Is it really necessary to change out all the substrate annually?

KristinaMG

Arachnosquire
When I got my first T a little over a year ago I had read that you should change out all the substrate for fresh substrate once a year. Is this actually true? TIA.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
When I got my first T a little over a year ago I had read that you should change out all the substrate for fresh substrate once a year. Is this actually true? TIA.
Does it smell, have mold ,attract flies or covered in poo? If not its good until it does..

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
I agree with 14pokies.

I haven't had to change my sub in about 1.6 year's, just take out anything that may cause problems ie food balus etc.

I'm going to change my LPs sub this week but only cause I'm going to change the setup.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I only change out substrate when I encounter issues with mold (which can be avoided with good cross-ventilation), mites and other parasites such as fungal gnats, and obviously during rehouses. I usually scoop the poo from substrate (rarely, I have aboreals and they tend to poo on the sides), and remove bolusses etc. I have had some of my Ts on the same sub for more than 8 months and it's still good.

IMO it's very unnecessary to change out substrate regularly without any logical reason. It causes stress especially when the Ts home is continuously disturbed or destroyed.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
No. Is only necessary when is really necessary. I have, among other obligate burrowers, AF Megaphobema robustum and Pelinobius muticus. They love their homes, they worked a lot for create those, a lot of time and efforts, especially Megaphobema robustum, poor baby.. (i received her for free, from a previous - a very poor husbandry/care one - owner) for create their home, their safe haven. To change those babies substrate every year would be asking only for angry, stressed T's.. even deaths IMO.
I check on daily basis and remove prey boluses. No mold. Zero problems.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
IMO it's very unnecessary to change out substrate regularly without any logical reason. It causes stress especially when the Ts home is continuously disturbed or destroyed.

+1. Mine keep their substrate for years. No big collector/breeder I know changes substrate annually, some never do. All you need to do is pick out the boluses, dead prey, and dried feces. Many of mine have a designated trash corner for this stuff, which they tightly pack. Saves you from having to look around the cage for trash. They put a lot of time into customizing their homes, and to have them destroyed is stressful.

awiec

Arachnoprince
As long as the sub is clean I end up reusing it for other animals when I do re-houses, I also try to save a little webbing from their old home as that seems to help them adjust to their new one a little faster but most spiders will spin and dig within being in a new cage for a few minutes. So unless you got moldy/parasite ridden sub then I would keep it and re-use as often as possible and a little spot cleaning goes a long way in keeping your sub in top shape.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
My personal advice i learned in those (almost, would hit 25 years of T's keeping on January/22/2016, date of my birthday) 25 years of T's keeping.. always a clean, full water dish, to everyone. Moist substrate to those T's who need moist substrate.
Remove prey boluses asap. Offer our 8 legged babies well hydratated preys. No need for spring "cleaning" (substrate).
Enjoy and watch them like a sadist, perverted serial killer watch his blonde screaming cheerleader tied to a chair in his cellar. Smiling, with the same passion.

cold blood

Staff member
I agree with the others...substrate does NOT just go bad. The only reason to change it is because of a catastrophe, like an infestation....I have enclosures with the same sub for many years....my porteri has the same sub I put in nearly 15 years ago....changing it for the sake of changing it is both a waste of time/money/effort and an unnecessary disruption for the t.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
True substrate doesn't just go bad.

I can't remember the last time i really had to change any of my T's sub (least 2-3 yr+) excluding my LP who was changed 1.6 yr ago...Have to change it soon cause she's out grown her current setup thus do have to change but i always put a lot of her old sub in the new enclosure.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Simple answer: No.

Unless: Lots of mold (a little bit is fine), mites, fungus or the like.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I assume Chris lowers a bottle of lotion down into the burrows of the hiders.

I never change all substrate -- even when a mealie got lost, I just sifted through it and then put same substrate back in -- even laid Ts' saved 'web carpet' back on top for her to make it seem like it was still home.
I did have an OBT who kept spilling his water dish, area got very wet and stayed wet, so I feared mold -- but I only spooned out that area and replaced with dry substrate.

I don't guess I have ever changed all the substrate, ever. If I have, I don't recall it.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Enjoy and watch them like a sadist, perverted serial killer watch his blonde screaming cheerleader tied to a chair in his cellar. Smiling, with the same passion.
:o_O:

Uh, nope, that doesn't sound insane at all...