Minor Breeding Question

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Is it........ Kind of not "right" to breed tarantulas with their siblings? I guess I'm saying if you had two tarantulas and breeded them, then breeded there offspring with it each other... Is this ok? :o_O: ... Lol this is probably a stupid question.

Thanks

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, most breeders make every attempt to assure they aren't breeding related spiders. However, with supplies limited or from limited original sources, its often not as easy as it seems. You could have a female you received from Florida, and in a year, get slings that result in an MM from California, and there's no guarantee that they didn't have the same mother from another brood that just happened to be sold to a dealer in CA.

Luckily, to my knowledge, there have not been the catastrophic results that you might expect from say, mammals....in fact, I'm not sure I've heard of many adverse effects at all....but its still only logical to avoid if at all possible. Its not like there have been too many long term studies on the subject for 100% verification.

One of the few good things about WC, is that they are essentially "new blood" for breeders, expanding the genetic makeup within the hobby.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Hmm that's really interesting... I was just curious btw because I haven't even bred my first t's yet lol

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Males mature a year or two before their sisters, and usually aren't around when the females are finally mature. This isn't anything like reptiles. It would be a good idea to do some reading up on tarantulas.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Ok thanks, any specific papers/websites etc. I should look at?