P. muticus feeding

Oroborus

Arachnosquire
I have a P.muticus juvenile, approximately 2-2.5 inches. I transferred him/her two weeks ago to a new enclosure. I set it up with a approximately 8 inches of peat/soil substrate and a starter burrow in the corner. It's been tunneling like mad, which is normal. It pushed up a soil plug into its burrow opening that's about 2 inches thick. Now I observe that he sits vertically in the burrow tunnel, below the plug, seemingly waiting for prey. But, since the plug is relatively thick, will it be able to hunt effectively? Should I open the burrow and guide a feeder towards the tunnel? I believe in letting nature take its course but it hasn't eaten in a couple weeks and I'm a little worried. Thanks.

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
There's no need to open the burrow manually. The spider knows the prey is in the tank. They're very good at sensing vibrations.

My money is on likely impending molt. My guys who bother making a burrow (I don't keep strict fossorial yet) usually plug them (sometimes for a couple weeks or more), molt and unplug a few days later.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
My adult female (damn i love her) isn't a great eater (for my views about) nor a ferocious hunter like the rest of the obligate burrowers i have/had. She's a lazy hunter, lol.

With that said, dementedlullaby is right. Btw High Five Oroborus for offer him/her good inches of substrate. That's the spirit. Mine almost 11 inches, and she's very happy.

There's people who are "Scrooge" with those and house adults in 5 inches.. i'm still trying to figure out how an adult female Pelinobius muticus could live well, being happy, in so few inches of substrate.

Just like for my arboreal enclosure. People told me crap like "that's too high". Ah ah, seriously? 60 cm (height/tall) is too "high" when a Psalmopoeus cambridgei, for instance, lives comfortable in his/her Trinidad "real estate" tall trees?

Incredible :coffee:

Last edited: