When do you draw the line?

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
I know this is a controversial topic and the T knows better than I do but how long do you wait before you go digging? I mean at some point you have to make sure that they are even still in there and I was just wondering how long you give them (I'm expecting different amounts of time for species and age of course).

I'm only asking because I hadn't seen my C.fasciatum (1/3) for 3 months so I went digging to find a 1/2 inch and very dead T:cry: I feel like if I checked on him earlier I could have done something but he is very far gone now.

Regards
James

truecreature

Arachnoknight
Aww sorry about your sling, that sucks.

The only time I've ever dug up a T so far was when I hadn't seen one of my little 1/2' M. balfouri's for two months. Being such an expensive spider I was worried about it. but turns out it was fine. It's still extremely reclusive and I haven't seen it since; the only way I know it's still alive is because the crickets I leave in there keep magically disappearing overnight.

cold blood

Staff member
The only t I've ever dug up was a small B. smith and that's only because I could see that the burrow had collapsed.

I did recently lose a O. panay "blue" that burrowed down only to never return....but I only dug it up because I smelled death. I highly doubt there was actually anything you could have done...sling CPR hasn't been perfected as far as I know:wink:

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I dug up my M.balfouri sling because it's burrow had collapsed and it never did anything about it. It had another tunnel that didn't appear collapsed, but it would never come get it's food and I could see through the tiny window it left that it was just getting skinnier and skinnier, so I finally said to heck with what people say, I'm going in. I feel like, if I hadn't acted, she'd have eventually ended up in the state you found yours. I rehoused her in a more shallow container with a hide and she's done a lot better ever since; out in hunting mode on a regular basis and she eats very well now. She's also been a lot more proactive with her webbing. I normally would never house a burrower like that, but I consider her an exception because of that incident. She's also the only burrower I've ever had those kind of problems with so.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I lasted of all of two weeks before digging up my dead OBT burrowed under his hide. Knew something was wrong, not due for a moult, wasn't webbing or spending usual time 'top side' and all. Sometimes you just sorta know something isn't right.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've not ever dug up any T's . I've wanted to several times but I never have.
I've waited about 3mos before for a T to emerge, it did finally a mature male.
It's very difficult to wait given the time period, especially when we get almost everything immediately.

cold blood

Staff member
I haven't seen my OBT in about 45 days....no way I'm going in to dig her up....I don't think she's be happy about that....heck, she's never happy:eek:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I haven't seen my OBT in about 45 days....no way I'm going in to dig her up....I don't think she's be happy about that....heck, she's never happy:eek:
Mmm... Easiest way to tell if your obt is alive in a situation like that is to place a Bible on its enclosure and walk away for 10 minutes.. If its on fire when you get back its fine...

Issehalsey

Arachnopeon
I had a GBB molt, 3"+. It stayed in its hide for about a month, I would periodically check and saw legs, so I assumed all was ok. After that month or so, I decided to try to coax him out. He hadn't eaten yet, but I always kept water dish full. Turned out he had died. No idea why. Was not mature, and only had just got full adult colors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cold blood

Staff member
Mmm... Easiest way to tell if your obt is alive in a situation like that is to place a Bible on its enclosure and walk away for 10 minutes.. If its on fire when you get back its fine...
OMG, bad advice there, I had the fire dept. over at the house for 4 hours last night....the fire just wouldn't go out no matter how much water they poured on!

We finally put it out by going to the church across the street and getting the water blessed....apparently holy water is the only way to put out an OBT fire:eek:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I lasted of all of two weeks before digging up my dead OBT burrowed under his hide. Knew something was wrong, not due for a moult, wasn't webbing or spending usual time 'top side' and all. Sometimes you just sorta know something isn't right.
Sorry for that.. do you have other Pterinochilus murinus?

---------- Post added 09-12-2015 at 04:46 PM ----------

eh eh eh.. that's the only T able to amaze me after almost 25 years of T's keeping. All T's are unpredictable? Yeah.. but OBT more!
Really IMO nothing is like the mighty, great OBT. Nothing.

---------- Post added 09-12-2015 at 04:52 PM ----------

OMG, bad advice there, I had the fire dept. over at the house for 4 hours last night....the fire just wouldn't go out no matter how much water they poured on!

We finally put it out by going to the church across the street and getting the water blessed....apparently holy water is the only way to put out an OBT fire:eek:
Uhm.. they are from the Eastern part of Africa.. yes, lots of Christian people but a lot of Pterinochilus murinus could be Muslims as well, or better even Pagan Africans since they are so ancient, so Holy Water would not work :)

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Uhm.. they are from the Eastern part of Africa.. yes, lots of Christian people but a lot of Pterinochilus murinus could be Muslims as well, or better even Pagan Africans since they are so ancient, so Holy Water would not work :)
Yeah, I think mine worships satan....or maybe its just his spawn...I dunno:?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My usual advice would be to leave the T alone, they know what they're doing and we don't.
Mine was a special case, I think I probably smelled the death in the enclosure on a subconscious level. I certainly recognized a change in habit in my OBT - not pre-moult yet not eating, webbing, or out in open as mine usually was (except when moulting), etc.. I have gone months not seeing C frimbri sling and had no such similar concerns. I think sometimes you just have to trust your gut instincts.

---------- Post added 09-12-2015 at 07:30 PM ----------

Sorry for that.. do you have other Pterinochilus murinus?
No, and no plans for another OBT. That one broke my heart. (sigh)

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
typically i dont dig them up.. i have been known to move the moss on some T's to see if their alive [dang thing could hide so easily] but iv only ever dug up one T it was a smithi and was awol in loose coco and some of the burrow colapsed.. i found a pretty heavy premolt T who was NOT happy XD

i have one more i can hardly see.. i wont undig her tho.. i refuse XD if i can see a leg in the hole, or in the peephole, im happy.. but the smell of death is what will make me dig now and thats about it

Methal

Arachnosquire
I have only ever dug up one. 1 inch curly hair. burrowed in, closed itself off, 2 months later I still couldnt see it, and it wasn't eating. When I did peel off the top of her tunnels, she wasn't too happy with me. Very alive.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Will a book of Mormon suffice?

I don't dig anymore, I just play the waiting game at 3-4 am for an hour two. Reddit helps to pass the time.