African Baboon spider

RoseHair

Arachnopeon
As i have poster before i am rather new to spiders. I bought my first (rose hair) and now i am looking at another one. It is a very small African Baboon spider, well i think it was african, ill have to look again. Is this a good spider for a beginer. How is it compared to my rose hair?

priZZ

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think Your new spider is Citharischius crawshayi, a very slow growing and agressive spider. Agressive if You see it, because there is little chances to see it often. He always hides in his burrow, and actually coming out in the night.

Also very big, about 8 cm body if adult female.

RoseHair

Arachnopeon
So just a little bigger than 3 inches fully grown? as of now it is probly 3-1/3 to 4 cm big only. So it is agresive and wouldnt be a good spider for a begginer like me?

priZZ

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would say, every spider is perfect for a beginner, but handle them with respect, patients, and good care.

In my opinion there is no beginner-spider, or just for advanced keepers...

morda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
priZZ - and what about a noob buying Stroamtopelma ? :D

Crawshayi is a cool spider. You can buy also P. murinus or some Ceratogyrus sp. They are cool but You need to be carefull with them.

Citharischius

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
priZZ said:
I think Your new spider is Citharischius crawshayi, a very slow growing and agressive spider. Agressive if You see it, because there is little chances to see it often. He always hides in his burrow, and actually coming out in the night.

Also very big, about 8 cm body if adult female.

Aggresive is not the right word to use . This spider is just defensive .
I've got a fully grown adult female , and she's not aggresive at all .
When I bought her , I asked to guy if he could show me how she would react on an interruption . She was just reacting as any other african spider . "Put your hands up , in the air !" {D
Well she did this for like 3 minutes and the guy was picking the spider on and on . Then she stridulated (dont know how you spell it) loud and it was amazing ! She's a real beauty .

When you buy a C.crawsayi , you'll need a large tank . make a deep hole on the side of the tank so you can see her through the glass ;) Put it in a dark and quiet place.

You can sure begin with this spider, if you read enough about it , and just DONT touch it !
Ohyeah , and indeed . THEY ARE HUGE ! :}

morda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Indeed - don't touch it.
I sa an interesting behavior. My sling (1" about in LS) attacked the tweezers and stridulated (of course I wasn't able to hear it - it just made the same moves like stridulating spider). So even very small crawshayi is quite deffensive. Growing very slow...

Citharischius

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
morda said:
Indeed - don't touch it.
I sa an interesting behavior. My sling (1" about in LS) attacked the tweezers and stridulated (of course I wasn't able to hear it - it just made the same moves like stridulating spider). So even very small crawshayi is quite deffensive. Growing very slow...

hmhm indeed you are :)
My boyfriend (Pterinochilus on the forum) has 2 small slings too :) gihghi they are very cute :rolleyes:
I bought mine as an adult female (wild captured ) for €50,- I think this is a good price, Someday I hoop to breed little crawshayi's .
So , if anyone has a lovely male ???? :rolleyes:

But

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
RoseHair said:
As i have poster before i am rather new to spiders. I bought my first (rose hair) and now i am looking at another one. It is a very small African Baboon spider, well i think it was african, ill have to look again. Is this a good spider for a beginer. How is it compared to my rose hair?
All African spiders are Baboon spiders and there is quite a variety so I would make sure you know what you are getting and then do some research. All of them should be considered Defensive/aggressive.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
how exactly did we come straight to the conclusion its C. crawshayi with the info given? " african baboon" could be any number of african Theraphosids.

priZZ

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That was my bad, I named first C. crawshayi. Sorry.