Just what we need more pokie id's

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is one from a few months ago, was told to check back when it gained a little size, it did so I just snapped a couple PICS a second ago so here I am. The first two are a PIC. Of what was sold as a miranda (and no I did not pay miranda price), I am thinking it may be a striata now. The next two are of what was sold as a fasciata and pretty much think that is what it is, the place I got them from is not very knowledgeable in inverts as they are mainly a reptile dealer. The last PIC I just thought was pretty cool so I threw it in here. Thanks, Greg

RichardDegville

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In the first ventral view photograph it looks like a white band is starting to form on the abdomen this is a characteristic of regalis looking at the carapace markings this also indicates one of three possible specimines formosa, regalis. striata

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Your first one is definetly striata and your you wright about your second one being fasciata!

RichardDegville

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
id go with brendan on the last 2 photos looking at the carapace markings its
fasciata {D

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
TobusRex said:
Excellent pics Bearskin! What kind of camera are you using?
Thanks, It is a Nikon coolpix 5000, I would be dangerous if I ever took the time to learn how to really use the thing, I always seem to take pics at night when the lighting is very bad.

Here are a couple more pics of the first pokie as it is the one I really would like to figure out what it is. First pic is a more open shot of it underside and the second is one more top shot and the last is just another fun throw in shot.

[/QUOTE=RichardDegville]In the first ventral view photograph it looks like a white band is starting to form on the abdomen this is a characteristic of regalis
If I am not mistaken srtiatas also get the white band? Or is it just me hoping it is a striata as I have a nice big female waiting for him.

Thanks all for the replies, Greg

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
P. striata does have a faint band like P. regalis, but this is only present as a juvenile. P. regalis develop the band as a juvenile, and keep it throughout adulthood.

Looking at the ventral shot above, I'd say P. regalis. It's pretty difficult to tell apart the two species, but the black banding on the femur of leg I doesn't look thick enough to be P. striata. The black band in the femur of leg IV also looks too thin, and more like that of P. regalis.

With the P. fasciata, I can't tell if legs I and II are white or not due to the glare of the flash. If they're white, it looks like a P. formosa. If they're yellow, I'd agree with P. fasciata. A good ventral shot of this spider would settle it though - The defining marking of P. fasciata is on the femur of leg IV.

Last edited:

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'd agree that the first couple of pics look like you have a Poecilotheria regalis. Those pics are kinda hard to go by though. A clean shot of the entire underside would work better. Good close ups of the ventral aspect of legs IV would help a lot to differentiate it from Poecilotheria striata.
The second set looks to be more like a specimen of Poecilotheria pederseni. Poec. fasciata can be picked out from others in the genus, because they have the least amount of black in their caution banding. Again, just like Lostkat, I don't know if the flash washed out the yellow, but even then, the black band in that specimen seems to be too thick to be Poecilotheria fasciata. To be sure, let's have a nice look at the ventral aspect of legs IV.
john

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The markings on the second one are yellow but for whatever reason I cannot get a good clear shot ventral shot on that one. They either come out looking cream or yellow and very blurred? You guy are not supposed to tell me regalis :mad: on the first one, even though that is kind of what I was thinking, with my female striata just waitin for a male to come along I think I was kinda hopin for a striata. Greg

RichardDegville

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry mate its the band that gives it away on the first photos on the second is more than likely fasciata but could be on closer examination ornata,smithi, or penderseni as they all share the same carapace markings

Adult female Poecilotheria fasciata

Goofy

Arachnopeon
Great photos Bearskin10 ;) Could you share this photos for my polish site about T's?? There will be a signature with your nick or/and mail if you want.

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Goofy said:
Great photos Bearskin10 ;) Could you share this photos for my polish site about T's?? There will be a signature with your nick or/and mail if you want.
No problem, give me a PM and let me know what photo you would like to use, I have a pretty good collection of pics so let me know what you want and I will see what I have or what I can do about getting it. Greg