P. irminia breeding conditions

Mello

ArachnoQUEEN
Hello! I believe I asked this on the Facebook arachnoboards and got 0 responses. So now that my male is about 1.5 months mature and made sperm web and all that fun stuff, I would like your professional experienced advise as to how I should pair these! Do I need to replicate a specific season of Venezuela? If so, how? I tried to pair them once and the male was not loaded so it was just an hour and a half watching nothing. Any input would be appreciated, even if it's a link to a similar thread with some words of "search function." Thanks in advance!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Not necessary. Venezuela, like most countries, has a variety of climates, do you know which irminia are native to?

Males load up within a couple weeks after their final molt. Did you pair yours up sooner than that? He's at his peak now. Just because nothing happens doesn't mean he didn't have full emboli. If nothing happens in 15 or 20 minutes, take the male out. How big/old is the female and when did she last shed? She should be recently molted and been fed well.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Its a lot like poec said its more timing than replicating the seasons...

I'm surprised you had trouble irminia are usually pretty straightforward...if your male is making sperm webs chances are he's locked and loaded.. Did he act twitchy and drum or was he a coward type male?

Did your female show any interest? Drumming, moving out of her curtain/burrow towards him? If not she could be too young..

If she was interested and he was loaded but showed no interest he was either terrified of being eaten or ( no offence to you) you did something to cause things to go wrong... A lot of stress when transferring him to her enclosure, a lot of movement or loud vibrations in the room and sometimes bright lights can put the male into a weird mood..

Did you only try the once or did you pair them again?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Right. If the female's not receptive, it's unlikely the most eager male in his prime can get an insertion. If the male's not initiating courtship (from her scent in the cage and from walking on her silk) then the odds are even lower. 15-20 minutes will tell you. There needs to be no disruptions (being breathed on, people moving or talking, music, etc). They need to be able to focus on each other. The male should be scooped up calmly and placed gently in the female's cage so he doesn't panic.

Mello

ArachnoQUEEN
The female molted probably 4 months ago? I haven't been recording molts anymore so I'm not entirely sure but I know it was fairly recent. And she's roughly 6-7". When I did try the first and only time, she came out. I'm certain I introduced him wrong now that I think about it though. I was scared of him bolting out so i closed him in with the female. I think this time I'll get a big container that can hold both their enclosures and let him come out, and into her area, on his own. Thank you for the info!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The female molted probably 4 months ago? I haven't been recording molts anymore so I'm not entirely sure but I know it was fairly recent. And she's roughly 6-7".

Irminia doesn't get 6-7". That's the size of cambridgei, the largest of the Psalmopoeus.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Irminia doesn't get 6-7". That's the size of cambridgei, the largest of the Psalmopoeus.
Eh.. She's a girl small hands make everything look bigger... OP my irminias go at about 4 1/2 -5in if she's in that range she should be fine..

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
They rarely get over the 5.5" mark. 5" are the norm for adult females.

Last edited:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
They rarely get even over the 5.5" mark. 5" are the norm for adult females.
agreed largest iv seen besides my own [my mm probably pushes 5 1/8] is a ~5.65 fm whos guesstimated at 15ish yrs [give or take ofcourse its a buddies and shes WC and hasnt grown in like 6 yrs]

Mello

ArachnoQUEEN
Okay yea she probably isn't that large then. I haven't measured she just looks huge.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Okay yea she probably isn't that large then. I haven't measured she just looks huge.
Well in allfairness i can look huge too if you put me out in a field with very short grass and nothing to compare me to but a very very distant treeline ^.^ (ie looks are decieving)