Small scorpion for kritter keeper

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
I am looking to getting a striped tail devil scorpion (Hoffmannius spinigerus) or any of the American bark scorpions besides the arizona species. Would a kritter keeper (like a mini for one or two, and a medium above for several or for one large specimen) with sand and digging clay work? Any flat stones?

Fostori

Arachnopeon
Hey :)

Often, breeders will keep small scorpions in deli cups until they're sold. Even at full adult size. OF course some exceptions to this is large scorpions like Pandinus's, Hadrurus's, Heterometrus's, etc. So, for the H. spinigerus, you should be fine for any kritter keeper that's larger than a deli.

Of course you should get the largest option available, just for the comfort of your scorpion, especially if you're adding exterior heat so it can regulate it's temperature.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the H. spinigerus, nor it's communal behavior. Even with communal species I try to add as much space as possible to create a less stressful environment. I think we need to know the size of the enclosure you plan to put it in. If you plan to get a communal set up going I suggest the Exo Terra large kritter keepers.

I'm here if you have any questions. :)

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Personally, I would go with a small Centruroides. C. guanensis and C. hentzi are fairly easy to get a hold of. They are very communal and breed quickly. A few of those would do very well in a small kritter keeper.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I agree with Lokal that Centruroides would be your best option if you want something communal in any size KK. The larger the species (C. gracilis being largest), the more space they'll want to have if you keep more than one. H. spinigerus don't play nicely together and you'll just end up with one scorp, but you can definitely keep one in a small/medium KK with the sand/clay mixture and a couple flat stones for it to hide under.

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
V. caralinianus are a small, very communal species that can be housed together in a mini kk, (2 or 3) or in a medium kk ( 5-7) as long as enough hides are provided. Layered oak leaves or a few pieces of cork bark