Penultimate?

Manny

ArachnoAquarium
Arachnosupporter
Hello, I've googled and searched, yet cannot find a solid answer. What is the difference between a
penultimate brachypelma emilia and a brachypelma emilia? Thank you kindly

Le Wasp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Penultimate just means next to last, so it's a B. emilia that's one molt away from being mature. Although, I'm not sure there's an entirely proof-positive way of ensuring a tarantula is really only one molt away.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Lewasp hit it on the head.. Pen-ultamate molt is a male who is (well is expected) to mature out with his next molt, because all males mature at their own convenience so to speak, there is no surefire way to guarentee its a pen.. For example my male emilia pushes 4-4.5.. I consider him pen because the next molt puts him in the size where most males mature, however i may consider him it, he may not be. He may he a monster 6" may, ill only kniw when i see emboli

Last edited:

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
.. Pen-ultamate nolt is a mole who is ...
I couldn't help myself but pyro, you sometimes have the funniest typos, I was just giggling reading that :laugh: hehehehe

Yes, Pen-ultimate usually refers to male tarantulas being one molt away from maturity.

Manny

ArachnoAquarium
Arachnosupporter
Thank you, I'm assuming any mature male can be a penultimate then. You guys are awesome. Manny

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Thank you, I'm assuming any mature male can be a penultimate then. You guys are awesome. Manny
Yes and no.. For example my male psalmopeous pulcher is about 3" but based off most statistics of males hes nowhere near his final molt.. Its best just to ignore the phrase "penultamate" almost entirely. as ones its in a size range, it may or may not be

---------- Post added 10-06-2015 at 01:49 PM ----------

I couldn't help myself but pyro, you sometimes have the funniest typos, I was just giggling reading that [emoji23] hehehehe

Yes, Pen-ultimate usually refers to male tarantulas being one molt away from maturity.
Haha tying with a new phone plus sleepy text does not do well for me ;) switching back later today so shouldnt be as bad lolol

purevl

Arachnopeon
Not quite. Since penultimate is one molt before maturing any mature male is past that stage & is no longer penultimate, he's just mature. Think of penultimate as being on the cusp of puberty while mature is post puberty.