Contacting (Arachnid) and other experts

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
This came up during my correspondence with some experts in the academic stratosphere. Just suggestions and redundant to some but it does no harm to reiterate.

If you find yourself contacting academics you will have, as a general rule, more success in receiving replies if you follow the academic rules.

1. Always use the persons proper name, not a familiar first name, and use their titles and credentials correctly. As example, Dr. John Fitch, MS, or Fred Sorch, Professor of ____
2. Use accurate English, or the language of your choice, with correct spelling, grammar and punctuation.
3. Keep your inquiry short and concise. This is extremely important. Many of the experts receive hundreds of inquiries every day. If they don't understand what you are asking in the first or second sentence..... you know the drill.
4. Sign your letter properly and respectfully. Beneath your signature you can list the languages you speak and your own academic credentials if you have them.

The bottom line: Don't pester the experts. They have their own workload and assisting laypersons is a gratis gesture. Blasting them with poorly written drivel just wrecks the chances for the rest of us. IE, don't be like me so much of the time on AB.

To give an example. A friend of mine of many years is a professor at a local university. One day while working with him at his ranch I mentioned I had sent him two letters replying to his inquiry. He didn't recall receiving either one. My screw up. I addressed the letters as I knew him, "Dear Doug,' He never got past that to see they were from me. DELETED.

Academics can be extremely stuffy. Just accept that. They busted their butts to get where they are. Go with the flow and extend due respect.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
True. And 5) No "lol" or funny comments about those elbow patches they have on their jackets.

Happened to me only once, however, the need to contact a foreign expert on something: Mr Bob Ibold, for show one of my Asian masks (i'm a mask collector as well). One in particular, a completely wearable one collected long time ago in Yogyakarta; i suspected from the beginning that was rare but needed further investigation.

Ended up to be an old mask of the Demon King Rahwana (made also using gum tree, and bike old tyres, go figure) used in the solitary dance of the Ramayana "epic" (pre Islam religion, Indian legends/folklore).

I bought that for 65 Euro years ago, a deal.. the price among collectors is more higher.

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
5. Absolutely. NO jokes or wisecracks. If the academic wants to crack a joke, fine. But unless the person deliberately goads you into 'loosening up', stay strictly on the matter at hand.

---------- Post added 10-04-2015 at 07:02 AM ----------

... used in the solitary dance of the Ramayana "epic" (pre Islam religion, Indian legends/folklore). ...
Snerk snerk snerk. pre Islam?? Folklore??? Just light reading: Together with the Mahabharata they are the equivalent of the olde testament and the Eldar Edda combined. The spiritual anthropogenesis of the planet.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
5. Absolutely. NO jokes or wisecracks. If the academic wants to crack a joke, fine. But unless the person deliberately goads you into 'loosening up', stay strictly on the matter at hand.

---------- Post added 10-04-2015 at 07:02 AM ----------

Snerk snerk snerk. pre Islam?? Folklore??? Just light reading: Together with the Mahabharata they are the equivalent of the olde testament and the Eldar Edda combined. The spiritual anthropogenesis of the planet.
Yes, true :) I said pre Islam because Indonesia is an Islamic nation now (majority at least).

The Snark

Old Timer
Yes, true :) I said pre Islam because Indonesia is an Islamic nation now (majority at least).
India-Sri Lanka. Hindu. The time frame being a land bridge existed between the continent and Ceylon (Sri Lanka) as mentioned in the Ramayana. Far older than the Islamic faith.
(Trivia: NASA recently confirmed the existence of the land bridge through their newest laser telemetry geo-mapping technology.)

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
India-Sri Lanka. Hindu. The time frame being a land bridge existed between the continent and Ceylon (Sri Lanka) as mentioned in the Ramayana. Far older than the Islamic faith.
(Trivia: NASA recently confirmed the existence of the land bridge through their newest laser telemetry geo-mapping technology.)
No doubts about. Even if Indonesia is Islamic today, you can see everywhere that there's "ancient India" written all over the place, the arts, enviroment, colours etc :)

It's like Nepal middle hills (guess what really happened to middle hills after the earthquake) tantric shaman masks, those are even more mysterious and i'm fascinated... how can i say.. they are and look completely different from the Indian and Buddhism, let's say, usual features.

Faing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I thought this was common sense. Using 'hey you' or 'question' as a title for your E-mail isn't very intuitive either.

Then again sometimes I cannot understand what people are trying to write on social media. Nor do I try to, if it isn't clear what you're saying then that's a serious problem IMHO. Grammar and punctuation do count when you're typing a memo or E-mail.

The Snark

Old Timer
I caught an expert at just the right moment once. A pre coffee time where I wrote:

dEAR dR> sMITH<
i STAND CORRECTED1 tHANK YOU1
sINCERELY< ....

And the reply came back a minute later:
"Let's get that caps lock oiled."

The Snark

Old Timer
In academic circles, secretaries that catch egregious communique blunders are worth their weight in gold. Students will often beg or bribe these paragons to vet their letters and papers.