Magneto's scorpions

magneto

Arachnoknight
Anybody who read my other thread in this sub forum might be a little surprised that I make this thread. In my last post in the other thread I ranted a bit about how customs had lost my package and that I would probably never see my first scorpions alive. But a few hours ago I received the wonderful text stating that I had a package waiting for me at the post office. I raced down there to pick it up and was still hesitant to hope as they had been in that package for 9 full days and might have been manhandled by the customs officers. But when I got home and opened it up I was relived to find them both alive and pissed. :laugh:

So without further ado, I present Duke and Duchess, my two new Pandinus Cavimanus scorpions! :biggrin:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

magneto

Arachnoknight
They where quite thirsty and was too busy drinking to care about each other :biggrin:

6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

magneto

Arachnoknight
This is probably norhing to worry about but as I have no prior experience with scorpions and I didn't find any useful info on the subject, I thought I'd ask here.

One of my scorps keeps standing up against the glass in the brightest corner of the enclosure all day long and most of the night too. It has been doing this for 2-3 days now. Is this typical behaviour? It moves it's claws a bit from time to time. It's not interested in food at all.

Sorry about bad picture quality.

20151010_095205.jpg 20151010_095327.jpg

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
Nice setup you have there
Sounds like your scorpion is still stressed out from being shipped and placed into it's new environment shouldn't be a problem unless it stays that way for awhile
This specie can be cannibalistic at times especially due to being stressed out so keep a close eye on them or possibly remove the 1 that is stressed into it's own enclosure until it calms down a bit

Khagra

Arachnosquire
I thought I replied to this the other day, but I guess not! It's neat seeing them drinking, I rarely see mine around their water dishes.
As for the the one pressing itself against the glass, I wouldn't worry about it. Probably still stressed, but it's not a worrying sign or behavior.
You should take advantage of them being pressed against the class and try to get a clear picture of their underside to figure out which is the male, but I'd bet everything I have the "fat" one in the original pictures in the original set is the female.

magneto

Arachnoknight
Thank you both for your answers. The fat one in the pics above, which is the one being stressed is the female from what I can tell from it's underside. I don't have a camera that is good enough to take a detailed picture of it but It looks female when compared to the guide below.

As to them being canbalistic, I guess it could already have happened as I haven't seen the male for 2-3 days now. But she should be a geat deal fatter in that case right? The male is probably just more shy and stays in it's burrow, which I haven't the slightest Idea where is as he has dug at least three holes that I can see. :)

Sexing_Pandinus_and_Hetermetrus_spp_by_GS_pic2_.jpg

magneto

Arachnoknight
I had a bit of a turf war going on in there last night. As far as I could see there was no real damage being dealt to either part, just a few warning pinches when they got too close. From what I could tell it was the female that was exploring and kept ending up in the males burrow entrance, and the male that didn't like it and fought her off. What I'm curious about is if this really was just her exploring or if she was trying to court him? How does the courting happen with these? Is it the male that seeks the female, like it usually is with most animals, or could it happen the other way around?

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This species is usually very territorial as you've witnessed

Often you get cannibalism/deaths from fighting, might be worth removing the male if you think they've mated!

IMO usually its the male initiating the courtship

magneto

Arachnoknight
This species is usually very territorial as you've witnessed

Often you get cannibalism/deaths from fighting, might be worth removing the male if you think they've mated!

IMO usually its the male initiating the courtship
Thanks. I was just informed about certain conditions that is important to the maiting "dance". Specifically the flat rock/surface. I didn't know about that so the enclosure doesn't have one. So I don't think they have mated yet. And since mating is something I want to happen, I wont remove any of them unless things get out of hand.. They are both alive and, from what I can see, unharmed so I concluded they where just trying to scare each other off.