Ventilation

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
If I wanted to add a few more ventilation holes for my versi's acrylic enclosure, how bad would it be to do it while she's still in there, do you think? The drilling would be nowhere near where her tube web is, but do you think the couple minutes of vibration could be a big problem? Or that there could be melted plastic fumes?

I can't just take her out, unfortunately, as the cork and plants she used to construct her web are hot glued in.

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You use both the terms drilling and melting, so I'll address both. :)

I would be very cautious drilling while a spider's in there, the minute flakes would probably not be immediately hazardous, but it's something I wouldn't care to introduce to an enclosure.

Likewise with melting plastic. Those fumes are toxic to us, and while I don't know how those would affect a tarantula, I wouldn't want to risk it.

I would really try and corral her into a catch cup while you do your modifications. Better safe than sorry!

Pancakensyrup

Arachnosquire
Might be better to destroy her web and remove her...than risk her being exposed to possible fumes

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
The only reason I mention melting is that a small amount of melting always happens when drilling plastic. It doesn't really make chips, it melts from the friction of the drill. This is why you need a special drill bit for acrylics.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
The only way i would suggest doing it is if you have a newer drill the kind that has a relatively quiet and low vibration motor and a smooth variable speed control... Go very slow and gentle backing the bit out completly and often so you dont rattle her fangs out and build up friction causing the acrylic to melt..

It depends on how confident you are and feel with your drill... I do a lot of construction and have been messin with enclosures for a long time so its not something i would be too worried about doing IF i had no other choice...

My first choice would be to coax her from the web and move her to a catch cup for a few mins even if it means tearing her web up a little.. She'll fix it..

soundsmith

Arachnopeon
Take a long piece of tape, get a small deli cup, tape the deli cup to the inside of the enclosure over the area where you will be drilling so that it can catch any plastic shavings and it should also help with fumes.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Hold a damp sponge over where the hole is going to penetrate into the enclosure. Drill into the sponge. It will reduce the heat and melting, dampen the sound, and block all flying debris and vapors. Please do not drill your fingers/hand.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I would personally remove mine for drilling.
I would also add, she's got nothing better to do than re-web anyway, lazy little T -- it'll give her a project to work on. :)

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
If I have to make more ventilation for my Ts and I don't want to move them, I simply open the lid, they go into their hides and I proceed with melting a few more holes. That way the fumes don't stay in the enclosure and I'm gentle so the T doesn't go whacko. I think, though, acrylic is too thick for melting (I do this with deli cups), so I would use Snark's suggestion.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I don't deny the possibility a few more holes could be drilled safely. I just don't see the point in taking the risk. It *probably* would be fine, but if it wasn't, you'd really be kicking yourself for not removing T first.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If I wanted to add a few more ventilation holes for my versi's acrylic enclosure, how bad would it be to do it while she's still in there, do you think? The drilling would be nowhere near where her tube web is, but do you think the couple minutes of vibration could be a big problem? Or that there could be melted plastic fumes?

I can't just take her out, unfortunately, as the cork and plants she used to construct her web are hot glued in.
Well if you want to possibly kill your T from chemical fumes (and there will be some), have fun!

How would you like it if someone shook your house for a while??

It's a bad idea...and that's me being polite using the word "bad".