Brachypelma beavering....

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
I have been holding out on everybody here and I am sorry. I want to discuss some really interesting behavior with everybody to see what you guys think or if you have ever observed this in your own tarantulas. My 3, ~2 inch B. Albopilosums have some cork bark in their deli cups that protrudes above the surface of the eco earth. I placed it there to allow for burrowing underneath. Typical, outgoing Albopilosums, or Oh Bope A Lopas, according to my wife, they never burrowed. What they did do, in addition to shoveling dirt around to adjust the fung shui of their homes, was somehow chip pieces of bark off to make more room for.....doing spider stuff? I did not know what I was seeing at first, thinking it was pale, dried out substrate. As more appeared, I realized it was small pieces of cork bark. Coincidentally, I observed little scoop like dents in the pieces of cork in their enclosures. My humble opinion is that they dug little pieces off the chunks of bark using their fangs. I believe the did this because I filled the substrate about 2/3 up the cup and the cork interfered with their walking space on the surface. I believe my curlys wanted more space on the surface and since they could not walk over the bark due to the lid of the cup forming a low ceiling, they "chewed" clean through the bark, making more room in the cup...maybe a bit less substrate and smaller bark pieces next time to make their homes more roomy. Bold species like these may prefer the open space as opposed to clutter to hide in....anyway, as much as I would name this behavior after myself, like any good, self absorbed scientist, I think I would rather refer to it as beavering. Beavers are a large semi-aquatic rodent renowned for their propensity for and ability to, effectively chew through wood, hence beavering.....I am ridiculous. I am sure some of you may have seen similar behavior but I have yet to hear any mention of it. This makes me feel like an arachnologist and not just some dude that likes to keep spiders. Awesome.

cold blood

Staff member
My humble opinion is that they dug little pieces off the chunks of bark using their fangs. I believe the did this because I filled the substrate about 2/3 up the cup and the cork interfered with their walking space on the surface. I believe my curlys wanted more space on the surface and since they could not walk over the bark due to the lid of the cup forming a low ceiling, they "chewed" clean through the bark, making more room in the cup...maybe a bit less substrate and smaller bark pieces next time to make their homes more roomy. Bold species like these may prefer the open space as opposed to clutter to hide in....anyway, as much as I would name this behavior after myself, like any good, self absorbed scientist, I think I would rather refer to it as beavering. Beavers are a large semi-aquatic rodent renowned for their propensity for and ability to, effectively chew through wood, hence beavering.....I am ridiculous. I am sure some of you may have seen similar behavior but I have yet to hear any mention of it. This makes me feel like an arachnologist and not just some dude that likes to keep spiders. Awesome.
I think your reading to much into their motives....anthropomorphizing a bit perhaps. Just a t being a t really....the real reason would truly only be speculation, but I highly doubt its to make more room as I've observed this a few times in fairly large enclosures...my P. cancerides comes to mind as well as one of my N. chromatus.

Albos move sub around and do a lot of landscaping, but probably burrow and less than many other species, all too often choosing to live on the surface without utilizing overhead cover.

Beavers are rodents, therefore they are required to chew, to not would result in their teeth growing into the opposing jaw bone.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
I think your reading to much into their motives....anthropomorphizing a bit perhaps. Just a t being a t really....the real reason would truly only be speculation, but I highly doubt its to make more room as I've observed this a few times in fairly large enclosures...my P. cancerides comes to mind as well as one of my N. chromatus.

Albos move sub around and do a lot of landscaping, but probably burrow and less than many other species, all too often choosing to live on the surface without utilizing overhead cover.

Beavers are rodents, therefore they are required to chew, to not would result in their teeth growing into the opposing jaw bone.
My humor was lost on you I see. Not to mention my understanding of beavers being rodents. Thank you though for straightening me out. If you observe the spider removing material in a certain pattern, you can't draw a conclusion about a possible motive? When your P. Cancerides and N. chromatus beavered the wood, was there any pattern to it or completely random?

cold blood

Staff member
As your thread was started in the questions and discussions section [for scientific questions and discussion and discussion pertaining to tarantulas and discussing items with widespread repercussions to the hobby], the humor was indeed lost as it was an unexpected place to look for humor. It may not have been had it been placed in TWH or even perhaps tarantula chat. Then again re-reading it, knowing there was humor, its still lost on me.:?

I observed no real pattern, just an area of wood shavings in both cases.

Last edited:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Tarantulas dig out and maintain their burrows in the wild, and it's reasonable to assume they come in contact with hard materials like clay, rocks or wood while doing so.
It makes sense that they'd evolve to dig/chew/break up such obstructions as they encounter them underground, and so do the same when finding similar situations in captivity.
Among other things, they will also pull/move/chew through water dishes, pebbles, acrylic and aluminum vents, and styrofoam backgrounds.

Burrowers being burrowers.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Yeah, they'll redesign their enclosures to suit their needs. I have a juvenile male Pelinobius muticus who tore through some cork bark that was projecting into the area in which he made his burrow. The cork "sawdust" is kind of funny.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
As your thread was started in the questions and discussions section [for scientific questions and discussion and discussion pertaining to tarantulas and discussing items with widespread repercussions to the hobby], the humor was indeed lost as it was an unexpected place to look for humor. It may not have been had it been placed in TWH or even perhaps tarantula chat. Then again re-reading it, knowing there was humor, its still lost on me.:?

I observed no real pattern, just an area of wood shavings in both cases.
Sir, it is possible to discuss behavior with scientific relevance while still having a sense of humor. You know that. I am sorry you do not see the humor in my post, as I try not to be too stuffy and dry, except me dry humor, even when discussing interesting topics which I am sincerely fascinated by and curious about. Have 2-3 bourbons and read it again, pretending it was your first time. Being a stick in the mud is really of no benefit here. This is a forum of folks with common interests. It is always more beneficial to try to see where someone is coming from rather than picking apart a post just to show off your knowledge. Cold blood, come on buddy. You were part of a group that helped get me initiated here and we ain't never had problems making humor even in our conversations about these things. If something was wrong with the original post, then hobo would have moved it. Your spiders chipped bark apart that was not blocking a burrow or anything and you did not even wonder what might have made them do that?

---------- Post added 10-11-2015 at 11:12 AM ----------

Tarantulas dig out and maintain their burrows in the wild, and it's reasonable to assume they come in contact with hard materials like clay, rocks or wood while doing so.
It makes sense that they'd evolve to dig/chew/break up such obstructions as they encounter them underground, and so do the same when finding similar situations in captivity.
Among other things, they will also pull/move/chew through water dishes, pebbles, acrylic and aluminum vents, and styrofoam backgrounds.

Burrowers being burrowers.
Does make sense, I had just never seen it myself nor heard any of the more experienced keepers mention it along with the oft discussed dirt moving and water dish burying behaviors! This being the case, has anybody had a spider burrow through the side of a plastic storage tub being used as a cage? If so, this is important behavior for husbandry since my collection is all in sterilite tubs as are many peoples'.

---------- Post added 10-11-2015 at 11:14 AM ----------

Yeah, they'll redesign their enclosures to suit their needs. I have a juvenile male Pelinobius muticus who tore through some cork bark that was projecting into the area in which he made his burrow. The cork "sawdust" is kind of funny.
I thought so too! Had to have taken some effort as the project spanned several weeks. I have seen the usual behavior from my spiders when it comes to altering their environment....dirt moving, webbing, water dish abuse, etc. I had never seen a spider use the fangs like chisels and burrow through wood like that....very cool!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My B albo has bulldozed and made an elaborate underground tunnel system - definitely a decorator. Can't tell if he/she has chewed on the cork bark or not, but I will definitely keep an eye out now. As mine has neared the 2" mark, mine definitely stays topside more. Mine was actually a freebie -- but I can't imagine not having the little tyke now. :)

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
My B albo has bulldozed and made an elaborate underground tunnel system - definitely a decorator. Can't tell if he/she has chewed on the cork bark or not, but I will definitely keep an eye out now. As mine has neared the 2" mark, mine definitely stays topside more. Mine was actually a freebie -- but I can't imagine not having the little tyke now. :)
Same here, the species is really industrious and seemingly not afraid of much. Not to mention they eat very well. Mine is about as consistent as me Genic when it comes to tackling food! My opinion is they are a pretty ideal first tarantula.

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
B. albopilosum was my first spider for this round of pet acquisition. Paid $40, and later found out they are often given away as freebies. Still worth every penny.

Mine doesn't dig like most do, but my house sits a titch cooler than most (20-22 C (68-72 F)), so she seems less active than other people describe theirs. She only digs for about 2 weeks out of every 3-4 months. The rest of time she's enjoying the view from the top of her hide. Very calm, slow to react, occasionally climbs (and slides down) the glass sides.

Currently she's dug under her hide, and may be slowly letting the hide cave into the rest of the substrate. This take her months to accomplish. :)

One of the better beginner spider anyone could have. Drab colours, yet a colourful personality.

Last edited:

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight

I just checked my P. Muticus slings today and found a few cork bark chips in their deli cups....you got me thinking that some species may be more prone to this in captivity than others. Obviously I can't say anything conclusive, but interesting to find that they had done some beavering after I read your post. I love my little kings! So cool how they look like miniature versions of the adults in that they have the light brown rust color as slings. Now only ten years until they get towards the max size for the species, if I am lucky enough to raise a big one. I could be wrong here but I have heard they take about a decade to really put on size.

cold blood

Staff member
Sir, it is possible to discuss behavior with scientific relevance while still having a sense of humor. You know that. I am sorry you do not see the humor in my post, as I try not to be too stuffy and dry, except me dry humor, even when discussing interesting topics which I am sincerely fascinated by and curious about. Have 2-3 bourbons and read it again, pretending it was your first time. Being a stick in the mud is really of no benefit here. This is a forum of folks with common interests. It is always more beneficial to try to see where someone is coming from rather than picking apart a post just to show off your knowledge. Cold blood, come on buddy. You were part of a group that helped get me initiated here and we ain't never had problems making humor even in our conversations about these things. If something was wrong with the original post, then hobo would have moved it.
What are you going on about, I'm seriously baffled by your seemingly random animosity:?

In both my posts I gave feedback...honest feedback. The fact that I missed some humor has overshadowed everything, despite being irrelevant, truly makes no sense. You've been around and chatted with me enough to know that I have a good sense of humor, regardless of the forum. I do NOT care that you were being humorous in this forum, I was just saying that I interpreted the OP in a serious tone/manner simply because of where it was, not that it didn't belong or that I was somehow upset about it or felt it needed to be moved.:wall: I feel like I tried to merely start the conversation with someone I had previously always enjoyed and you somehow felt attacked enough to feel the need to defend what was essentially nothing:? To call me a stick in the mud just for not getting humor in an isolated incident is laughable.

Seriously dude, I wasn't unfriendly toward you at all in ANY way and never have been.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
No animosity cold blood. You are misinterpreting my tone which is easy to do through text. I was having fun with my initial post there. You seemed to miss my humor and I therefore was busting your chops about being a stick in the mud and showing off by correcting my interpretation of the wood work my spiders were doing. Next time I will put "lol" or something. I see only one way to sort this out. Whiskey drink off.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
... and styrofoam backgrounds.
One very good reason why I do use natural corkbark backgrounds. I don't like the thought of them working the styrofoam cluttering the enclosure over time with it...

cold blood

Staff member
I see only one way to sort this out. Whiskey drink off.
I'm an oddball Wisconsonite...not much of a drinker, that :poop: is way more dangerous than people are led to believe and gets way too many people into all kinds of trouble (it did for me in my younger, heavier drinking days)....we can have a smoke off:laugh: Whisky is straight up nasty, just the smell turns my stomach...in the rare occasion I have a shot, I prefer tequila all the way.;)

Its all good homie!:smile:

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
I'm an oddball Wisconsonite...not much of a drinker, that :poop: is way more dangerous than people are led to believe and gets way too many people into all kinds of trouble (it did for me in my younger, heavier drinking days)....we can have a smoke off:laugh: Whisky is straight up nasty, just the smell turns my stomach...in the rare occasion I have a shot, I prefer tequila all the way.;)

That's understandable, alcohol is more volatile than folks think....a smoke off...haha good call, but I retired from that game for sometime anyways! Tequila has never been my thing but hey, I guess I should keep an open mind! Ah well, glad we cleared that up bro! My B. Albopilosums will probably be rehoused sometime in the next 6months or so. I will have to see if they keep up the beaver routine. My larger one that is in a sterilite latch tub seems to not dig or burrow much at all. Hopefully at least one of them will keep it up. It's kind of cool seeing what little projects they get into!

Just realized we joined the same time and look how much more posting you have done. I am a slacker....

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

Give me 3 months and I challenge you to a smoke-off buddy boy!! Be prepared to get ur ass handed to u! Mwahahahaaa!

--J.Haas

Sana

Arachnoprince
You don't want to be drunk in three months when the baby is screaming his head off for no apparent reason. It makes the hangover soooooo much worse.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Give me 3 months and I challenge you to a smoke-off buddy boy!! Be prepared to get ur ass handed to u! Mwahahahaaa!

--J.Haas
I'll like to join in (well give me at least 6 months hehehe), but it depends on WHAT you'll be smoking :laugh:

---------- Post added 10-29-2015 at 02:22 AM ----------

You don't want to be drunk in three months when the baby is screaming his head off for no apparent reason. It makes the hangover soooooo much worse.
Hehehehe she said smoke-off :p

Last edited:

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'll like to join it (well give me at least 6 months hehehe), but it depends on WHAT you'll be smoking :laugh: p
Crack, obviously... Lol jk jk
But Omg you're gravid too??

--J.Haas

---------- Post added 10-29-2015 at 03:06 PM ----------

Duly noted! [emoji15][emoji15]

--J.Haas