Escape proof Centipede Terrarium

Pocco

Arachnopeon
I orderen a ethmostigmus trigonopodus (yellow leg) from BugzUk. The terrarium im am planning to keep it in is a glass terrarium (50cm x 40 cm x 30 cm). No lids and no gaps (except one tiny). The only possible way for anything to get in of out is trough the sliding doors in front. I have made a lock so it is impossible for the pede to push the doors open (not shown in the photoes). But when the doors are closed, it creates a tiny gap between the doors. This is the gao that worries me. But the gap i REALLY small. The standard viviarium loocks did not fit because the gap was too small. For something to get true it has to be the size of a paper clip ( i have tested). My friend who own a scolopendra polymorpha thinks it is OK.
I just wanted to make sure with u guys, so what do you think?

I am planning on replacing the E. trigonopodus with a S. dehaani next year.

Terra1.jpg Terra2.jpg Terra3.jpeg

Mastigoproctus

Centiman
My only worry is the gap in between the sliding doors, can you fit a butter knife between the gap? If so you run a big risk of it slowly squeezing it's self through the gap in the door. I have had pedes pull some magician moves on me so just be extra carful and cover all your bases. Use a average sized house hold Philips screw driver as the basis for a hole an average adult Ethmostigmus can squeeze through and like I said a butter knife for how thin it can squeeze it's self. as long as there is nothing on the setup that either of those two items can fit through you should be good. I ask though, what size Ethmostigmus did you order?

Last edited:

Pocco

Arachnopeon
I ordered betweem 12-16 cm. Do you have any idea how i can seal the gap?

Mastigoproctus

Centiman
You may not have to seal it, can you open the doors and get a picture of the gap with a ruler so I can see how many mm the gap is?

Pocco

Arachnopeon
It is about 1 mm. As i said i dont think it will get thorugh:biggrin: 11950804_1192780797405230_1777542382_n.jpg

tegendemuur

Arachnopeon
You're good for sure I think, it's way tight.
What size of slit/hole would have been to large?

Offtopic: Next month I'll order the same Ethmostigmus (+ S. subspinipes from Thailand) from BugzUK. I'm curious about your experiences with Martin. I wonder about the shivers when I encounter my first centipede in real life, haha! ;)

Mastigoproctus

Centiman
What size of slit/hole would have been to large?

Offtopic: Next month I'll order the same Ethmostigmus (+ S. subspinipes from Thailand) from BugzUK. I'm curious about your experiences with Martin. I wonder about the shivers when I encounter my first centipede in real life, haha! ;)
well it really depends on what size pede you get. Centipedes can fit through tighttttt spaces so I would need to know the size of the pede you will be ordering and then I can better assist you. I honestly use huge glass jars too tall for the pede to climb out and make lids using screen but that's just my preferred enclosure.

8 Legged Techie

Arachnopeon
The ONLY centipedes that managed to escape on me were in enclosures like that. Centipedes can climb the glass by inserting their legs into the small slit to reach the lid, which, IMO, should be the last thing you would a centipede to do.

Honestly, for my centipedes, I use rubbermaid containers that I drilled small holes into the top. Usually the lids snap on really tight, they come in a a variety of sizes (easy to find one too tall for a centipede to climb), they're cheap, and they keep the humidity high.

Pocco

Arachnopeon
The ONLY centipedes that managed to escape on me were in enclosures like that. Centipedes can climb the glass by inserting their legs into the small slit to reach the lid, which, IMO, should be the last thing you would a centipede to do.

Honestly, for my centipedes, I use rubbermaid containers that I drilled small holes into the top. Usually the lids snap on really tight, they come in a a variety of sizes (easy to find one too tall for a centipede to climb), they're cheap, and they keep the humidity high.
Yeah but the thing is, that there is no lid

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
At the approx center, how far apart can you force the two pieces of glass? Glass does flex after all and sporkers like pedes are very determined when it comes to wedging themselves into narrow cracks and crevices.

PS Very nice looking set up.

varanoid

Arachnopeon
If it were me I would put wax paper on one of the doors where they seal then close the doors and run a bead of silicone. After it has dried, touch up with a razor. I do this on many tanks I have to feed fruit flies.

Pocco

Arachnopeon
The glass cant be forced eighter way. Not how my setup look at the moment. This was my setup for my heterometrus scorpion last year. The setup is much better noe. I will post a picture tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip varanoid. I will try this since i am going to use the enclosure for a scolopemdra hainanum in the future.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
With thinner glass, apparently not the stuff in this terrarium, you can always attach a second pieces of glass, even just a thin strip that can be used as a handle, along the edge to reinforce and resist flexing. Getting creative with silicone glue, as the wax paper-do it yourself sealing gasket, can come in very handy.

Pocco

Arachnopeon
So I decided to convert this terrarium to a Scolopendra Dehaani tank. Therefor I cut out the aluminum mesh on the top, and replaced it with a plexi top which i can put on and off. That way i dont have to use the sliding doors for maintenance and risk the centipede escaping. I also put a lock on the doors. The plexi top was flexing a bit when i pushed it up from the inside. Only a couple of mm. But i placed 2 x 1 kg weights on top. What do you guys think? :)

Attachments

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've used pieces of trim similar to this for sliding doors to keep crickets in.

http://www.marlite.com/Images/StandardFRP/PVCTrim-M360-OutsideCorner.png

it doesn't have to be this style it can be a simple "C" shaped trim. Remember those professional looking plastic report binders we all loved as kids when we had term papers due in school. I've used the plastic spines from these as well.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbui4bdRR31rey5euo1_1280.jpg

The only problem with using something like this is you have to be careful so they don't scratch the other glass as they slide by. Get a piece of rock chip or even dust and you can get scratches. Anything soft enough not to scratch would probably be chewed up by the pede. I've only ever used them to keep crickets in so I wasn't too concerned. If I were trying to contain centipedes I might want to go with something like carbon fiber or titanium.

Pocco

Arachnopeon
I've used pieces of trim similar to this for sliding doors to keep crickets in.

http://www.marlite.com/Images/StandardFRP/PVCTrim-M360-OutsideCorner.png

it doesn't have to be this style it can be a simple "C" shaped trim. Remember those professional looking plastic report binders we all loved as kids when we had term papers due in school. I've used the plastic spines from these as well.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbui4bdRR31rey5euo1_1280.jpg

The only problem with using something like this is you have to be careful so they don't scratch the other glass as they slide by. Get a piece of rock chip or even dust and you can get scratches. Anything soft enough not to scratch would probably be chewed up by the pede. I've only ever used them to keep crickets in so I wasn't too concerned. If I were trying to contain centipedes I might want to go with something like carbon fiber or titanium.
I was thinking about using some pci silicoferm silicon to fill the mm gaps. How do you think this would work?

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was thinking about using some pci silicoferm silicon to fill the mm gaps. How do you think this would work?

Let us know how it works. I'd be afraid it would hit the other glass and grab it so to speak. It's kind of rubbery and I don't think two pieces of glass would pass each other very easily if they touched with silicone between.

Pocco

Arachnopeon
The glass gripped a little at first, but it worked out fine when i trimmed it. Happy with the results!

Attachments