Fossorial egg sacs

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How do you guys go about removing egg sacs from fossorial species, specifically those that anchor their sacs (baboon species in particular)? I've been mating one of my female C. darlingi, who I purposefully housed in a terrestrial setup with a buried hide as to avoid digging into a 5+ inch-deep burrow of an angry spider. My other tarantulas are not housed in this way and, preferably, will not be.

What about Haplopelma species and other obligate burrowers? Is it common practice to leave the sac with mom and then collect the slings as they emerge from the burrow themselves?

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I leave my sacs with mom most times, yeah. When I'm ready to separate the slings I remove mom first so I don't have her to contend with and then dig up the whole burrow. Be verrrry careful! I use a spoon so I don't miss any kids and throw them out with the substrate. I can only speak for myself, though.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I only pull ball sacs (after 30 days). I've never pulled a hammock sac. I think they're made to stay attached when the mothers get snatched by predators (baboons, mongeese, etc). Hammocks seem to be self sufficient, and can be ruined if not pulled right. While females eating or tossing ball sacs is all too common, it's very rare with hammocks.