2 different slings, 2 different molts in the water dish

SpiderDad61

Arachnoknight
It's so funny watching the slings drag their molt in the water dishes.
This one opened up its burrow, drug the molt out backwards then put it in the dish, spun around, then
right back in the burrow, as to say " I'm done with it...now it's your problem", lol

sezra

Arachnosquire
It's so funny watching the slings drag their molt in the water dishes.
This one opened up its burrow, drug the molt out backwards then put it in the dish, spun around, then
right back in the burrow, as to say " I'm done with it...now it's your problem", lol
Youre lucky they take it out of their burrows. all my T's are slobs and hoard their molts. its always a battle to retrieve them

Chris11

ArachnoBat
That is funny! Ill pluck them out if theyre easy but if theyre underground or encased with web i dont bother. I feel if the spider didnt want them there theyd put it in an easy to retrieve place and some of mine seem to use them as web anchors.

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
My p. Cambridgei juvi molted some 3 weeks ago and still hasn't given it up...nor has my month molted h. Colombia sling...lol.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
Ah ah, years ago had a juvenile Psalmopoeus cambridgei that started a "fight" against her molt.
The vast majority of my collection have a fondness for shredding their exuvia into tiny pieces shortly after moulting. My P. cambridgei juvies seem to prefer integrating them into their dirt curtains and the walls of their burrows.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
My P. irminia would always tear his up and incorporate it into the webbing. That species doesn't have urticating hairs, so the best I can imagine is that it was just trying to show off.

Radium

Outlaw Valkyrie
My P. irminia would always tear his up and incorporate it into the webbing. That species doesn't have urticating hairs, so the best I can imagine is that it was just trying to show off.
I've read about OBTs working whole molts into their webbing. Seems like a wise defensive tactic to me - if one OBT is a formidable opponent in nature, two OBTs is your signal to find dinner elsewhere.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I've read about OBTs working whole molts into their webbing. Seems like a wise defensive tactic to me - if one OBT is a formidable opponent in nature, two OBTs is your signal to find dinner elsewhere.
Correct. My female loves to cover with web her molt... last time i removed the molt was a sort of Tutankhamon 'OBT'

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's really awesome!

My B vagans/Lp usually bring out their molts from their burrows, while my P muticus/H lividum usually pack theirs up against the deepest walls of their tunnel systems.