Escape, feeling guilty

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
About a week ago, I changed out several enclosures due to growing spiders. One of them was a 1/2" dls H. incei, and as you can imagine, it escaped. I used the same type enclosure that I've been using for over a year now, but a manufacturer defect caused a fairly large gap between the lid and the base. I, of course, didn't notice this gap until I went to inspect the cage. This is the same type of enclosure that houses just about everything I own, so I didn't think twice about using it again. If it had only been a day or two, I would have at least a little hope of finding it. However, given the time frame, I very much doubt I'll be seeing this spider again. It could be literally anywhere by now - even outside if it managed to find a window.

I'm thankful that this didn't happen with a more venomous spider, as I do have a small dog in the house, but I can't shake that feeling of guilt. In all likelihood, the spider is going to die from dehydration fairly quickly, and it's escape was due to me not being thorough in checking the enclosure. Needless to say, I have double and triple checked every enclosure that I am currently using, and I'm certain this was caused by the manufacturer's defect.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yes, i understand that you feel guilty about that, man. That sucks, indeed. Hate to say this but probably the spider is already dead or guess what.
Holothele incei are masters of escapes, however. All of those little dwarf punks are.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Aw, I'm sorry! Don't feel guilty. These things happen!! You just gotta up your game and double/triple check every time you open an enclosure for any reason. If it makes you feel any better about six months ago my E. pachypus got out of her enclosure because my husband left it open on accident after giving her water. She was missing for about two months before I found her. Sadly she had passed away when I did finally locate her. It was very tragic and also scary because she was 3 1/2 inches and, being a baboon, I was extremely worried about the well-being of my cats and my bunny rabbit. She was one of the sweetest girls I've had in my collection ever. And both my husband and I felt like total crap knowing that she had suffered the loss of her life due to our negligence. But escapes do happen. I Think if you keep tarantulas long enough one will get out for some reason or another. It has made us more hyper vigilant and we have not had an escape sense because we always double check every time we feed and water. You may find your H. incei - don't give up hope! Let us know if you do! Xo

--J.Haas

rockpython

Arachnopeon
Yeah, don't be too hard on yourself. It happens, I had a C. schioedtei sling bolt because I was lax and not working in the bathtub during a transfer. As long as we learn from our mistakes, it's at least a partial win

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
Read a little story about a p.ornata that escaped. Missing for months and presumed dead, whilst shirting their attic they found him rather plump and very much alive. So, whilst unlikely, ya never know. The lil guy may well survive for some time, maybe even long enough to find it again. It happens and you shouldn't feel guilty about it although I understand why you do.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'd like to say thanks for the supportive replies to this thread - they legitimately did make me feel quite a bit better. Luckily, I'm able to return with some good news. This tiny spider managed to make its way across a 1300 square foot house into a room on the far opposite corner from my T room. I just happened by it after getting home from work and going to the bathroom. I find it extremely impressive that it covered that much distance in such a short time.

After cannibalizing its two siblings and escaping from its prison, I believe this T has earned the name Hannibal.

20151024_205649 (1).jpg

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Everyone makes mistakes as they go thru this. The important thing is to learn from them.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Everyone makes mistakes as they go thru this. The important thing is to learn from them.
Absolutely. I still stand by these enclosures, and ensuring that there are no gaps will actually be a fairly simply DIY project. Like I said before, I had been using these for years, so it never occurred to me to actually check the gaps. Lesson learned, I won't fall into complacency again.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh hell yeah!!! I'm so pleasantly surprised u found the little bugger! Congrats!!

--J.Haas

Chris11

ArachnoBat
Niiiice! i lost an H. villosella for 5 weeks one time... knowing theyre amazing creatures i blocked every gap in the room i could think of and let some crickets roam free and put a water bowl out... came in one night and the little guy was drinking the water! It was more plump than before i lost it!

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Not surprised, as you have a room designated for your T's, glad you found the wee fella, and what a fitting name.

Lunitar

Arachnoslacker
I am glad everything worked out. I know that horrible sinking feeling you get when something goes wrong. You have your spider back and the knowledge to never have it happen again due to this problem. That is a pretty big win. :cigar:

PS, I had a simmilar problem with one of the 6 liter rubs and was able to fix it with a little trimming and a heat gun. Just apply hot air until it becomes noticeably more transparent and make your adjustments.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Check the dates, guys
Really doesn't matter.its relevant to T keeping,and info for newer members,who may not have read through older,but important posts.
If it's teaching a point,then no post is outdated.;)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Not surprised, as you have a room designated for your T's, glad you found the wee fella, and what a fitting name.
Well, I didn't have a T room almost two years ago ;) Back then, my "T room" was also my server room. I was worried the spider crawled into one of the many computers.

Side note. This little girl is all grown up now and recovering from a molt before she'll mate with @cold blood's male.

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
Well, I didn't have a T room almost two years ago ;) Back then, my "T room" was also my server room. I was worried the spider crawled into one of the many computers.

Side note. This little girl is all grown up now and recovering from a molt before she'll mate with @cold blood's male.
I know this thread is dated but I'm curious if this defective enclosure was a RUB?

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
So,they redesigned them?.I got a couple late last year,but never used them.do the newer ones eliminate the gaps at the top of the base and lid?
I thought perfect enclosure until I saw that.havent looked into to them since.