Brachypelma boehmei Mating .

Rhyce

Arachnopeon
Well, I have a MF B. boehmei that recently molted. And I should be obtaining a fresh MM on Wednesday.
I was wondering, how is the females temper towards the male? And how long till the Male starts to move in on the female?

With my little experience breeding Brachys. I know that my Vagans were aggressive towards the male. Just wondering if its the same
Attitude?

Thanks - Rhys

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My experience in breeding docile species is that they're harder on males than most tropicals. I sit right next to the cage, and keep a catch cup and an unsharpened pencil in my hands, ready to rescue the male. Most of the time the males survive, but occasionally the female is so fast, that she bear hugs him right after insertion and sinks her fangs into his carapace. Occasionally a male gets killed before or as he starts courtship (drumming/tapping).

John2097

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
I tried breeding my b vagans also but every time the male touched the female front leg she'll always charge him like it was a bad day. He's always fast to escape from her. I always have my tong and catching cup every time I put the male in the female enclosure. Any Advice in breeding brachipelma species? Thanks in advance. Thanks for posting this thread Rhys! Hope we get more comments =)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I tried breeding my b vagans also but every time the male touched the female front leg she'll always charge him like it was a bad day. He's always fast to escape from her. I always have my tong and catching cup every time I put the male in the female enclosure.

That's the first male I lost, B vagans. Right after insertion she put her fangs in his carapace. Until then, the males had always been able to get away and I'd scoop them out in a deli cup.

Rhyce

Arachnopeon
Yeah! that's how my female vagans was towards my male john2097. But I let them be, and it was as if the male stood his ground and didn't let her
Get her legs around her, and they ended up breeding successully. So I don't know. In my experience, no matter the species, a bigger Male always does better then a
Smaller male.

John2097

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
Awesome! Did you get eggsac from her. And what temperature do you keep them to lay egg? Thanks. Hopefully one day I get a chance to breed my b. Boeheime also!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
In my experience, no matter the species, a bigger Male always does better then a
Smaller male.

Not necessarily, any size male can impregnate a female, even a large female. The advantage large males have is that they have a better chance of fending off a cranky female, and have overall better survival rates.

I had some black 7" Chilobrachys females, males were around 3". In both instances, the females mated and laid good sacs, however after insertion they simply ate the male like it was a cricket. I think the males knew going in, that it was a one way event. A 6-7" male wouldn't have been so easy to dominate.

Rhyce

Arachnopeon
I'm saying from "my experience", big males tend to do better. But any size male can impregnate a female.

---------- Post added 10-12-2015 at 03:38 PM ----------

Awesome! Did you get eggsac from her. And what temperature do you keep them to lay egg? Thanks. Hopefully one day I get a chance to breed my b. Boeheime also!
I keep my all my Ts at a range between 78-83 degrees fahrenheit. And they with B. vagans, a humidity of 70% - 75%.