Water crystals as H2O source for t's?

Chris11

ArachnoBat
Ok first off this is just a question, i do not do this. I use R/O for all my animals. Just got back home from purchasing a few t's from someone. He took care of them very well besides some not having enough substrate in my opinion but for every one he had a bowl with water crystals in it. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this or done it.

P.s. ive already cleaned out the crystals and they all have actual water. Thanks!

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Actual water in a dish is by far the best option.

To my knowledge, tarantulas actually can't obtain moisture from the crystals.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't know anyone who has successfully used these for Ts. I wouldn't try it.

cold blood

Staff member
What is R/O?

No, no, no, no to water crystals....that's just ridiculousness. Whats wrong with just plain old water.:wall:

Glad its not in a better place now.

Chris11

ArachnoBat
What is R/O?

No, no, no, no to water crystals....that's just ridiculousness. Whats wrong with just plain old water.:wall:

Glad its not in a better place now.
Reverse osmosis water, goes through a process that takes all oragnic and inorganic particles out of it and leaves only pure water

cold blood

Staff member
Reverse osmosis water, goes through a process that takes all oragnic and inorganic particles out of it and leaves only pure water

Geez, and I've been using tap water for 15 years:wall:

I don't see that as necessary, after all, they drink from puddles and wet soil in the wild. Ain't gonna hurt though:laugh:

Chris11

ArachnoBat
Yeah i know but when i was keeping saltwater fish i had the water district send me a test of the water and it has very minute amounts of copper in it which i believe is highly toxic to any inverts... i just bought an r/o machine for about $180 and hooked it up to my water line.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Geez, and I've been using tap water for 15 years:wall:

I don't see that as necessary, after all, they drink from puddles and wet soil in the wild. Ain't gonna hurt though:laugh:
Well, doubtful there is chlorine or flouride in those puddles though. I do let my water sit overnight to de-chlorinate, but I am sure the flouride is still in there. Based on your 15 years, I am going to hope tap water is okay.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Why in the world would the idea of water crystals sound appealing? Is water now obsolete? Or just not profitable enough?

Chris11

ArachnoBat
Why in the world would the idea of water crystals sound appealing? Is water now obsolete? Or just not profitable enough?
i have no idea lol i think water is great! I didnt ask him why... damn now i wish i had

cold blood

Staff member
Well, doubtful there is chlorine or flouride in those puddles though. I do let my water sit overnight to de-chlorinate, but I am sure the flouride is still in there. Based on your 15 years, I am going to hope tap water is okay.
I do let it sit in a bucket in the t room and I draw my water from the bucket and not generally directly from the tap (although I do sometimes), but yeah, there are certain things that remain....I just don't think its too big of a deal.

My city had an issue with cryptosporidium a few decades ago and since then we have some of the cleanest tap in the country from what I understand....it still has the fluoride though as well as some chlorine, but the chlorine dissipates quickly, even if you just fill the dish straight away, its not like a dog that will go right over and drink the entire bowl...its gonna sit in the dish long enough to have basically the same effect as leaving it in the bucket.....I keep the bucket full of water as an added humidity booster (along with several aquariums).

---------- Post added 09-08-2015 at 09:58 PM ----------

i have no idea lol i think water is great! I didnt ask him why... damn now i wish i had

Yeah I wouldn't have been able to keep quiet seeing that...that was an educational opportunity lost.

Chris11

ArachnoBat
Im going to call him tomorrow and ask. Im bothered by this lol

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
its not like a dog that will go right over and drink the entire bowl...its gonna sit in the dish long enough to have basically the same effect as leaving it in the bucket
Yes! That's why I like to fill the parrot dishes at night before beddie bye -- they're not going to drink until morning -- de-chlorinated overnight. (I hope) lol
Now cats .... they LIKE the chlorine smell and taste. No idea why.

---------- Post added 09-08-2015 at 11:08 PM ----------

Im going to call him tomorrow and ask. Im bothered by this lol
Well, he looked after your Ts and they survived! I don't know single soul who would look after my 'monster spiders' for me. I would just, if you needed his babysitting again, mention no crystals are needed and plain water in dish is fine.
Glad your Ts came through fine! :)

Chris11

ArachnoBat
They werent mine until tonight ellen! Im very happy that theyre fine as well... all of his t's were healthy. I came out of there with a mf p. Regalis, a mf obt, a sub adult female c. Darlingi and a juvie male c. Darlingi! Theres not one person i know who would "dare" look after my vicious bloodthirsty babies!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
They werent mine until tonight ellen! Im very happy that theyre fine as well... all of his t's were healthy. I came out of there with a mf p. Regalis, a mf obt, a sub adult female c. Darlingi and a juvie male c. Darlingi! Theres not one person i know who would "dare" look after my vicious bloodthirsty babies!
Ah, I scanned your post -- you caught me. lol Just saw "R/O for all your animals" and then "someone used crystals" and assumed it a babysitting gig. Yeah, I hope I never need a babysitter because I don't know anyone near me who isn't terrified of my Ts. I don't get it -- they are contained! :)

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use RO water for just about every thing . The tap water here is pretty bad so if I won't drink it I won't give it to my animals either . While it might be fine for them it just makes me feel better lol . I also know someone that has used water crystals for years with their Ts and said he's never had an issue and finds it lasts longer in small dishes . I still use water I don't find it to be necessary to use crystals . Giving Ts water is for me just part of good keeping and no more than time consuming and you get to see all your Ts while doing so .

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Tarantulas can only consume liquid so they have a harder time obtaining moisture from water crystals unlike insects which have chewing mouth parts. Insects more or less eat the water crystals to get moisture from it.

Is anyone else ever concerned about their own health when water crystals have the statement "known to the state of California to cause cancer and other reproductive harm" on the label? For me, that is a good enough reason to use plain old water and not the crystals.