Stag Beetles

Jacobospider5

Arachnopeon
Does anyone know how to find these in CA? Also, are there any online dealers? Thanks!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Adults can likely be found around lights after dark or at sap flows. If you want larvae, you may have luck breaking open rotten hardwood logs. Bugs in Cyberspace has them occasionally and I've seen a few people here on AB post with them for sale from time to time. Are you a member of beetleforum.net?

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
bugsincyberspace.com is the only dealer that I know of that will occasionally have them for sale. If what you mean by "stage beetle" is an insect with extremely large mandibles the genus Lucanus is what you'd be looking for. Those don't occur in California. Insects that are taxinomically considered stage beetles are beetles in the family Lucanidae.

The only stage beetles you'd find in California would look something like this:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/942113/bgimage

I assume what you are looking for is something like this:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/904589/bgimage

Your best bet is to buy. If you're still want to look, check inside of decaying hardwood logs to find larvae and check in forests to find adults. The adults may be attracted to light. Hope this helps!

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Californa has: Ceruchus, Platyceroides, Platycerus, and Sinodendron.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I'm selling a male and female Lucanus elaphus. PM me if you're interested!

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
All non-native beetles (save for Lucanidae sp.) and phasmids are illegal to own in the USA. Because of this, many of the the beetles that you, me, and everyone else wants have to be native here. And being that the USA doesn't have any tropical rainforests where the huge beetles are usually found, our native insects are usually much smaller and less impressive. Lucanus elaphus and Dynastes tityus are the largest ones we have. Like mentioned above there are a couple sellers who sell them on an occasional basis, but I have noticed that here in the USA they don't *usually* sell in pairs for some of the species and often in only one sex (male), preventing people from breeding them and giving the seller a monopoly on the beetle business here since it's already not very big.

Last edited:

Vinegaroonie

Arachnoknight
Klawfran, I'n nearly positive non-native stags are legal in California. I've emailed an inquiry on it and they replied "yes, but only lucannidae spp."

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Klawfran, I'n nearly positive non-native stags are legal in California. I've emailed an inquiry on it and they replied "yes, but only lucannidae spp."
Really? I haven't heard of this. Who did you contact? Excuse me if I gave out wrong information, I'll delete it.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
All non-native beetles (save for Lucanidae sp.) and phasmids are illegal to own in the USA. Because of this, many of the the beetles that you, me, and everyone else wants have to be native here. And being that the USA doesn't have any tropical rainforests where the huge beetles are usually found, our native insects are usually much smaller and less impressive. Lucanus elaphus and Dynastes tityus are the largest ones we have. Like mentioned above there are a couple sellers who sell them on an occasional basis, but I have noticed that here in the USA they don't *usually* sell in pairs for some of the species and often in only one sex (male), preventing people from breeding them and giving the seller a monopoly on the beetle business here since it's already not very big.
I don't know what dealers you work with, but Peter from bugsincyberspace.com offers larva and adult sexed pairs of Dynastes sp and stag beetles. Every few years I will drive down to Arizona and collect Dynastes tityus, and I would be willing to sell. I don't breed them though because if I did I would run out of wood really quickly. Rotting hardwood is a rare resource in Colorado.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Yes I'm fermenting them. Beetle forum.net has a bunch of info on the process. Basically you get some Traeger pellets, pour hot water on them and they pop and expand into a bunch of sawdust, kinda like the coconut fiber bricks. Then you dry out the sawdust, mix it with flour and yeast, wet it again, and put it in a well ventilated container and shake it up daily for a month, and there you have it! Also, while it's fermenting, the temperature of the wood rises, and it feels really warm to the touch. When it is done fermenting, the temperature goes back to normal.

Lucanus95

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Every few years I will drive down to Arizona and collect Dynastes tityus, and I would be willing to sell. I don't breed them though because if I did I would run out of wood really quickly. Rotting hardwood is a rare resource in Colorado.
I believe the species you are referring to is D. grantii since tityus aren't found in AZ