Pretty sure I found a steal

hdbill883

Arachnopeon
I don't usually post at all, more of a lurker.

On Sunday I went to a local pet store just to see if they had anything interesting. What do I find? Well to my dismay, the store is closing. I'm kind of disappointed about that because they always had at least an interesting assortment of reptiles and other assorted critters(t's now and then).

But.... store closing means 50% off livestock.

I wandered into their reptile/invert room and tucked away in a corner was a heavily webbed 18x18x24 exo tera.

I looked at the label and it said 'Goliath birdeater, female. 79.99'.

After some looking I saw some legs under the cork bark, couldn't see what species it actually was but i decided what the heck. 50% off and it looked to be of good size.

I wandered up to the register to tell the girl I needed someone to get the spider for me and she went pale. Apparently, their 'reptile guy' bailed on them as soon as the store closing announcement came out.

She looked super nervous and then asked me if I minded getting the spider for myself. I was more than happy as I'd rather someone inexperienced not be mucking around with my new T(potential injuries anyone?)

I found a box(their deli containers were far too small for the spider from what I could see of it) and went to work finding out what I'm actually buying. Is it a stirmi? Is it a blondi?

Nope, neither.

Pulled out her corkbark and there sat a BEAUTIFUL S. rubronitens

She is about 5" or so.

She was not the happiest of campers at the store as she went into a flicking frenzy while I was getting her out of her enclosure but she settled down quickly.

Just wanted to share my find.

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
Nice find! What petstore was it? I am from PA as well, although its a decent sized state

hdbill883

Arachnopeon
Nice find! What petstore was it? I am from PA as well, although its a decent sized state
AZ pet and pond in Reading

Pretty T -- I can't tell those apart from B vagans.
They do look similar coloration wise.

As a side note, this gal is a fairly heavy webber(i'm actually pretty sure she's a wizard the way she ran some of her webs the first night. She doesn't throw threat poses or defensive poses like my OW's but holy flicker does she flick.

When I was capturing her at the store, she was flicking at a rate comparable to a teenage boy with a thousand dollars in ones that wandered into a gentleman's club by accident.

SpiderDad61

Arachnoknight
Very nice buy!!!!! It's beautiful. Should have said, I'll buy it, but I'm taking the eto terra too. Lol.
I've been there before. Didn't kno they were closing. Good luck!

hdbill883

Arachnopeon
Very nice buy!!!!! It's beautiful. Should have said, I'll buy it, but I'm taking the eto terra too. Lol.
I've been there before. Didn't kno they were closing. Good luck!
I didn't know they were closing either.

Jan 1st they shut their doors.

Fishroom is empty, I grabbed their last 2 spiders(grabbed a g. rosea too since 50% off livestock and can never have too many spiders), and they have a few misc snakes left.

Hardgoods are currently 30% off if you are looking for exos.

As do a number of other species. Sericopelma are leggier than the others. How are you telling them apart?
She is VERY leggy. After some digging(I've only ever seen 1 other rubronitens in person) and pic comparison S rubronitens was the best match.

As I have never kept any sericopelma, I can certainly get some more photos of her if you are more versed in them.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
She is VERY leggy. After some digging(I've only ever seen 1 other rubronitens in person) and pic comparison S rubronitens was the best match.

As I have never kept any sericopelma, I can certainly get some more photos of her if you are more versed in them.

The one in your pic isn't overly leggy. I have some juvenile and sling rubronitens, and used to have a 7" adult female years ago, which was leggy. I'd get some confirmation on yours before considering the ID definite.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Well according to Ausserer they have long scapula on their feet and have some white hairs:

Length 45mm. Carapace 1 9x 1 7 mm wide. Legs, 4,1,2,3. Scapula on all tarsi, heavy and complete except on leg4,where it is bisected longitudinally by a narrow line of black bristles. First and second metatarsi scopulate to base, third and fourth without scapulae.
Colour: Basic colour coffee-brown,the abdomen and carapace clothed with thick grey and white woolly hair, long dark hairs are also present. Abdomen, hairs grey towards the ends. Underside, has distinct, white woolly hairs.

Granted I'm not too familiar with the genus as I've only started keeping them recently but yours doesn't seem to have the standard build of the genus.