Phlogius Goliath mating video

awiec

Arachnoprince
That male is gorgeous, are there any aussie species that have females that look like that or are those colors just restricted to males?

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
That male is gorgeous, are there any aussie species that have females that look like that or are those colors just restricted to males?
I believe there was a species where they all shared the same cream colour "ghost T" Anyway, here is a better pic of one of my males for you.
Strenuus male 2.jpg

Attachments

awiec

Arachnoprince
Thank you, what a handsome guy. I'm glad these animals are getting a chance to do what they were meant to do.

KristinaMG

Arachnosquire
Wow, what a cool video, thanks for sharing. Forgive my ignorance, I know very little about mating Ts, but is it always possible to separate them and rescue the male after, or do the males sometimes not make it despite attempts to intervene?

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
They remind me of pictures I saw of a T called Phlogius sp. "pq 113" a while ago.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Wow, what a cool video, thanks for sharing. Forgive my ignorance, I know very little about mating Ts, but is it always possible to separate them and rescue the male after, or do the males sometimes not make it despite attempts to intervene?
If she punctures him there is no saving him and you might as well let the female have a good meal. Now if she just gets a leg then he would would be fine to mate again. There will be females who will attack before he even has a chance to drum, some will let him walk away and some will try to eat him after the deed; you can try your best to save him but sometimes the female is way faster than you are.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
The size difference is crazy, but I love seeing the comparison in action.

Are there any male Ts that end up bigger than the females?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I didn't understand why spoon used was metal instead of wood; and why female needed to be corralled back into her burrow before lid could be placed back on.

Still enjoyed watching the video though. :)

Is it obvious I don't breed? lol

Psyrocke

Arachnopeon
I didn't understand why spoon used was metal instead of wood; and why female needed to be corralled back into her burrow before lid could be placed back on.

Still enjoyed watching the video though. :)

Is it obvious I don't breed? lol
I don't breed either but when I watched I thought the female had to be 'placed' into her burrow to allow the person mating them to have his hands near the middle/bottom of enclosure to get the male into his tub.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
No, sometimes the males do get crunched, phlogius species are quite easy to breed though so it doesn't happen too much, happens a lot with new worlds though. they breed quite aggressively.

---------- Post added 10-09-2015 at 01:29 PM ----------

I'd say it's so she doesn't climb glass, too big to risk taking a fall.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
The size difference is crazy, but I love seeing the comparison in action.

Are there any male Ts that end up bigger than the females?
Yeah I have seen it sometimes, I have seen some huge males (7 inches) with much younger females (around 5 inches), it's rare though and most people here don't breed their girls until 6+

Last edited:

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Thanks Belle, this was a male that Steve mated with the same female in the video about 3-4 years ago, this is what we consider a small male haha about 3.5inches,
for your viewing pleasure ;)
mate.1.jpg
mate2.jpg
mate5.jpg

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Yeah the dwarfing in this species can be ridiculous sometimes, it normally happens when the small males race to maturity within a year, the males who take two years are the big boys.