Do all arboreals?

Psyrocke

Arachnopeon
Eat while in a handstand? My tappi does it for everymeal, regardless of the type (mealworm or cricket). Here is a pic of it doing it two days ago:
photo.JPG

And 2 days after I got it (so about a week ago):

Last edited:

Psyrocke

Arachnopeon
Regardless of whether or not I understand it, I find it quite cute and interesting at the very least. Mine isn't an adult, unsexed juvenile (unsexed by me at least) but I find it amusing that it chooses to eat as such. You'd think it would make life harder haha.

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
My Avics generally sit and eat on top of their leaf web castle or in the web tube. P. regalis does it every time. Maybe it's to wrap up the prey easily. He's really good at wrapping that sucker up fast.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Your T appears to be doing a "handstand" because it's feeding on the side near the substrate. Which is normal for aboreals, they are not actually doing a "handstand". Some Ts (mostly terrestrials) attacks their prey so viciously (such as pamphobeteus spp.) that they end up feeding the 1st few seconds on their backs.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
About 2/3's of my collection is arboreal, and eating in that position is the norm. Life in a vertical world. Since Avics have silk tubes, they'll often eat horizontally on the silk, but some will come out and eat on the cage sides.

That shows how agile and acrobatic arboreals are, as most terrestrials aren't able to eat vertically on their tip toes and move around like that.

Chris11

ArachnoBat
some of my arboreals do.... my obt sling tackles prey so hard sometimes it somersaults and stays on its back for a while!

Psyrocke

Arachnopeon
I know it's not because it tackles prey super hard. I watched her port-kill the mealwom tonight, do her wiggle-butt dance(was able to capture video) and put herself in said vertical position tonight. In fact she hasn't webbed much at all, and prefers to stay burrowed 9 out of 10 times. She has webbed some and does hang out on the sides when not design occasionally but it's rare. Well that I debit anyhow.

Tonight:
image.jpg

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
some of my arboreals do.... my obt sling tackles prey so hard sometimes it somersaults and stays on its back for a while!
OBTs are terrestrial. ...

They may have some "arboreal tendencies" but they are still considered terrestrial.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I watched her port-kill the mealwom tonight, do her wiggle-butt dance

Not a butt wiggle or a dance. They lay down silk after catching prey for several reasons: to tangle the prey up so that if it revives it can't escape; to keep pieces from falling as it tears up and pre-digests, and to keep the mass off the ground/tree so that other animals (especially ants) don't try to claim it as theirs. All very practical steps to ensure they're able to complete their meal.

Psyrocke

Arachnopeon
Not a butt wiggle or a dance. They lay down silk after catching prey for several reasons: to tangle the prey up so that if it revives it can't escape; to keep pieces from falling as it tears up and pre-digests, and to keep the mass off the ground/tree so that other animals (especially ants) don't try to claim it as theirs. All very practical steps to ensure they're able to complete their meal.
Yes,thats true but where she was doing it wasn't anywhere near where she ate her worm. Very well could have been laying a trap though, you are absolutely right. Even if it isn't a dance in our human sense of a dance and rather is a more practical thing, it still looks like dance regardless of practicality, at least to me.

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
Yes,thats true but where she was doing it wasn't anywhere near where she ate her worm. Very well could have been laying a trap though, you are absolutely right. Even if it isn't a dance in our human sense of a dance and rather is a more practical thing, it still looks like dance regardless of practicality, at least to me.
Even though what they do is practical, I think there are several people who still affectionately refer to it as the "happy dance." We can't help but personify our inverts sometimes.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Even though what they do is practical, I think there are several people who still affectionately refer to it as the "happy dance." We can't help but personify our inverts sometimes.
I like to call it the happy dance... Even tho I know they are laying down a feeding mat. Sometimes they really get into it and it looks like they are rockin out lol

Chris11

ArachnoBat
OBTs are terrestrial. ...

They may have some "arboreal tendencies" but they are still considered terrestrial.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
i know... i was saying some of my arboreals do that and that is what my obt does

Psyrocke

Arachnopeon
i know... i was saying some of my arboreals do that and that is what my obt does
That's how I took it personally. Just adding to the other posters comment about some tackle prey so hard etc.