My new Amblypygids :)

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is one of my Heterophrynus batesii nymphs, which I just received a few days ago. Native to the Amazon, the forelegs (longer than the others, structured and functioning much like antennae) can reach about a two-foot span, so in terms of legspan these are the world's largest arachnids.

Right now these babies look like daddy-longlegs from some alien world, the body length is about 3/8-inch but the "antennae" already span nearly three inches. I wish they stayed this cute as they get big!

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Very nice! I love those close-up shots of the face (or whatever you call it in arachnids :) )

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
extremly amazing pictures. If I would have this camera, I would never use a microscop again ;)

Kymura

Arachnoknight
Once i'm more comfortable as a keeper I want very much to venture into these ^^

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So cool! Enjoy! Hoping to get one of those in the near(ish) future :)
Thank you pannaking, yeah they're extremely cool!

Very nice! I love those close-up shots of the face (or whatever you call it in arachnids :) )
Thanks a lot schmiggle! Those were very lucky shots. ;)

extremly amazing pictures. If I would have this camera, I would never use a microscop again ;)
Thanks Banshee! I'm still constantly amazed by what the macro lens reveals! :)

Once i'm more comfortable as a keeper I want very much to venture into these ^^
I've only had them for about a week, but so far don't seem too difficult. Humidity must be very high for these, and (unlike conditions Avics require for instance) low ventilation. This makes mold and mites of greater concern than usual.

Here are a couple more photos, closer to what may be considered specimen shots ...

Last edited:

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I bet that last one is about to molt, unless it just ate when you took the shot. Those colors never fail to amaze.

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I bet that last one is about to molt, unless it just ate when you took the shot. Those colors never fail to amaze.
Yeah these are so pretty, I wish the colors would stay!

Well, it's eating another cricket right now so it's probably not molting time just yet. Actually I'm delighted to see them eating ... they were quite thin when I got them, and then refused food for about the first three days by which time they really looked emaciated. I was pretty worried!

kurgara galatur

Arachnopeon
Love the photos! My eyesight isn't what it used to be, and it's great to see what they look like up close. I received a few recently and was so gobsmacked by their _Nightmare Before Christmas_ weirdness I ordered a couple more that should arrive today.
Also, if you are taken by their fleeting colors, Phrynus decoratus might be a future acquisition.
Question: Are you housing them communally? I sit and watch mine whenever I can, and am frankly hypnotized by them, although they seem less active than baby D. diademas. The diademas I have seem fine living together for now, but I wonder if I should house the batesii separately.
Papilo, you've got great taste in inverts.
Kurg

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Love the photos! My eyesight isn't what it used to be, and it's great to see what they look like up close. I received a few recently and was so gobsmacked by their _Nightmare Before Christmas_ weirdness I ordered a couple more that should arrive today.
Also, if you are taken by their fleeting colors, Phrynus decoratus might be a future acquisition.
Question: Are you housing them communally? I sit and watch mine whenever I can, and am frankly hypnotized by them, although they seem less active than baby D. diademas. The diademas I have seem fine living together for now, but I wonder if I should house the batesii separately.
Kurg
H. batesii should be kept separately I think since they're a much more aggressive species. I don't really think cannibalism would be too much an issue overall (and E and A or whoever else keeps these, please correct me if I'm wrong), but they could stress each other out or disturb each other while molting or one could outcompete the other(s) for food.

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kurg
Thanks so much kurgara! :D I was lucky to get shots like the close-ups above, they show the weirdness wonderfully I think.

A good friend of mine had a great visit with Orin and brought a couple of nymphs home with him, just a few days before I received mine. Though these are known to be communal typically, he kept his together and lost both (at least one of which did appear to be a victim of cannibalism by his account). So I'm housing mine separately, currently in an acrylic duplex. My guess is that it may be a case much like Ts which are believed to be communal ... they do well if left together after being born. But once taken out of their territory, very often all bets are off.

H. batesii should be kept separately I think since they're a much more aggressive species. I don't really think cannibalism would be too much an issue overall (and E and A or whoever else keeps these, please correct me if I'm wrong), but they could stress each other out or disturb each other while molting or one could outcompete the other(s) for food.
Yes pannaking, as noted above I've decided to go the safer route. Both are doing great so far. :)

schmiggle

Arachnoking
In the following thread, cannibalism is discussed in a bit of depth:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...blypygids&highlight=heterophrynus+cannibalism
In the wild, H. batesiilive in groups of 2-8, according to the following paper (and others):
http://www.kennychapin.com/pdf/Chapin 2014.pdf
This is not to say you shouldn't keep them separately; I just figured I'd share all the information I've seen. I have no personal experience with keeping them together.
Hopefully this is not an inundation of unnecessary info...

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not unnecessary in any way schmiggle, thank you for the references! Just finished reading both the thread and the paper, fascinating! I'm completely new to Amblypigids and am finding them an unexpected and surprisingly enjoyable new type of invert for me.

As such I don't feel that I have much of a right to even have an opinion on the communal living issue. I can only relate what I know about Ts, which may or may not be relevant. But here we find that conditions and behavior in captivity don't always mirror what is known of their lives in the wild, and territorial issues can be significant and complex ... the disruption of which can often bring on unexpected incidents of cannibalism.

Anyway thanks again for taking the time to share the links, most enjoyable reading! :)

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I always keep them together for the first three to four molts and have never seen cannibalism in the early instars. Once they lose juvenile coloration it gets riskier.

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I always keep them together for the first three to four molts and have never seen cannibalism in the early instars. Once they lose juvenile coloration it gets riskier.
Thanks very much! Is there an advantage to keeping them together up till that point?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
That's really interesting! I wonder why they grow better...maybe some sort of pheromone? Total guessing, obviously, on my part.

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Incredible pictures!! I am trying to venture into macro photography and when I see pictures like this, it makes me so excited LOL. What kind of lighting do you use for shots like these? Also, do you stack photos?