Mold

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Recently I've noticed some mold in the enclosure housing my Avicularia versicolor. The sling is refusing food and I think it is about to molt. Should I transport the sling into a new enclosure or wait until after it molts?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
How much mold? Just a little that could be ignored and let dry out? Enough mold that it might be spooned out easily? Or like taken over most of enclosure?
Is there enough ventilation for your avic sling?
Rehousing is stressful, but if the mould is all encompassing I suppose the sling could 'deal' with a rehousing. (Actually, if ventilation is lacking -- as sounds the case -- a rehousing might be best course).

I keep my avics dry except for a water dish for humidity, so honestly, not familiar with this issue. Yes, even little avic slings are kept dry except for water dish.

Best of luck to your little guy!

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
The mold isn't too extreme but there is some inside of the substrate. The enclosure has good cross ventilation. I tried to keep the substrate dry but over time it overflows and soaks into the substrate.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Got it. Tough decision. You want it to dry out enough to kill off mould at the very same time you need it humid enough for a successful moult. I am guessing removing the mould might destroy a lot of webbing or cause more harm than good?
Often, esp if mould is at the bottom -- it won't bother avic anyway (especially it it's just a little mould).
Tough decision to make -- hope someone else pipes in with their suggestions and advice.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If your T isn't on its back, I'd remove the mold by spooning it out. I've run into this situation, including impending molt, they have no problem w/this removal.

As for increased humidity gives better molts, I can't recall, so I could be wrong here, but generally I thought that wasn't true GENERALLY speaking. If it is true, my Avics sure have no problem molting! I recall people discussing that in a thread, and I could have sworn the consensus was that was a myth.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
As for increased humidity gives better molts, I can't recall, so I could be wrong here, but generally I thought that wasn't true GENERALLY speaking. If it is true, my Avics sure have no problem molting! I recall people discussing that in a thread, and I could have sworn the consensus was that was a myth.
I dunno, but especially for slings (even avic slings), I always like to increase humidity a bit at moult time. My avic slings always have a water bowl but I usually also dampen some sphagnum moss for them if a moult is due. I keep substrate dry for avics, young and old. Adding the humidity for avic slings may not be helping at all! My fear is killing an avic sling with a stuffy non-well-ventilated enclosure, so I tend to be a bit stingier with moisture for my avics.

(I have 2 avics -- one I raised from a sling and one currently still a sling -- I say 'my avics' as if I have hundreds lol).

Chris11

ArachnoBat
To combat the "always wet underneath the water dish" situation i just move it each time i refill or clean it.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
The sling molted last night. How long should I wait until moving it into a larger, cleaner enclosure?

Chris11

ArachnoBat
It depends on how big the sling is now, but DEFINITELY wait until it fully hardened and the fangs are black and its had a meal