Do you think it's a wise choice?

SunTiger1

Arachnopeon
Hi

I am currently wondering if I should rehouse my H.Lividum (Cobalt Blue)
to a 17cm x 17cm cube. She is currently measuring around 5cm legspan.
The cube wil also allow alot more substrate than she currently has.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Depends who u ask.. Im about to house a ~2.5in T into a 7*7 or a 10*10 so personaly i say go for it. But others might think its a huge jump (lso depends if ur using body length or dsl

Psyrocke

Arachnopeon
I would say so. I keep my 2in B. cabocla (Brazilian Redhead) in a 9inx6inx6in pet keeper (similar to a kritter keeper) with 3in of substrate and a hide and open water dish. While my T is new world and yours is old, both are terrestial and prone to burrowing/hiding so the more ability you can give to them the better in my opinion. But maybe some more pro people could chime in if I'm totally in the wrong here.

cold blood

Staff member
Personally, I'd put that spider in an enclosure twice the size you are considering. They utilize a lot of space burrowing, and you won't need to worry about re-housing your Haplo nearly as often, it can keep expanding its burrows for a while.

SunTiger1

Arachnopeon
Personally, I'd put that spider in an enclosure twice the size you are considering. They utilize a lot of space burrowing, and you won't need to worry about re-housing your Haplo nearly as often, it can keep expanding its burrows for a while.
Thanks. I might consider that. Another thing is, what is the best way to get the T out of its burrow to rehouse?

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks. I might consider that. Another thing is, what is the best way to get the T out of its burrow to rehouse?
If you don't feel comfortable digging it up, you could try slowly flooding the burrow entrance. (With water, not something silly like orange juice)
Just be ready for when an angry Haplo comes rushing out as they tend not to take kindly to anything, especially being deluged.
It could take a bit, since they can stay submerged for a lot longer than you'd expect.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
If you don't feel comfortable digging it up, you could try slowly flooding the burrow entrance. (With water, not something silly like orange juice)
Just be ready for when an angry Haplo comes rushing out as they tend not to take kindly to anything, especially being deluged.
It could take a bit, since they can stay submerged for a lot longer than you'd expect.
Lol leave it to u to say OJ lmao...

But flooding it out with a 32oz cup over burrow seemed to work for my buddy. Hiwever his has 7 burrow enttances (36"x12"x18" cage) and was like playing wack a mole trying to have 3people secure the other cups wiel one holds a cup and starts raising water level.. She stayed underthe water for like 10 mins before finaly coming up -.- longest most boring adrenaline rush ever lol

cold blood

Staff member
I prefer to use a longer handled spoon and slowly spoon out the sub...this often leaves the t hunkered down till you reach it, as opposed to flying out to avoid the impending flood.