Petco?? Good or bad??

Newtot

Arachnosquire
I saw a tarantula for sale there labeled a zebra tarantula. Anyways they want $30 for it. I am just curios if this is ok? Or am I asking for trouble purchasing from them. thx

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
First off, it's Aphonopelma seemanni, I bet my life. :D

Petco is bad. It's generally best if we not give them our business as far as purchasing tarantulas. I have, however, purchased a G. rosea from them, and she's still going strong. They care for and house their tarantulas very poorly, but the hardy little buggers are usually at least somewhat healthy.

Newtot

Arachnosquire
Ok I just thought that was a good price especially if its a female. The only good petstores around are super far away

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
If i'm not wrong there's people here who made some nice deals with those shops sometime (here we don't have those franchise, btw) buying some females T's at low price but that's all i think.
They love to create common names, seems.

---------- Post added 09-28-2015 at 05:38 PM ----------

Ok I just thought that was a good price especially if its a female. The only good petstores around are super far away
But you can buy directly from breeders, online.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've been tempted to buy from them before, but never have. I'll buy from someone who knows what the hell they're doing.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
The decision of whether they are good or bad is up to you, not us. Whether buying tarantulas from petstores is saving them or simply putting another one in it's place is a hotly debated topic around here. Personally, I can't handle seeing them in that situation; a good seven of my tarantulas (and one of my scorpions)come from either Petco or Petsmart and it's unlikely I will stop anytime soon. Do I recognize that my buying one causes them to replace it? Yes. But the same would happen when it dies, which is an all too common fate for those unfortunate enough to end up in pet stores.

As far as if the price is decent, it's a little more than I paid for the same T here only a week or so ago but it's still not bad and a bit cheaper than hobby prices.

---------- Post added 09-28-2015 at 03:49 PM ----------

That is a good price for a female, yes. I usually see them for around $75.

Last edited:

Newtot

Arachnosquire
ok im not sure that it is female I haven't actually looked at it. it was hiding when I was in there. I think I will shop around. I really would like an adult but low of funds lol

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
ok im not sure that it is female I haven't actually looked at it. it was hiding when I was in there. I think I will shop around. I really would like an adult but low of funds lol
Well, slings are very cheap in the right places (not some species of course) and you can watch them grow. Hell, there's some who grow like weed :)

truecreature

Arachnoknight
Nothing wrong with buying from Petco if you don't mind possibly getting a WC specimen. They do have some nice prices and as a bonus you get to feel good giving the tarantula a proper home.

I don't really see a point in boycotting the purchase of spiders from stores like that because they get them so dirt cheap they don't really care what happens to them, whether they sell or they die.

cold blood

Staff member
The t did nothing to deserve a shabby life...rescue it if you feel inclined...should it die there, it will just be replaced by another...if its gonna be replaced regardless, why not allow it to live. Regardless of the species, $30 ain't too bad, especially if its female....even if it matures male, you'd likely have no prob getting that $30 back.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
How did your Petco look as far as their husbandry?

I have been to at least 1/2 dozen in my area and none of them mistreated their stock. All cages were clean and had water provided. Worse thing I've seen in any Petco were a few too many uneaten crickets in one enclosure, after explaining that crickets eat tarantulas I didn't see this condition at this store again.

So for me the "Petco is a bad place to buy tarantulas at" has proven to be a big fat myth.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Not Aphonopelma, though lol. I can speak from firsthand experience.
Oh, right. Sometimes i forgot. I was talking about prices here. Saw Aphonopelma seemanni "blue form" for 10 Euro. Not a bad price, for my point of view.
(Sling, i mean).

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I am just curios if this is ok? Or am I asking for trouble purchasing from them.
Like if it had a bad childhood and hung around with the wrong crowd, and is likely to get into trouble at your house. The usual things: being a bad influence to your other spiders, lack of respect, destruction of private property, etc. They can be hooligans.

REvan342

Arachnopeon
Generally, if you are looking to buy reptiles and bug, pet co is....... Not very good..... They don't know how to properly take care of these animals, and sometimes their advice is asinine.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Generally, if you are looking to buy reptiles and bug, pet co is....... Not very good..... They don't know how to properly take care of these animals, and sometimes their advice is asinine.

Why would anyone who comes to this forum take spider advice from a pet store?

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Surprisingly some people still do. I've had people on Arachnids forums go "But the guy at the pet store said..." when I tell them they have been misinformed.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

awiec

Arachnoprince
It depends on what you're getting from there, it sounds like what you're talking about is an Aphonopelma, which you might be able to get a positive ID on it. I don't care for Petco cause I bought fish from there that ended up killing my whole tank with ick except for the goby but as long as the spider doesn't have nematodes you should be fine. I would suggest that you buy from a breeder but if you want an adult right away without the wait then go ahead and get it.

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
I picked up a few aphonopelma seemanni's recently from our local petco. They were $25 each, I couldn't say no. LoL.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
If i was a USA citizen (here those never existed) even if i highly dislike those big franchise and the way they care for animals, i would sometime had a jump in, just for see if there's some female Theraphosidae at good prices. That's, i think, the only utility they have those folks.

For the rest, my advice is: buy from/support breeders. No more breeders, no more hobby ;)