White scorpions for themed terrarium.

magneto

Arachnoknight
Does anyone know of any white or white-ish scorpion species thats not too advanced to keep? Preferably a desert dweller and preferably not too small. And if it's out on the surface once in a while, that would be great. Also, if it's easy to come by in Europe that's would be a bonus too as overseas shipping is a risk.

The reason for me being this specific is that I had a bit of a silly idea a while ago that stuck with me. I thought it would be fun to try to build a themed terrarium. The theme I had in mind is the Fallout games. Complete with a vault-cave, irradiated barrels and a vault-boy bubblehead. And because miniature deathclaws are hard to come by, I thought I would try a fearsome radscorpion instead. :p

If anyone has any suggestions for other fallout themed items to put in there please share. All items except the bubblehead will be cut out of Styrofoam so they can't be to complex to make.

Or if you have a good reason why this whole thing is a terrible idea, please share your reasons so I can avoid making a bad habitat for the scorpion.

PS: If you don't know what Fallout is you are probably very confused right now. :p

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
There are no white species i can think of.

Smeringurus mesaensis can be very pale, not dangeorusly venomous, and very active. various paruroctonus species are also highly active.

A few paravaejovis (formerly vaejovis) species are pallid as well, like P waeringi, though all of these are north american species, and might not be easy to find in your area.

magneto

Arachnoknight
There are no white species i can think of.

Smeringurus mesaensis can be very pale, not dangeorusly venomous, and very active. various paruroctonus species are also highly active.

A few paravaejovis (formerly vaejovis) species are pallid as well, like P waeringi, though all of these are north american species, and might not be easy to find in your area.
Thanks. Those look perfect. An online store here have a few of those in stock too. :)

Ripa

Arachnobaron
I was going to suggest putting in some plastic weapons, especially something like a mini-gun or missile launcher, in there to amp up the war-torn theme, but you'd have to spend a bit more $, of course. It's up to you. :D

magneto

Arachnoknight
I was going to suggest putting in some plastic weapons, especially something like a mini-gun or missile launcher, in there to amp up the war-torn theme, but you'd have to spend a bit more $, of course. It's up to you. :D
I might just do that if I can find some. What I really need is a 3D-printer. With one of those I could make complex decorations I can only dream of now. :D

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah ah great idea man. I don't know much about scorpions ID for help (only owned loooong way back two) nor if that set up would be ok (but i assume yes, no problems) but what i know for sure is: Germany.

Germany is the place to look for those in Europe :coffee:

Have to buy 4 for XBOX ONE btw

magneto

Arachnoknight
Ah ah great idea man. I don't know much about scorpions ID for help (only owned loooong way back two) nor if that set up would be ok (but i assume yes, no problems) but what i know for sure is: Germany.

Germany is the place to look for those in Europe :coffee:

Have to buy 4 for XBOX ONE btw
You should really get it. It's a great game. Do you know of any spesific stores/persons in Germany that sells them. An online store would be the best. Please PM me some store names if you have them.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
First let me start off by saying Fallout games are awesome ! Secondly, try a Hadrurus arizonensis pallidus. They are good sized and fairly pale. Third, aren't the rad scorpions in fallout 4 red ??

magneto

Arachnoknight
First let me start off by saying Fallout games are awesome ! Secondly, try a Hadrurus arizonensis pallidus. They are good sized and fairly pale. Third, aren't the rad scorpions in fallout 4 red ??
1. Yes they certainly are :D
2. Thats actually the one I have decided to get.
3. In 4, yes, but they are white or pale grey in 3 and Vegas.

Ripa

Arachnobaron
1. Yes they certainly are :D
2. Thats actually the one I have decided to get.
3. In 4, yes, but they are white or pale grey in 3 and Vegas.
You could always go for the quintessential rad scorpion look, which is black/ grey, as they are essentially mutated emperor scorpions (confirmed in the lore). Only the albino radscorpions are white (ironically, it is genetically and biologically impossible for arthropods to be albino).

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Yes but there are also albino and radioactive green ones so this still makes sense. I normally don't care for themed tanks but I'm actually pretty interested to see how this turns out.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
You could always go for the quintessential rad scorpion look, which is black/ grey, as they are essentially mutated emperor scorpions (confirmed in the lore). Only the albino radscorpions are white (ironically, it is genetically and biologically impossible for arthropods to be albino).
There are albino millepedes in the hobby, specifically albino Narceus americanus. They are true albinos.

Ripa

Arachnobaron
There are albino millepedes in the hobby, specifically albino Narceus americanus. They are true albinos.
It's not albinism because melanin is not the component in the exoskeleton that gives arthropods pigment. It's present in arthropods in the respect that it helps protect the animals against foreign bodies. Albinism is literally translated to lack of melanin.
It goes to show how convergent evolution works in the animal kingdom. Dark pigments of one lineage did not diverge from dark pigments of another lineage. Same with insect wings and bird wings and so on so forth.

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
I hope you plan on posting pictures of said enclosure after you make it. I want to make a naturalistic enclosure soon and i'm currently looking into what plants can thrive and how to do this exactly and it's a lot of work haha.

magneto

Arachnoknight
Pictures of the result will be posted, but it might be a little while until I start this project. I got a bit sidetracked by my new 250 gallon aquarium. :biggrin:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Pictures of the result will be posted, but it might be a little while until I start this project. I got a bit sidetracked by my new 250 gallon aquarium. :biggrin:
250 gallon Emperor scorpion colony ?????? :)

That would be impressive haha.

Definitely post pictures when it's done.