Cleanser

tspivey16

Arachnopeon
Is there a particular cleanser that everyone uses to remove Avicularia poop from the side of glass enclosures?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I sometimes think that Ephebopus sp. poop is by far, the worst i've dealt with. I just clean that with water. "Cleanser" products and T's doesn't mix.

cold blood

Staff member
Water and "elbow grease". I'm amazed how well it sticks...its like paint.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
A good plain water soak helps. If area cannot be easily submersed, then try wallpapering the area with damp paper towels to soften dried on poop. May have to wipe and reapply damp paper towels to soften thickened messes.
I am not a huge fan of cleaners, but as a last resort (esp if you have hard water), I see no harm in a few drops of 'natural'/gentle dish soap -- just rinse extremely well.

KristinaMG

Arachnosquire
Use a razor.
Doesn't that scratch up the sides of your enclosure? I just use a damp cloth, sponge, or q-tip. I find the walls pretty easy to clean but trying to get it off the silk plants is a pain in the butt.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Doesn't that scratch up the sides of your enclosure? I just use a damp cloth, sponge, or q-tip. I find the walls pretty easy to clean but trying to get it off the silk plants is a pain in the butt.
It will scratch acrylic, but not glass. For acrylic or plastic enclosures I use an algae scrubber designed for cleaning acrylic fish tanks.

awiec

Arachnoprince
It will scratch acrylic, but not glass. For acrylic or plastic enclosures I use an algae scrubber designed for cleaning acrylic fish tanks.
This is what I use, I have a small magenta one that works great and is easy to clean or a wet wash cloth always does the trick. Always just warm water and a little effort, anything can harm your animal.

Oroborus

Arachnosquire
Same thing I use on my reef tank, vineger and water. Cleans well, smell dissipates quickly and completely natural - works great on windows too!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Good idea.

DO NOT USE Vinegar! Acetic acid vapors can be highly toxic, especially when they interact with organic compounds! http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9922769

I'd suggest a dense sponge soaked with water and held tightly against the glass for a while. Even an hour or two. It's pretty much the same with all fecal material: it will dissolve in water but takes time. Speaking of which, the floor of the cats bathroom has been soaking for about two hours now and should hose clean in a few moments.

Oroborus

Arachnosquire
Good idea.

DO NOT USE Vinegar! Acetic acid vapors can be highly toxic, especially when they interact with organic compounds! http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9922769

I'd suggest a dense sponge soaked with water and held tightly against the glass for a while. Even an hour or two. It's pretty much the same with all fecal material: it will dissolve in water but takes time. Speaking of which, the floor of the cats bathroom has been soaking for about two hours now and should hose clean in a few moments.
Thanks for the MSDS sheet. I use white vinegar, you know the kind you put on fries and make salad dressing. Not dead yet. Nor are my tarantulas. Nor are my small polyp stoney corals which in my experience are more sensitive to enviromental conditions than any spider I've ever seen, but hey, I'm only a peon what do I know. I can only say what works for me, and you're right under certain conditions and concentrations any acid, including citric, can be corrosive and react violently with certain chemicals and compounds. I highly dilute with RO/DI water in a spray bottle. Just offering my opinion. Guess I'll just have learn the hard way. Cheers☺

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Thanks for the MSDS sheet. I use white vinegar, you know the kind you put on fries and make salad dressing. Not dead yet. Nor are my tarantulas. Nor are my small polyp stoney corals which in my experience are more sensitive to enviromental conditions than any spider I've ever seen, but hey, I'm only a peon what do I know. I can only say what works for me, and you're right under certain conditions and concentrations any acid, including citric, can be corrosive and react violently with certain chemicals and compounds. I highly dilute with RO/DI water in a spray bottle. Just offering my opinion. Guess I'll just have learn the hard way. Cheers☺
White vinegar is synthetic acetic acid commonly made from ethanol up to 18% concentration. Sorry about being a nervous Nelly but acetic acid is the mainstay for first year chemistry students to make a galaxy of poisons and noxious substances.