Opinion

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's very very fast and skittish.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

awiec

Arachnoprince
If you have kept wolf spiders before then I'd say yes, go right ahead, if not I would not recommend it as they are basically little orange wolf spiders who can kick urticating hairs. They will follow you and try to guess where you are opening the cage to get out and are very bolt happy. The male I raised is the only spider I can say that I did not like keeping as it was always a fight to feed/water him and I hated having to deal with that. If you want an orange and black spider than something like a Brachypelma is much easier to keep and is less likely to try to run out on you.

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
Oh joy, I didnt know this and have two slings of them I believe, whats the scientific name?

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Not a beginner species. Poor choice. Way too fast and high strung. I don't know if bites are an issue, but escapes sure are, any time the lid is opened, even a crack. I suspect that they have one of the highest rates of escapes of any tarantula. I have a bunch of them and don't know if I want to keep that species anymore, because they're so wired and fast. I have a lot of OW's and arboreals, which are also fast, but they're more predictable and easier for me to work with.

KristinaMG

Arachnosquire
Mine is constantly trying to bolt from his container whenever I open it. He is still a sling, he's just over an inch in size. He has made it out of his container 3 times so far. I switched him to a container that has a little flip top over a small funnel which allows me to just drop a cricket in without opening the whole container, and this has prevented further elopements. But to be honest, though he is pretty, I'm not a fan and would not get another one. He is never out in view, and I only see him during his escapes.

Oh joy, I didnt know this and have two slings of them I believe, whats the scientific name?

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk
The genus is Hapalopus. I've seen them listed as Hapalopus sp. pumpkin patch, and Hapalopus sp. colombia.

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i dont find them to be an issue fast and skittish yes defensive when in or around their home good at jail breaking everything i like in a tarantula

personaly i think just like tigerrumps they are a must for every collection

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
I havent had to much of issue with my 3. Mine are the Large I would assume the Klein would be more difficult due to size but thats just a thought. After keeping a few fast species I was comfortable dealing with them. They have yet to escape on me. If its your first T i'd say absolutely not. but with some experience behind you it a species that is very fun to keep.

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
Maybe I have a dumb one then....

Mine just happily sits there for the most part, sometimes bolts but never out of the bin... Just makes a mad dash for his Hidey-Hole. He runs out of his burrow faster then any other T i keep only at feeding time though, and then its right back down the burrow.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Opinion 2

I feel like getting a new pet. However, I need some help in deciding which one to get. My choices are a large pumpkin patch tarantula sling, Mexican Red Knee tarantula sling, a wild caught Carolina wolf spider, or an other Avicularia versicolor sling. Help me out!

MrDave

Arachnosquire
Opinion 2

I cant explain my lack of interest in brachyopelma. They're big , beautiful tarantulas. I'd get another A. versicolor if mine was male. Don't care about non-tarantulas. So, that leaves the pumpkin patch. They look pretty interesting to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awiec

Arachnoprince
You should have put this in your first thread as to not clog up the front page.

H.sp Columbia ["Pumpkin Patch"]- Not very fun for a first tarantula, small, fast and skittish unless that is your thing
Brachypelma-You need to figure out what species it is, telling us "Mexican Red Knee" doesn't tell me much of anything. Good size, calm, are good display animals and are a hobby classic, many people start off with this genus.
Hogna carolinensis-Will be fast and won't live as long as a tarantula but will train you to be able to deal with speed and attitude. Also if you realize that spiders aren't for you, it won't be living too long anyway.
Avicularia versicolor-Are more tricky care wise as new keepers are really good at killing them cause they can't seem to resist spraying them to death. I would not recommend this until you get general spider care under your belt. They are very colorful animals that are a great introduction to arboreal tarantulas.

KristinaMG

Arachnosquire
I feel like getting a new pet. However, I need some help in deciding which one to get. My choices are a large pumpkin patch tarantula sling, Mexican Red Knee tarantula sling, a wild caught Carolina wolf spider, or an other Avicularia versicolor sling. Help me out!
My first tarantula was a B. smithi. I've had her since she was a sling. She is now 4+ inches. If my experience is the norm, they're a great first T. Mine has always been calm, good eater, always out in the open. She's kind of a pet rock, but that is helpful in a first T.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
The brachy is probably your best bet.. Iconic bullet proof relatively calm and slow moving.. The rest may be trouble for a newer keeper.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
If you're really not into the brachys (a shame, as they are great spiders and there are plenty of species if smithi isn't your thing), you could consider a GBB (chromatopelma cyaneopubescens). Not great if you want to handle as they are a mite skittish, but if you aren't handling they're ideal for beginners IMO. Easy care, good feeders, fast growers, and GORGEOUS.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
If you're really not into the brachys (a shame, as they are great spiders and there are plenty of species if smithi isn't your thing), you could consider a GBB (chromatopelma cyaneopubescens). Not great if you want to handle as they are a mite skittish, but if you aren't handling they're ideal for beginners IMO. Easy care, good feeders, fast growers, and GORGEOUS.
Happy to see another person who consider Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens a good beginner one :)
They are benign T's, never saw a "Psycho" GBB.