Jerusalem Cricket Rear End Pics

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
All appear to be male.

Females possess an ovipositor similar to katydids in the genus scudderia.

They develop the ovipositor well before maturity.

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
Actually, female jerusalem crickets have a tiny ovipositor that looks nothing like the one you find in katydids and other crickets.
Unfortunately, these photos are not good enough to determine sex. To my experience A and D look like juvenile females, and I bet C is a juvenile male, but it is really hard to tell from low-res photos.
The best way to sex them is by searching for small hooks located close to the cerci in adult/subadult males.

Try to get this paper, it contains some photos of said hooks and the mating process:

Weissman, D. B., Judge, K. A., Williams, S. C., Whitman, D. W., & Lee, V. F. (2008). Small-male mating advantage in a species of Jerusalem cricket (Orthoptera: Stenopelmatinae: Stenopelmatus). Journal of Orthoptera Research, 321-332.

Lucanus95

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Actually, female jerusalem crickets have a tiny ovipositor that looks nothing like the one you find in katydids and other crickets.
Unfortunately, these photos are not good enough to determine sex. To my experience A and D look like juvenile females, and I bet C is a juvenile male, but it is really hard to tell from low-res photos.
The best way to sex them is by searching for small hooks located close to the cerci in adult/subadult males.

Try to get this paper, it contains some photos of said hooks and the mating process:

Weissman, D. B., Judge, K. A., Williams, S. C., Whitman, D. W., & Lee, V. F. (2008). Small-male mating advantage in a species of Jerusalem cricket (Orthoptera: Stenopelmatinae: Stenopelmatus). Journal of Orthoptera Research, 321-332.
I second Wizentrop. There appears to be a tiny ovipositor located on the specimens in A and D.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I second Wizentrop. There appears to be a tiny ovipositor located on the specimens in A and D.
Exactly, I'm the one getting them, and I think A and D are females, C is most definitely male, and B could be either. Now I got a shot at breeding them! :D