Got a new Psalmopoeus cambridgei

fowlmoodmandy

Arachnopeon
I received a 2" or so sling as a freebie with an order. I don't know much about these guys. I just looked them up and see they have a tendency to be aggressive and fast. Are they better or worse than pokies? Any tips on care? I tend to go for the more docile ground dwelling species so this new to me.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
They tend to be quite defensive and can be very fast, if you have experience with pokies you won't have trouble with these guys. They are great bridging genera to OW aboreals. P. Cambridgei is the largest of the psalmopoeus genus and can reach a legspan of 7". They are the least secretive of the genus as well, although they can be defensive sometimes, they are way calmer and less skittish than P. Irminia. They should be kept moist I moisten the sub, and let the top dry out and then moisten it up again. Provide a waterbowl with water, good cross-ventilation, cork slab and some fake plants for anchoring points, they make great dirt tubes and dirt curtains. They also have a great feeding response. They are IMO a good 1st aboreal (if you have experience with NW tropical terrestrials), if you have experience with NW tropical terrestrials I don't think you'll have an issue with keeping this fella.

Last edited:

SpiritScale

Arachnopeon
As has been mentioned already---they're considered the 'bridge' to OW arboreals. Very quick (especially if you're only used to slow, calm NW terrestrials) and defensive/reactive. They aren't as quick as pokies and don't carry the venom potency concerns, but they aren't rosies or brachys.

Raising them... I kept mine like an avic sling---humid, lots of things to web up but well-ventilated. Plenty of space and hiding spots will make them easier to work with---they can avoid you and you can avoid them.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They're more likely to bite than a Poecilotheria and are just as fast. Their bites can be pretty painful but their venom isn't nearly as bad as a pokies.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
All of those i had in the past (I have only a supposed female now, because i trade the others.. i spent two decades with those) weren't exactly defensive, from my standard. They aren't a Stromatopelma calceatum, nor fast like Tapinauchenius sp. They are fast, granted, but that's all IMO.

Hardy T's, easy to care. Good eaters. Grow like weed. Very good size they reach. I always raised mine (juvenile, to adults, because slings are more delicate) in tall, cross ventilation glass enclosures, with a water dish (overfilled here and then) and a part of the substrate a bit moist. A piece of good old cork bark. The rest of the substrate was on the dry side, since here humidity is high.

Just keep an eye to their speed.. IMO they aren't so defensive but i don't know of course your ability to deal with speedy eight legged ;)

About their venom: yeah, is somewhat nasty (never been bitten, btw) but nothing, lol, compared to what Poecilotheria sp. can do. They are called "Poor mans pokies" because their venom is more potent than the average NW T, plus somewhat their shape.. West Indies etc. Bah.

Don't worry, and be careful, like always, with every Theraphosidae.

Last edited:

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My cambridgei are very "bitey". What makes them more difficult to work around is the fact that they're always out in the open. My irminia are normally hidden, although if I so much as touch the enclosure They freak out. I'd say cambridgei are more laid back for sure than irminia. Does that make them calm? Hell no.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
My cambridgei are very "bitey". What makes them more difficult to work around is the fact that they're always out in the open. My irminia are normally hidden, although if I so much as touch the enclosure They freak out. I'd say cambridgei are more laid back for sure than irminia. Does that make them calm? Hell no.

Like 90% of the Psalmopoeus cambridgei i had, and mine supposed female now, is always in the open like a "Genic" as well (when not in her vertical cork bark, or "dirt" hide). I sometimes tong feed her (DON'T DO that OP, btw). Every of us had different experiences because temperament vary, at the end. I still don't view those as defensive, but skittish.
Damn, here those had written "frebie" all over and i was tired to raise those :)

Joking.. because they are great T's.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had 3. One MM whom recently passed was skittish but not defensive. Never attempted to bite me. The other two (females) are very defensive. I have to be very careful when opening the lid, because they'll run upwards fangs bared and ready to bite.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I had 3. One MM whom recently passed was skittish but not defensive. Never attempted to bite me. The other two (females) are very defensive. I have to be very careful when opening the lid, because they'll run upwards fangs bared and ready to bite.

I understand what you mean. Think that one of the most defensive i have is a Brachypelma albopilosum AF. Yes, Brachypelma albopilosum.

But just like different people reacts in a different way to venom, so is for their temperament. I love her. Came from the same guy gave me Megaphobema robustum female, btw, lol.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I have two, a 3" and 4". My male (4" one) is very defensive, had him run up my tongs once biting it while I was picking out a bolus. The smaller one however is a little more calm than the bigger one, have seen threat postures from it but never attempted to bite at the tongs, only slapped it a few times and then goes to hide from me. But neither one of mine is really skittish. I guess everyone has different experiences with these species, and it can vary greatly regarding individuals. Still makes psalmopoeus one great and beautiful genus :) I really enjoy mine.

cold blood

Staff member
Adide from taps, there about as fast as they come....not quite a tap, but pretty darn close. All mine I've raised have been rather easily dealt with, I don't believe I have ever seen a threat pose, nor have I ever had a single one bolt anywhere but into its web hole.

This is one genus that I much prefer to get as small as I possibly can, simply because even as slings they are excellent hunters and their growth rate is about as fast as ts come. Until they get a bit larger, they can be very skittish, but it almost always results in a hiding t as when they bolt, their web tube is where they go.

I have found their behavior to be very, very similar to pokies IME.....yeah you may be slightly more likely to get tagged by a Psalm, but the bite won't be nearly as bad....just painful, not medically significant like an OW.

I love this genus, possibly my favorite, or at least one of.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have two, a 3" and 4". My male (4" one) is very defensive, had him run up my tongs once biting it while I was picking out a bolus. The smaller one however is a little more calm than the bigger one, have seen threat postures from it but never attempted to bite at the tongs, only slapped it a few times and then goes to hide from me. But neither one of mine is really skittish. I guess everyone has different experiences with these species, and it can vary greatly regarding individuals. Still makes psalmopoeus one great and beautiful genus :) I really enjoy mine.
Adide from taps, there about as fast as they come....not quite a tap, but pretty darn close. All mine I've raised have been rather easily dealt with, I don't believe I have ever seen a threat pose, nor have I ever had a single one bolt anywhere but into its web hole.

This is one genus that I much prefer to get as small as I possibly can, simply because even as slings they are excellent hunters and their growth rate is about as fast as ts come. Until they get a bit larger, they can be very skittish, but it almost always results in a hiding t as when they bolt, their web tube is where they go.

I have found their behavior to be very, very similar to pokies IME.....yeah you may be slightly more likely to get tagged by a Psalm, but the bite won't be nearly as bad....just painful, not medically significant like an OW.

I love this genus, possibly my favorite, or at least one of.
Couldn't agree more with the both of you :)

fowlmoodmandy

Arachnopeon
Thanks, guys. It's about 2" so not a tiny thing. It has a partial web tube built and yes....eats voraciously lol.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
I have one that is roughly 4" and I am praying it is female....I will sex that molt one of these days! They are awesome spiders, particularly in the hunting department. Also, when you see it out, it has one of the coolest body structures of any spider I have had experience with yet. Sprawled out on a cage side, they look so impressive, and probably more scary to an arachnophobe than a 10" LP! Just a fast and aggressive build to the genus....easy peasy to raise from slings as they are fearless and will absolutely overwhelm prey larger than itself. Not that you should turn feeding time into fight club, but incredible spiders nonetheless.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My P cambri is getting pretty big -- well over 5" (possibly 6" -- I am better with terrestrial measure guestiments).
I got mine as a tiny sling last year and was surprised at the fast growth rate -- near monthly moults for a while there. Mine burrowed as a sling, but no more. Never even dug or burrowed in adult enclosure. Mine is definitely out in the open -- spends a lot of time on her vertical cork bark. Mine also got the 'hide-o-log' thingie which I also placed in enclosure vertically -- like a hollow foam tube hide -- but mine still spends most of the time in the open. It's the only T I have that made me scream like a little girl once -- lunging up super fast and grabbing a cricket out from my fingers a nano-second before I could drop it in. No bites, but that was my own pure dumb luck. Incredible feeding response these guy have! If this T refuses a meal -- it is moult time! I can't say mine is defensive or aggressive, or fearful -- I would use the word 'confident' here for mine. Made rehousing interesting. :)

Beautiful Ts, imo. And yes -- their speed is amazing! Mine has become a distinct favourite. No regrets -- I am sure you will love yours!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
+1000 Awesome, awesome genus. Great spiders!

+1. They have a definite OW look to them; I think they were previously included in the Poecilotheriinae subfamily because of some close similarities. Psalmopoeus is now included with the Avics, but that's a questionable placement and not everyone is on board with that.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
+1. They have a definite OW look to them; I think they were previously included in the Poecilotheriinae subfamily because of some close similarities. Psalmopoeus is now included with the Avics, but that's a questionable placement and not everyone is on board with that.
That debate is going on for quite some time already. Personally, I think it doesn't matter where they put them - the best solution would be to establish their very own subfamily perhaps. Afterall, it is somewhat of a bridge genus. But since I'm not a taxonomist, nor have the knowledge behind the profession...it's just a thought. All I care about are the spider in said genus and all of us keeping them love our Psalms.

(Don't you dare to post you can't stand your Psalms reader! Just...don't!) :D:D

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
They (Psalmopoeus genus) have really a lot more in common with OW than NW T's. It's incredible, from their behavior, their somewhat potent venom, the shape, attitude, speed.

Psalmopoeus cambridgei is the "bastard" son of some Poecilotheria sp. who managed to arrive from India in the West Indies way back then? :)

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Here's a quote from "Tarantulas and other Arachnids":

"One of the fascinating things about the genus Psalmopeus is that it is most closely related to the genus Poecilotheria of the old world. In fact, when the Trinidad chevron was first described, it was assumed to have come from the east indies and not the west indies as was claimed by the collection label. Their overall appearance and demeanor is much more like the short haired and feisty old world spiders"