Want to get a T and I live in Australia

Xicious

Arachnopeon
Hi there arachnoboards! Its a pleasure to get to use this site. A couple of months ago I would've actually called myself an arachnophobe. I wasn't capable of being in the same room as a spider. However one day I decided to fix my problem. I slowly began exposing myself to more spiders and forcing myself to stay in the same room of spiders I knew were harmless. However the thing that helped cure my arachnophobia the most are tarantulas. They're just so beautiful that I found that by looking at them and understanding them I started seeing spiders as natural works of art rather then something to be feared. Thanks to them I have reached the point where I am not only content to be around spiders but I absolutely love seeing them.

When I found out you could get Ts as pets I became pretty happy only to then realise that I live in Australia. Pretty much any living thing that doesn't occur naturally within Australia is banned here and that includes all foreign spiders. As far as I know Australia only has a couple of aggressive old world tarantula species and thats about it. So my question is are there any Ts within Australia that can be kept as pets and if so how does one go about getting them? The only animals I have kept prior to this are some species of stick insects, katydids and beetles so my experience with pets isn't anything notable. I'm fine with pretty much anything regardless of colour, handling and enclosure as long as it isn't something too overwhelming for a newbie such as myself. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I feel like buying a pet is huge undertaking and I want be absolutely ready when I do buy one. Thanks for reading.

cold blood

Staff member
There are many species of t in Austrailia, however they are all of the potent old world variety and tend to be pretty nasty.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Maybe try keeping some less toxic ( if any exist over there that is!) True spiders so that you can get used to doing rehousings and feedings...ya know just to get a general feel for how spiders move and behave in captivity...

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
There are many species of t in Austrailia, however they are all of the potent old world variety and tend to be pretty nasty.

Which makes them 'highly desirable.' They're far more varied, active, and interesting than the Aphonopelma native to the US. I'm thrilled to have the 6 species of Australian Phlogius that I do. They're one of the reasons I got back into the hobby 3 years ago.

cold blood

Staff member
Which makes them 'highly desirable.' They're far more varied, active, and interesting than the Aphonopelma native to the US. I'm thrilled to have the 6 species of Australian Phlogius that I do. They're one of the reasons I got back into the hobby 3 years ago.
For people like us, yes, but for a newb who was afraid of spiders just 6 months ago....I dunno:unsure:

Xicious

Arachnopeon
I see. So if Australian tarantulas are too harsh as a first spider are there any true spiders I can keep to get me into the hobby?