Just got an Acanthoscurria geniculata, any advice?

CoinJar

Arachnopeon
I return once again from a long absence (been working two jobs to save up for a move and to start repaying student loans), but anywayyy...

I've decided to diversify my collection which currently consists of 4 G. Rosea adults (3 females and 1 male) and a juvenile female B. Smithi (got her when she was about 1.5", most recent molt confirmed she is 100% female, woo!); so I have ordered two new specimens from Ken The Bug Guy which have yet to arrive.

One is a Red Trapdoor Spider (not a T so I understand this belongs in another forum), but the other is an unsexed 2.5" Acanthoscurria geniculate (or Giant White Knee).

Other than general advice for caring for this T, I have some other questions about it also as the information I have found elsewhere online has been very contradictory:

1 - What is the expected lifespan? Some sources say 3-5 years max for a female, while others claim the lifespan is comparable to a B. smithi.

2 - Are these docile T's or are they Lightning/Teleport biters that I should be highly careful with?

3 - Are there any particular items I should include in the housing or is the standard Hide/Substrate/Water-dish enough?

Looking forward to answers from experienced keepers :)

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
1 - I have no idea, hopefully someone else can help you on that

2 - genics are rather defensive, feeding and maintenance should be done with tongs, I can figure they can be quite fast as well for a terrestrial. These are great spiders and great eaters. (PS. Never get complacent around any T, no mater how "docile" you may think it is, anything can go wrong and Ts are very unpredictable)

3 - I think deep dry substrate, waterdish and a hide is suitable, just keep hard objects away from the sides. I think a damp spot on one side of the enclosure which is occasionally rotated when dried out is also suitable. I've never owned these so hopefully someone with experience on these species can help you further care wise.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
1) As with any tarantula, the life span will vary wildly depending on your husbandry and even where you live. Want it to live a very long time? Feed it sparingly, which will delay molts. Although, I wouldn't recommend this. They aren't the fastest growers, and 3-4 years sounds way off base in my opinion.

2) Yes, they are very fast for terrestrials, and will bite anything that gets close. A long paintbrush and tones are a necessity with this spider, even more than a P. murinus. Aggressive, aggressive, aggressive. Honestly though, I'm not even sure if they're aggressive or just have insatiable appetites. Regardless, keep your fingers away from it.

3) As with any terrestrial, a hide and water dish will suffice. This species likes it mildly humid, so moisten one corner as often as you need. If it starts hanging around the water dish a lot, then that's a sign you need higher humidity. If it constantly roams, then the humidity is too high.

Some side advice: Don't bother trying to tong feed this T. As aggressive as they are with their take downs, the risk of a broken fang is just too high. Trust me, this species doesn't need your help! This is one of my favorite species, I hope you enjoy yours!

Last edited:

KristinaMG

Arachnosquire
I'm not an expert on these, since I've only had mine for about 2 months. He is 1.5 inches now, has molted once in my care, a few weeks ago. Right now he's one of my favorites though. Never rejects a meal except when he was premolt. Fast and aggressive little hunter so it's fun to watch him eat. He is almost always in the open, even though he has cleared out a den under his cork bark. When I open the enclosure for feeding or maintenance he always retreats to his den until I'm done, but is right back out once it's 'safe' again. Active, visible, good eater, fast growing=my favorite kind of T.

Ethan4791

Arachnopeon
Unless I'm mistaken 3-5 years is how long it takes them to mature not their lifespan

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Great choice, a true hobby classic. Big, beautiful, & hardy.

Genic males live around 3 to 4 years, females probably 15 or so. Species from dry and/or temperate climates (Brachypelma, Aphonopelma, etc) grow slow, mature slower, and live longer. Tropicals from rainier climates do everything on a shorter time table with females living 10 up to maybe 20 years for some. The actual longevity of geniculata is in between the two you were told; so don't look to those sources for reliable information.

I keep mine on slightly moist bagged topsoil (I can't stand cocofiber), with moderate cross ventilation. They get a piece of cork and a water bowl (I use disposable ones, soufflé cups, as they'll periodically deposit boluses and feces in them). They're almost always hungry. Feed slings and juveniles 2 or 3 times a week until premolt. My adult and subadult females get fed half a dozen crickets per feeding, twice a month. I've never had a defensive pose from mine (some people have), but they're high strung, unpredictable, and strike fast. Please don't handle yours.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are one of my favorites, except for the hairs they are the best.
Not a spider I would handle but allot of fun to own. I prefer peat moss for substrate.
Here's a pic for viewing pleasure :D

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Had (female) "Genics" who lived 12 years with no problems, one hit 14, then R.I.P
They are not defensive (at least for me) nor fast, but of course they aren't lazy cute pet rocks like "Grammos" as well. A comfortable settled "Genic" in his/her enclosure would think that everything comes in the enclosure is.. food :)

Mine were probably, along with a female Lasiodora difficilis had long time ago, the best eaters ever of my collection. Really.
Once one of my "Genics", for a test, refused a prey only few hours prior to a molt. They are like "Slimer" of "Ghostbusters", always hungry. Easy to care. I keep mine a bit moist, but just a bit. I overfil a little the water dish, and their fine (adults, i mean) because where i live, humidity could be a bit higher.

I keep a good part of the enclosure bone dry. Never had a problem. Great T's, one of my fav.

As for the hide.. all of my "Genics" had/have a cork bark hide, but they are the BEST display T's ever. No matter how many people are looking at them.. "Genics" loves to stay in the open (at least all the "Genics" i had).
One of the best display T.

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
1 - What is the expected lifespan? Some sources say 3-5 years max for a female, while others claim the lifespan is comparable to a B. smithi.

2 - Are these docile T's or are they Lightning/Teleport biters that I should be highly careful with?

3 - Are there any particular items I should include in the housing or is the standard Hide/Substrate/Water-dish enough?

Looking forward to answers from experienced keepers :)
CLICKY - first post, scroll down beneath the pictures. Should give an idea.

CoinJar

Arachnopeon
Thanks!

Thanks for all the info, I'll try to be more cautious around this one than with my Rosehairs. I actually leaned a lesson recently with the rosies, as one tagged my arm as I was cleaning feces from the side of her tank. No more painful than a sweat bee sting, but still not a pleasant experience.

My package from Ken The Bug Guy is currently "on Fedex vehicle to destination" so I should have them in a matter of hours now. I'll be sure to post pics!

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Thanks for all the info, I'll try to be more cautious around this one than with my Rosehairs. I actually leaned a lesson recently with the rosies, as one tagged my arm as I was cleaning feces from the side of her tank. No more painful than a sweat bee sting, but still not a pleasant experience.

My package from Ken The Bug Guy is currently "on Fedex vehicle to destination" so I should have them in a matter of hours now. I'll be sure to post pics!
Please use tongs when doing maintenance, and not your hands.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Please use tongs when doing maintenance, and not your hands.

+1. A lot of tarantulas have a very positive feeding response and in a millisecond will strike anything they think might be prey. You do not want an adult genic mistaking your finger for something edible.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
+1. A lot of tarantulas have a very positive feeding response and in a millisecond will strike anything they think might be prey. You do not want an adult genic mistaking your finger for something edible.
^^^ this!
My genic strikes and anything and everything and she's only ab 3.5". Just wait til they get full grown! Confidence often comes with size and these guys get pretty big!!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
^^^ this!
My genic strikes and anything and everything and she's only ab 3.5". Just wait til they get full grown! Confidence often comes with size and these guys get pretty big!!

They get 8", and are very strong.

Pancakensyrup

Arachnosquire
I've only had my A. Gen for about 3 months she's about 6" and yes she moves as quick as lightning espesh for food....she's always out except when she got food or cleaning herself then she's in her hide

She has a bowl of water which is kept topped up and spray every 3-4 days she dosent hang around her water bowl...all though I've seen her drink from it on occasion which is cool and she dosent mooch round her cage that much either so think I got that bit right lol

As for feeding she's not refused anything that's gone in the tank and she will eat...and eat....and eat....and eat and always takes it like she's never been fed!!!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I've only had my A. Gen for about 3 months she's about 6" and yes she moves as quick as lightning espesh for food....she's always out except when she got food or cleaning herself then she's in her hide

She has a bowl of water which is kept topped up and spray every 3-4 days she dosent hang around her water bowl...all though I've seen her drink from it on occasion which is cool and she dosent mooch round her cage that much either so think I got that bit right lol

As for feeding she's not refused anything that's gone in the tank and she will eat...and eat....and eat....and eat and always takes it like she's never been fed!!!

Spraying only blows hairs airborne, and isn't needed in anyways. To add moisture/humidity, sprinkle a little water on the substrate.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Spraying only blows hairs airborne, and isn't needed in anyways. To add moisture/humidity, sprinkle a little water on the substrate.
Do you possess any reference or literature to this ??

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you possess any reference or literature to this ??
I don't think he really needs to for something like this. Just seems like basic physics to me.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Which basic physics law state's : misting causes airborne tarantula hair ??