New slings

PsyC

Arachnosquire
hey guys. i just got my 3 new slings. 1 GBB, 1 b smithi and 1 B annitha. The first 2 are ok. the annitha sling is trying to climb the vial. is that normal. before put them in the vials i warmed up the substract in the microwave and let it cool down.
Should i put 1 or 2 drops of water for humidity?

thanks

cold blood

Staff member
Slings should be kept on slightly damp substrate.

Be careful with the vials, they're not the best choice for the average person IME. I much prefer condiment cups like you'd put ketchup in, they're much easier to properly ventilate as well as clean.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree with cold blood about the vial not being a very good way to keep slings. But I only tend to give my restless sling even more room than condiment cups or deli cups, I may get burned for this but I use the small tubs that you get feeders in the ones around 6"x3"x2" this may seem like it's a little large for slings around 1/2" but they tend to settle and I often see them in different areas just chilling out so they seem content they also have zero feeding issues and I'm currently keeping 15 slings all 1/2" or under this way without issues.

Ps 2 of them are B annitha

cold blood

Staff member
Can you post a pic, as I don't keep my crickets in such a "tub", I'm curious as to what they look like.

Sounds a little big, but not really too big at all as long as the slings aren't poor eaters. I mean a 16oz deli cup is a lot of room for 1/2" slings, but they do quite well in them...I use them for slings that are decent eaters.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can you post a pic, as I don't keep my crickets in such a "tub", I'm curious as to what they look like.

Sounds a little big, but not really too big at all as long as the slings aren't poor eaters. I mean a 16oz deli cup is a lot of room for 1/2" slings, but they do quite well in them...I use them for slings that are decent eaters.
If you look closely you can see there's 14 rows of 4 pre cut vents which I think makes them pretty good to use and my little Pampho seems happy in there

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
That might be too big for a little Brachy, but a pamph sling could actually deal with 3 times that amount of room without a single issue. They do have one of the best feeding responses out there.....nearly impossible for prey to hide from these beasties and they never dilly dally with their food, they just pounce instantly every time.....as reliable as a Honda they are.

I would keep an area of that sub damp, the genus is prone to dehydration, even with the nice water dish they don't like it too dry.

Cool hide!

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I still don't see the problem with vials. I've never lost a sling in a vial and I've raised about a dozen or more in vials. They're molting fine, eating fine and they seem happy overall. :coffee:

cold blood

Staff member
We- Used by a speaker to refer to himself or herself and one or more people considered together.

Know- To be aware of through observation, inquiry or information.

:wink:

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
We- Used by a speaker to refer to himself or herself and one or more people considered together.

Know- To be aware of through observation, inquiry or information.

:wink:

That barely answers my question. I sense a little sarcasm in his reply, I'd like to know why. ;)

PsyC

Arachnosquire
Slings should be kept on slightly damp substrate.

Be careful with the vials, they're not the best choice for the average person IME. I much prefer condiment cups like you'd put ketchup in, they're much easier to properly ventilate as well as clean.
I put a few drops of water yesterday. I already fed them all. Im waiting for 2 new slings, 1 Pterinopelma sazmai and 1 Pterinopelma sazmai. I just love the colours.