P cambridgei eats constantly

Newtot

Arachnosquire
My p cambridgei molted a few weels ago and for the past 24 hrs has been sitting at the entrance to her web. This is unusual for her so I fed her and she ate but I fed her several times because she still acted as if she was hungry. I fed her twice and she would nail it as soon as it touched the web. She is still doing this. How often should I feed and what could cause such a change in feeding behavior. thx

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They'll eat as long as you keep feeding them.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
I think you already answered your question on why she seems more hungry - she molted recently. Frequency of feeding will depend on the size of your spider and the size of the food items you are offering.

cold blood

Staff member
Psalms have exactly 2 modes of life. They are either eating everything that moves, or preparing to molt, one of the things I love about them. Slings of this genus (most of them at least, every P. cam sling I've raised for sure) would eat twice a day if you offered...and they'd molt every 3 and a half to 4 and a half weeks (if kept warm, of course) and be ready to eat again after a molt quickly, anxious to start the cycle again. I feed slings every 3-4 days, but sometimes I'll feed the Psalm slings (and Pamph) every 2 or 3 days cause they are ALWAYS hunting...often immediately after finishing a meal...occasionally I'll even feed them on consecutive days if the prey is smaller....the bigger the prey items, the less you need to feed.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I do love my P cambri feeding response -- part of the joys of owning one of these guys! :)

And if mine refuses food -- oh -- you can bet it's moult time.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I do love my P cambri feeding response -- part of the joys of owning one of these guys! :)

And if mine refuses food -- oh -- you can bet it's moult time.
+1 I've never had a psalm that is NOT hungry, if they don't eat I know there's an upcoming molt, out of my whole collection, my P. Cambridgei has the best feeding responses, they are eating machines.

scott308

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yup. My P cams are stone-cold cricket killing machines. :mask:

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My p cam will eat u til I stop feeding him. Very good feeding response! I limit him to 3 crickets a week.

--J.Haas

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That one thing I leaned from owing a p cambridgei.

---------- Post added 10-10-2015 at 08:16 PM ----------

It tempting to feed them more.
Lol omg yes but I'm scared he'll pop!! [emoji50]

--J.Haas

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
Last night was the first time our juvi/sub P. Cam refused food since I've had her...she's fattened up last week or so, so I'm hopng for a nice molt soon. Same with one of our Irminia slings, nice and fat and refusing food. Any other time both would have long devoured their munch.