Aphonopelma confusion!

Anthony Jensen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey all.

I have recently moved away to college in Arizona and have found 3 T's since I've been on campus. I have always been into T's and scorps but I have always been more of a snake guy, but since coming to school I have found a new love for the Aphonopelma genus. I have a few questions that I would like to ask and would love to hear from any of you. If you're an Aphonopelma expert please PM me because I would love to talk with you about them.

Is there any way to tell the difference between Aphonopelmas if the species reach an intergrade zone? I have been researching a lot trying to find a range map with a list of all of the different Aphonopelmas and came across some good sites.

https://aphonopelma.wordpress.com/ and the world spider catalog site. I would like to know who Chamberlin is, and how he classified all of these T's as different. Is there any other good reading that I should check out so that I can learn more about the different species of Aphono's. Another thing I noticed after reading on different forum topics, is that Aphonopelmas can almost change their color completely after a molt, which makes it that much harder to tell them apart.

Here is a pic of one of the T's that I found on campus in Yavapai County AZ: Aphonopelma.jpg

At first I thought it was an A. chalcodes, because it looks exactly like it, but on one of the range maps, it does not occur in this part of the state. If anyone knows what species this is, or just wants to take a nab at it, go for it. It was found in Prescott, AZ. I have found 3 of these T's that look exactly the same, except for a mature male who was very dark.

Lastly, I am beating myself up for it, but I accidentally deleted the picture of a T I found in San Diego County. It was almost jet black. A. reversum? California Ebony? Hope to talk to some of you guys soon.

-Anthony

Kina

Arachnopeon
I live in California, Contra Costa County specifically, and found your site very interesting, thanks. I've gone T hunting once, and am waiting for this fall to do it again, when the boys will lead me to the girls! Hope-fully. I found a "Black Hole" true spider (I believe at least). I let it go after photographing it. If anyone would like to see it let me know. Maybe a better ID will come of it.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welcome to the Aphono club! (You also have my condolences for moving to Arizona, it's not a fate I would wish on anyone) I'm by no means an expert but they're my favorite genus and I'm always down to talk bugs with other enthusiasts.

I don't think there's much way to tell apart similar-looking species outside of examining the spermathecae under a microscope.

That looks like an Aphonopelma sp. New River to me. The other one sounds like A reversum alright.

tylerdpeter

Arachnopeon
The one in san Diego was California ebony and the one you're finding in Prescott is one of three choices

Aphonopelma sp new river
Aphonopelma so flagstaff orange
Or Aphonopelma chalcodes

. Unless you're heading East, West or south of Phoenix those 3 are typically the ones youll find north of Phoenix (where I live)
Hope this helped

varanoid

Arachnopeon
I am by no means an expert bit for issues regarding taxonomy I frequently search googlescholar.com. it's a very good resource and I use it all the time, not just for taxonomy questions.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
That distribution map is so helpful. It also highlights an issue I've had with my eutylenum, which was found in the southern-most part of Orange County--she's never looked like a eutylenum to me, her carapace is so typical Aphono golden blonde. If your map is accurate and the species is still valid, I think my girl is actually a phanum. It looks like the most recent paper on them though is from the 40s.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The one in san Diego was California ebony and the one you're finding in Prescott is one of three choices

Aphonopelma sp new river
Aphonopelma so flagstaff orange
Or Aphonopelma chalcodes

I thought New River was identified as chalcodes.

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
just to add to this my A sp new river looks much different compared to my Chalcodes. Ill post a picture later I had when they were side by side.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
just to add to this my A sp new river looks much different compared to my Chalcodes. Ill post a picture later I had when they were side by side.

Are you looking at the features taxonomists do? Very few hobbyists do.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
It's really best to wait until the revision of Aphonopelma in the USA is published before making any decisive statements on what species is what and their distribution. The following paper describes the current taxnomic situation of Aphonopelma in the USA and what is being done about it.

Hamilton CA, Hendrixson BE, Brewer MS, Bond JE (2014) An evaluation of sampling effects on multiple DNA barcoding methods leads to an integrative approach for delimiting species: A case study of the North American tarantula genus Aphonopelma (Araneae, Mygalomorphae, Theraphosidae). Molecular Phylogenetics & Evolution 71: 79-93.

It can be found here...
http://8legs2fangs.com/Site/CV.html

---------- Post added 10-08-2015 at 04:49 PM ----------

https://aphonopelma.wordpress.com/ and the world spider catalog site. I would like to know who Chamberlin is, and how he classified all of these T's as different.
If you create an account on the World Spider Catalog site, you will be able to download Chamberlin's description papers which will tell you who he is and how he classified these tarantulas. Another go-to source of information is Andrew Smith's book "Tarantula Spiders: Tarantulas of the USA and Mexico" which can be found here http://lovetarantulas.com/tarantulaspidersofusaandmexico.htm. It costs only 2 pounds (that's British pounds sterling), but the downloadable PDF copy has errors that are not in the book. I suggest seeking out the hardcover book even though it will be difficult and expensive since it's out of print.

You will also need to read the papers of Thomas Prentice which is also available from the World Spider Catalog.

Last edited:

Anthony Jensen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's really best to wait until the revision of Aphonopelma in the USA is published before making any decisive statements on what species is what and their distribution. The following paper describes the current taxnomic situation of Aphonopelma in the USA and what is being done about it.

Hamilton CA, Hendrixson BE, Brewer MS, Bond JE (2014) An evaluation of sampling effects on multiple DNA barcoding methods leads to an integrative approach for delimiting species: A case study of the North American tarantula genus Aphonopelma (Araneae, Mygalomorphae, Theraphosidae). Molecular Phylogenetics & Evolution 71: 79-93.

It can be found here...
http://8legs2fangs.com/Site/CV.html

---------- Post added 10-08-2015 at 04:49 PM ----------

If you create an account on the World Spider Catalog site, you will be able to download Chamberlin's description papers which will tell you who he is and how he classified these tarantulas. Another go-to source of information is Andrew Smith's book "Tarantula Spiders: Tarantulas of the USA and Mexico" which can be found here http://lovetarantulas.com/tarantulaspidersofusaandmexico.htm. It costs only 2 pounds (that's British pounds sterling), but the downloadable PDF copy has errors that are not in the book. I suggest seeking out the hardcover book even though it will be difficult and expensive since it's out of print.

You will also need to read the papers of Thomas Prentice which is also available from the World Spider Catalog.
Thank you SO much for that! Your help and input was greatly appreciated!

leaveittoweaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't have any answers to your questions but just wanted to say that it must be really awesome to live somewhere where you see tarantulas in the wild! Nice picture!