Cool T to put in Exo Terra Nano Tall

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Hey guys,

Curious as to what your opinions are on a cool arboreal T to house in one of these tanks. Excited to see what everyone thinks!

Link to tank: http://www.lllreptile.com/products/15807-exo-terra-nano-glass-terrarium-tall
depends what meets your fancy but tbh price wise for me anyways joshsfrogs is a bit cheaper on shipping ;) [unless your walking to the store lol]

im personaly debating on puting my P. langenbucheri in an 8x8x8 ^_^ i hear they are ok for the smaller avics, but venting may be "fun"

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
An A. Minatrix would be a good fit size-wise, but you'd need to do a bit of alteration to really get some better cross ventilation. The screen top and front vents are nice, but kind of lack the circulation needed for Avics.

The Pachistopelma genus has some neat little critters in it, although they're much harder to find.
I can't speak for their care requirements compared to Avics, though.

Iridopelma are fairly smallish as well, as are some Tapinauchenius.

You could also consider a semi-arboreal resident, although you might need to rehouse them as adults. 5-6" would be pushing it a bit.
GBB, T. Okerti.
If you feel you can handle a skittish, defensive, venomous jack-in-the-box, an OBT might be interesting. (I would a probably avoid the OBT, though. That's just me.)

Last edited:

Anthony Jensen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
depends what meets your fancy but tbh price wise for me anyways joshsfrogs is a bit cheaper on shipping ;) [unless your walking to the store lol]

im personaly debating on puting my P. langenbucheri in an 8x8x8 ^_^ i hear they are ok for the smaller avics, but venting may be "fun"
Haha, yeah I'm in AZ right now for college, but in the summer I live only 10 min away from LLL so I'll just purchase it there :) I'm not into Avics, so I was thinking of something else like a Hapalopus sp., P. langenbucheri is an awesome T!

An A. Minatrix would be a good fit size-wise, but you'd need to do a bit of alteration to really get some better cross ventilation. The screen top and front vents are nice, but kind of lack the circulation needed for Avics.

The Pachistopelma genus has some neat little critters in it, although they're much harder to find.
I can't speak for their care requirements compared to Avics, though.

Iridopelma are fairly smallish as well, as are some Tapinauchenius.

You could also consider a semi-arboreal resident, although you might need to rehouse them as adults. 5-6" would be pushing it a bit.
GBB, T. Okerti.
If you feel you can handle a skittish, defensive, venomous jack-in-the-box, an OBT might be interesting. (I would a probably avoid the OBT, though. That's just me.)
Thanks for that input. GBB and T.ockerti are two of my fav T's. I'll pass on the OBT, LOL! I know the Hapolopus sp. is very skittish but there is something about them that is just awesome.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Haha, yeah I'm in AZ right now for college, but in the summer I live only 10 min away from LLL so I'll just purchase it there :) I'm not into Avics, so I was thinking of something else like a Hapalopus sp., P. langenbucheri is an awesome T!

Thanks for that input. GBB and T.ockerti are two of my fav T's. I'll pass on the OBT, LOL! I know the Hapolopus sp. is very skittish but there is something about them that is just awesome.
lol thanks i love my P. lang.. if i ever get my lasis moved im getting 1 or 2 more lmaoo ill hafta see how my girl likes her 8x8 is i get it tho lmao

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know the Hapolopus sp. is very skittish but there is something about them that is just awesome.

I don't know how well a Hapolopus would fare in an arboreal styled enclosure, but one of the 8x8x8" would probably be fun.
They web like crazy, and eat like garbage disposals. Almost makes up for them being escape artists.

Arachnophobia4u

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone this is my first post and I would like to share my tarantula in a nano exo tank that you wanted to buy

I'm not sure about the air circulation as well but I do open the front door often to air it out. I love Avics!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello everyone this is my first post and I would like to share my tarantula in a nano exo tank that you wanted to buy

I'm not sure about the air circulation as well but I do open the front door often to air it out. I love Avics!

Looks great. Love the naturalistic feel.

Real bromeliad and orchids?

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
Yes they are real live plants.

Very nice! Your brom looks like a brom I have. It was dying in an ornamental dish, so I stuffed it into the corner of a much bigger Exo-terra (18x18x24H), and it quickly out grew that tank. The brom does not care. It's still very much alive, thriving, and getting some nice colour now. The leaves are trying to fit in wherever they can.

Been considering adding to the overcrowding by adding an orchid or two. :) Love planted tanks!

Arachnophobia4u

Arachnopeon
Very nice! Your brom looks like a brom I have. It was dying in an ornamental dish, so I stuffed it into the corner of a much bigger Exo-terra (18x18x24H), and it quickly out grew that tank. The brom does not care. It's still very much alive, thriving, and getting some nice colour now. The leaves are trying to fit in wherever they can.

Been considering adding to the overcrowding by adding an orchid or two. :) Love planted tanks!
18x18x24 will be nice for a communal avic tank :) I wish I still had my fluVal edge tank but then again that tank has no air circulation. Oh add some vines into your vivarium. It's a great filler for the top area.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Either cut yourself an acrylic custom top instead of the meshscreen (I know, many say it's fine - I personally can't stand ExoTerras...overpriced and that screenmesh is just an accident waiting to happen) or chose a different cage. Aside their price, having to modify a bought enclosure to make it "safe" makes me not even consider buying one, but instead a better suited one right away :).

Either way, good luck!

Arachnophobia4u

Arachnopeon
Either cut yourself an acrylic custom top instead of the meshscreen (I know, many say it's fine - I personally can't stand ExoTerras...overpriced and that screenmesh is just an accident waiting to happen) or chose a different cage. Aside their price, having to modify a bought enclosure to make it "safe" makes me not even consider buying one, but instead a better suited one right away :).

Either way, good luck!
He is right! Those tank is not worth the money. If you can get it cheap/used then go for it! I got mine in a trade but other then that I wouldn't go out there to buy a new one! I'm using press and seal on the top and left the mesh alone..

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I say that Exo Terra Nano aren't bad enclosures at all, unlike the prior "arboreals" Exo Terra models (i still think that the brand is more into reptiles than T's) however i agree with Storm76.
On a personal note: being a USA citizen i would have go for those amazing side opening acrylic enclosure you guys in U.S have, damn they are the top for arboreals!

But, f-word :mad: for some strange and odd reasons, no one from U.S wanna ship those to me in Italy not even if i pay via PayPal nor using USPS priority mail international. No one, and i usually receive stuff from Mexico shipped by my Arizona contacts with no problems :-(
I doesn't want to ask to my mother's family (USA citizens) to buy one for me and then (re)ship to Italy, i don't like to depend by others.

That's one of the reasons why i ended up with arboreals.. i refuse to use those poor ventilated, guillottine up/down opening, glass cages there's here in Europe.

cold blood

Staff member
Haha, yeah I'm in AZ right now for college, but in the summer I live only 10 min away from LLL so I'll just purchase it there.
Do yourself and the hobby a favor and shop elsewhere...one of the worst places to buy a t from in the country.

I totally agree with Storm. The screen top needs to go and replaced with a proper top for a t. Great looking enclosures that are way over-priced and just leave too much to be desired in the ventilation department for me to use, especially for an avic.

Arachnophobia, the live plants look great.;)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Which enclosures, Chris? Link?
You know, those arboreal acrylic enclosures.. like the one you can see here and then here on some pics, like Jamie's Tarantulas one (btw, he/she told to me, at least, unlike others who never replied my mails.. not here on AB, but via private mail, that they don't ship international).

Oh well.. i don't have anymore the space now for others T's or enclosures at the moment (i have 13 T's now.. new T's would ruin the "harmony" of my room, and i love harmony and extreme order, i'm a weirdo).

The only arboreal i have (now, because i trade others Psalmopoeus cambridgei) is a supposed female, very sweet, Psalmopoeus cambridgei, housed in a acrylic enclosure i found for pure luck on ebay years ago from a Germany seller (but was U.S made).
Just that IMO sucks to have to find stuff for.. pure luck ah ah :)

Sure there's lots of "Exo's" available here but i don't like too much those, with all the respect. Plus, i don't have the patience, nor the ability, to make one acrylic enclosure by myself. I would end like Homer Simpson (with the screwdriver and everything) in that episode where he destroyed Ned Flanders house :coffee:

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I say that Exo Terra Nano aren't bad enclosures at all, unlike the prior "arboreals" Exo Terra models (i still think that the brand is more into reptiles than T's) however i agree with Storm76.
On a personal note: being a USA citizen i would have go for those amazing side opening acrylic enclosure you guys in U.S have, damn they are the top for arboreals!

But, f-word :mad: for some strange and odd reasons, no one from U.S wanna ship those to me in Italy not even if i pay via PayPal nor using USPS priority mail international. No one, and i usually receive stuff from Mexico shipped by my Arizona contacts with no problems :-(
I doesn't want to ask to my mother's family (USA citizens) to buy one for me and then (re)ship to Italy, i don't like to depend by others.

That's one of the reasons why i ended up with arboreals.. i refuse to use those poor ventilated, guillottine up/down opening, glass cages there's here in Europe.

Acrylic containers are or at least were made in Europe by a T breeder/collector not long ago.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Acrylic containers are or at least were made in Europe by a T breeder/collector not long ago.
I noticed a UK (England) based seller, some time ago, who sold, online, those acrylic enclosures, just that:

1) He never replied to my mails (i do know that my English sucks, but..)
2) The design wasn't even close - talking about the "cool" side - to the U.S made one, except for the same price.
3) Maybe it's better that he/she never answered me.. his/her site was more full of "T's" sort of "jewerly" and stuff like that (plus a lot of non related to T's ADS) rather than aracnids. I'm always a bit skeptic about those type of folks.

Last edited: