A reminder to never get too complacent around your T's

sezra

Arachnosquire
Ive had my G. Rosea for about 4 years now, possibly longer, and in all this time she has never shown any form of defensiveness. No threat postures, no hair flicking, nothing. She has been a well mannered T, and typically the one I will show to friends and family in an attempt to win them over, in order to convince them that spiders arent the terrible man eaters the media makes them out to be.

My cleaning routine is always the same and im lucky enough to have a few empty enclosures, so I can set the new one up before hand. this means its just a matter gently coaxing my T's out of one and into the other, which in turn is less stress for them. Yesterday was different... When it came to actually moving her i proceeded as normal by giving her a gentle "push" on the bum with a plastic pipet. This is normally an easy and gentle way to get her to move in the direction I want her to and the whole operation lasts no more than 10 seconds.... normally.

Well imagine my surprise when suddenly I get a face full of urticating hairs. I just stood there and said out loud "are you actually kicking hairs at me?" I tried again... more hairs!

She eventually moved the massive 10cm required to be re-housed and that was that.

Honestly, it reminded me of getting a teenager out of bed :biggrin:

Just a reminder that even the most docile T's can be grumpy some times!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Rosea's are notoriously temperamental, and prone to mood swings.

When working with spiders, I always try to remember that they have oversized weapons, like a saber-tooth cat, and are wild animals with no comprehension of our good intentions. We are an invader and a threat.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
My cleaning routine is always the same and im lucky enough to have a few empty enclosures, so I can set the new one up before hand. this means its just a matter gently coaxing my T's out of one and into the other, which in turn is less stress for them. Yesterday was different... When it came to actually moving her i proceeded as normal by giving her a gentle "push" on the bum with a plastic pipet. This is normally an easy and gentle way to get her to move in the direction I want her to and the whole operation lasts no more than 10 seconds.... normally.
Curious as to what the cleaning routine? What's the frequency? I'm curious because I couldn't possibly imagine having to re-house one of these more than once, and that would only be if it was a small sling.:?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I wondered too at the routine. And the need to rehouse a T kept for 4 years. Could have been tiny sling 4 years ago, I guess.
My Rosie is in same enclosure -- 'cleaning' involves tongs. I think her only semi-rehouse ever was my mistake -- sifted through once for a missing mealworm. but still, returned right back to same enclosure.

Sorry OP got haired.

sezra

Arachnosquire
Curious as to what the cleaning routine? What's the frequency? I'm curious because I couldn't possibly imagine having to re-house one of these more than once, and that would only be if it was a small sling.:?
she doesnt get rehoused very often, but i find the substrate i use (spider life) tends to get a little dusty when its dry. when its fresh it also holds its shape when she digs about etc.

I just find its easier to set up a new enclosure which is exactly the same size and layout, than to clean up around her. As I said, 10 seconds and its over so it cuts down on the contact we have which in turn cuts down on the stress associated with me digging about picking out poo and dead crickets etc.

cold blood

Staff member

she doesnt get rehoused very often, but i find the substrate i use (spider life) tends to get a little dusty when its dry. when its fresh it also holds its shape when she digs about etc.

I just find its easier to set up a new enclosure which is exactly the same size and layout, than to clean up around her. As I said, 10 seconds and its over so it cuts down on the contact we have which in turn cuts down on the stress associated with me digging about picking out poo and dead crickets etc.
You need to change to a better substrate. Every time you re-house, the t needs to start over, regardless of how quick the transfer is, its still stressful....its not the moving from point a to point b that is the big stresser, its the new surroundings it needs to adapt to. Your cleaning routine should consist of removing bolus's and cleaning poop when its located, that's basically it. Mine's on the original substrate I gave her 15 years ago, re-housing should only be done when a)the t outgrows its previous enclosure, b)it gets a pest infestation or c)becomes somehow over-run by molds or fungus that's out of control....b and c are basically emergency situations, often avoidable by having proper ventilation and cleaning up those bolus's and that occasional poop. This species is clean and easy to care for as they are kept bone dry, which basically eliminates problems b and c. Picking out the bolus's isn't in the least bit of a stresser to a t in its home.:smile:

You're doing a whole lot more work that you should or need to be doing......for future reference anyway.

CoinJar

Arachnopeon
My only "bite" was from a Rosehair. I put that in quotes because it was more of a quick strike that happened as I was cleaning some feces from the side of her enclosure with a Qtip (this one has a habit of pooping up on the sides of her enclosure, making it look like a Pollock painting). I thought it was a slap at first, until I saw the two little blog drops forming on my arm.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My only "bite" was from a Rosehair. I put that in quotes because it was more of a quick strike that happened as I was cleaning some feces from the side of her enclosure with a Qtip (this one has a habit of pooping up on the sides of her enclosure, making it look like a Pollock painting). I thought it was a slap at first, until I saw the two little blog drops forming on my arm.

The goal is to make it thru decades in the hobby without a bite.

sezra

Arachnosquire
You need to change to a better substrate. Every time you re-house, the t needs to start over, regardless of how quick the transfer is, its still stressful....its not the moving from point a to point b that is the big stresser, its the new surroundings it needs to adapt to. Your cleaning routine should consist of removing bolus's and cleaning poop when its located, that's basically it. Mine's on the original substrate I gave her 15 years ago, re-housing should only be done when a)the t outgrows its previous enclosure, b)it gets a pest infestation or c)becomes somehow over-run by molds or fungus that's out of control....b and c are basically emergency situations, often avoidable by having proper ventilation and cleaning up those bolus's and that occasional poop. This species is clean and easy to care for as they are kept bone dry, which basically eliminates problems b and c. Picking out the bolus's isn't in the least bit of a stresser to a t in its home.:smile:

You're doing a whole lot more work that you should or need to be doing......for future reference anyway.
you know what, thats actually something i never even considered, but something that is really obvious now that you mention it. I'll certainly take it into consideration in future. thanks

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
I am feeling alright about having my P. murinus for about two years and having only see one threat display...was a misunderstanding. She tarsal slapped and lunged, I lowered the lid back on and walked away. I also blessed the confrontation with a few expletives as the whole display was very intense. She knows how to get her point across for sure. Got a charge from my MM Hmac for dropping a super worm in his tube though I think he just overshot the worm cause he turned around quick and ran back to grab his food. My point is that while precaution can prevent bites, the spiders do pull some impressive, athletic moves to remind you that you can't be too cautious.

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
Ah good old spider life...Terrible substrate for Ts despite the name. I see nothing but bad reviews for that stuff, top soil is worth a look if you can find some that's completely chemical free.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
In reply to the OP: Pretty much all Grammostola spp. are moody IMO. My pulchripes never kicked a single hair in the years I have her, yet she decides to go into aggro-mode occasionally throwing threat-postures when I clean/change water. *shrugs* I've accepted they're temperamental. Just one more reason to always keep an eye on the animal and not get complacent :)

Last edited: