Rehouse galore...

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
As mentioned last month, there was some rehousing coming my way:

* C. fimbriatus MM "Ares", out of his enclosure into something smaller
This went, well...considering the species "pretty smoothly". If I leave the slapping, hissing and 6x times he bit the straw out of the ordeal. Kidding aside, yes he was defensive (as suspected), but nowhere as bad as I thought he'd be. He was more interested to run away, which ended in a "happy chase-around" in the bathroom with the occasional stop and threat-posture fangs bare. Captured him after maybe 30sec where he behaved as his name says :D All in all interesting, but easy enough since I knew what was coming my way ;).

* P. cambridgei AF "Moriko", out of her enclosure into the former (big enough) enclosure of "Ares" (newly set up)
Considering she has had a rough time over the past year with first loosing a pedipalp, then molting and regenerating the lost limb but in the process loosing the other...I wanted her out of the huge enclosure also to keep a better eye on her. She's now in a braplast box setup for her needs, with her beloved corkbark-tube. I'm hoping once she settles in, nature runs its course and she gets better with the next molt. As far as rehousing goes, she surprised me by giving me a nice threat-posture and then being stubborn like crazy with no defensiveness whatsoever. Took me 15min to get her out of her enclosure because she played rock and whenever I carefully tried to gently "shove" her into the catchcup she did the 180° and up the wall. All in all very easy transfer, just dealing with a stubborn spider. That, in itself, told me better than anything else that she isn't well currently. That particular girl was always majorly defensive and had no trouble to slap and bite all the time. Here's hope she'll get better soon!

* P. fasciata female "Takhisis", out of her too small enclosure into the one "Moriko" inhabited before
This was probably the easiest part. Despite the fact that this girl is usually hell-on-legs and tries to slap and bite immediately whenever disturbed, today she was extremely mellow and only hid, then played rock. Same thing as with my P. subfusca over a year ago: Had to literally scoop her carefully up with the tongs and place her into the catchcup. Went for the easy way from there by simply putting the catchcup in the new enclosure and gently prodding her out (there's a hole on the bottom of said cup for exactly that purpose) - guess what? She walked calmly out and is now examining her new digs.

Bottom line: Mission successfull! No casualties on either side...and it was exciting getting a chance to interact with some animals again observe their behavior during the transfers.

I don't know why exactly, but I guess considering I did all those transfers about an hour ago (2pm) here, all of the animals involved were (while not cooperating exactly) not behaving badly. Except for "Ares" (who I knew wouldn't go easy haha!) the stubbornness of those girls was rather cute :)

Next stop - probably rehousing my freshly on the last weekend molted P. miranda female.

Oh...and pictures will follow the next weekend I think. :)

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I had a Poecilotheria rufilata (huuuge girl) who was super mellow and "played rock" every time. I ended up buying a cheap metal spoon with a very long, thin handle that I used to pick her up to rehouse her. It's proven to be one of my most useful tools. It's like this: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/bar-spoon but no twists.

You gonna get Ares a girlfriend or is he going to die a virgin?

Also, "Next stop - probably rehousing my freshly on the last weekend molted P. miranda female" is the most German sentence I've ever read.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I had a Poecilotheria rufilata (huuuge girl) who was super mellow and "played rock" every time. I ended up buying a cheap metal spoon with a very long, thin handle that I used to pick her up to rehouse her. It's proven to be one of my most useful tools. It's like this: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/bar-spoon but no twists.

You gonna get Ares a girlfriend or is he going to die a virgin?

Also, "Next stop - probably rehousing my freshly on the last weekend molted P. miranda female" is the most German sentence I've ever read.
I had him paired up with my female "Hera", but the sac went bad. Tried to save ~10 EWLs that didn't have mold on them, one made it to a tiny nymph, but eventually that one died too. As soon as my female is sufficiently fed again, I'll try again. He's still building spermwebs and in the worst case, she'll eat him. In that case his life still had a purpose - nature sucks sometimes.

As for that sentence - now that I read it again I cringe! Bad, bad english. Apologies :(

PS: Pictures will be up in my pic thread in a few, but I'll post a couple here in a bit as well.

---------- Post added 10-13-2015 at 07:23 PM ----------

Here's a few pics (rest in my pic-thread as usual)

"Takhisis", Peocilotheria fasciata, ~6.75" female - rehousing went smooth as can be...here's shes in her digs

"Takhisis", Peocilotheria fasciata, ~6.75" female - which means I can also watch her in her full glory now seing her warning coloration finally in this enclosure!

"Takhisis", Peocilotheria fasciata, ~6.75" female - despite the fact that she's usually a total beast...beautiful!

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Don't apologize for that sentence! I loved it! Your English is far better than my German so I'm in no position to judge, but that sentence structure was so German it made me laugh aloud!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Don't apologize for that sentence! I loved it! Your English is far better than my German so I'm in no position to judge, but that sentence structure was so German it made me laugh aloud!
Yeah, it completely was. I make that mistake at times, structuring the sentences like I'd do in my mothertongue. If I re-read before posting it usually jumps at me, but often I just hit submit and yeah...there you go :D

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Don't edit yourself as much in the future =)
Habit...trained "Foreign Language Secretary English" :D Funny enough, I translate better from Eng to Ger than the other way around...odd? :D

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
No, not odd! I translate better German to English. It's easier for me to get an idea of what is being said in German than to figure out how to phrase what I want to say in English and then convert it into grammatically correct German. Or at least it was. I haven't spoken German in like, 15 years. Yikes. I can still understand what I read, though.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
No, not odd! I translate better German to English. It's easier for me to get an idea of what is being said in German than to figure out how to phrase what I want to say in English and then convert it into grammatically correct German. Or at least it was. I haven't spoken German in like, 15 years. Yikes. I can still understand what I read, though.
Bist Du dir da sicher? :)

Alright that was mean...:D

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Yeah, I'm sure =P. Not mean at all - I kind of expected it tbh. Anyway back on topic, pretty spiders!