Alrightly my T is dying (or dead now) on its back

Solspear

Arachnopeon
I thought I saw the tarantula last night on its back ready to molt and how exciting I thought, I could watch it do its thing and all would be right in the world, Hmm, Hmm! So great right? Wrong!:mask:
image.jpg
Here's the picture for that night, it looked like the body was a bit big, but by noon it looks like it shrunk by just a bit, or maybe not :o_O:

Okay... Don't know how to add pictures but I'm working around this thingy... Oh nice I got the pictures in! Yay.

Attachments

Last edited:

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Tarantulas use fluid pressure to molt. It appears that yours chose the empty water dish to lay down in.
How long has it been empty?? could be it is desiccated and cant finish its molt. You could very carefully move its legs aside and put a drop or two of water on its mouth,
and hope it will drink enough to molt. You wont drown the sling its lungs are on the abdomen. Good luck.
Slings are especially sensitive to drying out the water dish should never be empty.

Solspear

Arachnopeon
That can't be, if the sling ate a cricket before it should of filled up so it can molt. It must of been something in the cricket that jumped inside the sling. I'll have to place another drop of water then....

Solspear

Arachnopeon
Dude I've seen those pictures of grasshoppers being invaded by those worm parasites what if this happened here!

awiec

Arachnoprince
Dude I've seen those pictures of grasshoppers being invaded by those worm parasites what if this happened here!
I think it would have taken a little longer than that. It looks like it tried molting but the cage is too dry to allow it to continue. I would simply get a little eye dropper or even a small soft paint brush and put a drop of water on the mouth and then wet the sub a little.

You're going to have to relax, while you only have like 3-5 posts all of them convey to me that you need a strong drink or some Alprazolam.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, that's something you should have been concerned about before feeding a wild caught cricket to your tarantula, yeah?

Ingested internal parasites probably wouldn't cause symptoms this quickly.

Solspear

Arachnopeon
I think it's actually drinking the drop... Or maybe it's just slowly sliding off and into the cap. I hope it is drinking, ("/)

awiec

Arachnoprince
I think it's actually drinking the drop... Or maybe it's just slowly sliding off and into the cap. I hope it is drinking, ("/)
If it disappears put another on there (2-3 drops should re-hydrate it hopefully) and then wet the sub, you want to give this thing the best chance it has to molt.

Solspear

Arachnopeon
The apartment I'm in has a fire... Maybe the death of the tarantula was an omen. Hmm...

Last edited:

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Horsehair worms try to escape the dead body when the host dies, you'd know if that was the case.

You came here asking for help, maybe try listening to the people who know what they're talking about instead of arguing with everything. Your sling is in a death curl, usually indicates dehydration and given the state of it's enclosure (bark chips as substrate, dry waterdish) this wouldn't exactly be surprising.

Solspear

Arachnopeon
Yep. Thanks everyone. I'm surprised it was hydration, what with the tarantula being a desert spider and all....

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yep. Thanks everyone. I'm surprised it was hydration, what with the tarantula being a desert spider and all....
That shouldn't make a difference. They still drink water...

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

cold blood

Staff member
First off, t's require a certain amount of moisture when molting, even desert species. There should always be a water dish WITH water in it available.

Second, It appears to be a sling, all of which require more moisture than their adult counterparts.

What's the species?

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
bro.. just because its a desert species doesnt mean it doesnt need hydration or moist place to at least molt.. i help take care of Crotalus scutulatus (mojave rattlesnake] and even tho they are found in the desert.. we give them a moist hide [its a herps thing] which they seemingly never leave....because in the desert they find a rock or hole in which its cool, and possibly moist. same goes for spiders and T's.. burrows are not just to keep predators out, below the soil its much more damp and cooler from the hot sun and sense the sun cant hit the shade deep under a downed tree or nice big slab of rock.

moistures more vital then you think. especialy for a sling [mine are all kept moist but not soggy even my boehmeis was..] . making sure they have a clean dish of water every day can mean the difference in keeping her for 30 yrs and 30 days..

Solspear

Arachnopeon
It should be a G.Rosea. It's about 1 inch or just about, I'm sure it's a desert species that is what I read. Also currently the T is moving just barely, but that's probably a reaction from the air blowing at its hairs, it's curled, and still dead looking.

I'll say though, a widow spider is definitely much more hardy, don't need a water dish. That spider is still alive.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I live in the desert and my G.rosea's don't like how dry it is here so they all have and use quite frequently a water dish . With out it they would get dehydrated very easily . I even have to give them larger dishes to keep them happy and they are adults . As said before slings require available moisture at all times . Especially for molting .

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I live in the desert and my G.rosea's don't like how dry it is here so they all have and use quite frequently a water dish . With out it they would get dehydrated very easily . I even have to give them larger dishes to keep them happy and they are adults . As said before slings require available moisture at all times . Especially for molting .
Likewise. Since moving up here all my dry, arid natives spend a lot more time near or even in their waterbowls. As has been pointed out OP, they might be from dry areas but where they spend most of their time, deep underground, it's nice and cool and significantly moister than on the surface. It's the same with people who think that because G.rosea/porteri come from the desert they must need to be heated and this just isn't so.

If your spider is still moving, first, stop blowing on it. Stress isn't going to help an ailing spider. Second, eye dropper some water into it's mouth. Tarantulas can and do recover, but they need good care to do so.

If you have any desire to stay in the hobby and learn, pick up a copy of The Tarantula Keeper's Guide, because you seem to hung up on a lot of half-truths and misinformation.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
It should be a G.Rosea. It's about 1 inch or just about, I'm sure it's a desert species that is what I read. Also currently the T is moving just barely, but that's probably a reaction from the air blowing at its hairs, it's curled, and still dead looking.

I'll say though, a widow spider is definitely much more hardy, don't need a water dish. That spider is still alive.
that doesnt mean anything.. they are delicate slings... i def believe the 1" based off the lid.. but they need alot of moisture as slings.. again iv raised my pulchripes and boehmeis [before i sold them] on moist coco fiber as slings [actualy pulchripes had still slightly damp sub at 3.5"] and people claim they dislike wet sub.. but theyv all grown up just fine.. as well as my roseas all love to soak up a nice puddle every now and then, even when they arnt molting..

saying "it should be fine its a desert species" its almost racist in a way lol.. thats like saying "your from california you should like 90degree weather" your more or less saying "its from a climate that has less humidity then most of the world, so he does not get a water dish at all times"

If your spider is still moving, first, stop blowing on it. Stress isn't going to help an ailing spider. Second, eye dropper some water into it's mouth. Tarantulas can and do recover, but they need good care to do so.

If you have any desire to stay in the hobby and learn, pick up a copy of The Tarantula Keeper's Guide, because you seem to hung up on a lot of half-truths and misinformation.
this a thousand times this!