Pest identification

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
So there are some small insects I noticed on top of my monitor enclosure which is a large wooden create, they are almost too small to see, roughly 2/3 the size of a fruit fly. They appear to be transparent/very light brown. I searched google but I couldn't get a solid hit. Any ideas or questions?

Thanks

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added 10-06-2015 at 09:24 PM ----------

They appear to blend into the wood quite well unless they are moving

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
So there are some small insects I noticed on top of my monitor enclosure which is a large wooden create, they are almost too small to see, roughly 2/3 the size of a fruit fly. They appear to be transparent/very light brown. I searched google but I couldn't get a solid hit. Any ideas or questions?

Thanks

---------- Post added 10-06-2015 at 09:24 PM ----------

They appear to blend into the wood quite well unless they are moving

We really need more info. As example, there are an estimated 125,000 species of mites alone.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Well then, lets assume they are mites. Does the monitor cage have poo build-up? Old left over food? Excessively moist substrate? Any of those could lead to mite infestations. I would remove all poop, only feed the monitor as much as it will eat in a few days and remove excess food, and keep the substrate drier.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's almost impossible to tell with the help of a picture or a video, go figure without. However you said "wooden create". What if those are something related to the wood? Just for saying, of course.

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
It's almost impossible to tell with the help of a picture or a video, go figure without. However you said "wooden create". What if those are something related to the wood? Just for saying, of course.
That's what I was thinking, I only noticed them on top of the crate. Maybe wood mites?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
That's what I was thinking, I only noticed them on top of the crate. Maybe wood mites?

Yes, those can be wood mites, but could be everything, at the same time. It's impossible to tell, man.. unless you manage to catch some of those mites and took them to an expert for an answer.

I would re-house the invert/s being you if the infestation is severe. However, as you know, not all mites can be a menace.. even if all of those are very annoying IMO.

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
Yes, those can be wood mites, but could be everything, at the same time. It's impossible to tell, man.. unless you manage to catch some of those mites and took them to an expert for an answer.

I would re-house the invert/s being you if the infestation is severe. However, as you know, not all mites can be a menace.. even if all of those are very annoying IMO.
I have no inverts by the crate. They are like 5 feet away, and I haven't seen any near any invert enclosures

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I have no inverts by the crate. They are like 5 feet away, and I haven't seen any near any invert enclosures

Ah ah, sorry, i forgot.. you're right -- here is late night and i have red eyes --

If those aren't near to your T's/Scorpions etc enclosures that's good :)

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
Ah ah, sorry, i forgot.. you're right -- here is late night and i have red eyes --

If those aren't near to your T's/Scorpions etc enclosures that's good :)
I was more concerned about then being harmful to humans but I think I would've noticed bites. Also the wood is untreated on the outside of the enclosure where I find them. So I'm assuming that would be even more likely to attract wood mites

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I was more concerned about then being harmful to humans but I think I would've noticed bites. Also the wood is untreated on the outside of the enclosure where I find them. So I'm assuming that would be even more likely to attract wood mites

Yes, probably then. As far as i know they are harmless (to us).