White patch on African baboon (pterinochilus vorax)

scotland

Arachnopeon
Can any one make light of this...

My p.vorax has a white patch on the abdomen... It's shrivelled slightly isn't due to dehydration. It's spinnerets/ back of the abdomen also are drupping downwards it is wild caught just
Wondering if anyone has seen or heard of this before image.jpg

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Might be a fungus. Does it look at all wet? That would indicate bacterial infection, but if it is crusty or scaly or fluffy like cotton it might be a fungal infection. The picture resolution is not good enough for me to see.

scotland

Arachnopeon
I would say like Cotten wool small batch on him but all in all just doesn't look like a healthy spider his spinners work Im seeing that as we speak

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Yeah, cotton wool appearance generally means a fungus. The new pics are better but i still can't really say for sure. I have had some success treating fungal problems with gentian violet, but boy is it unpleasant to do. Use a paintbrush and just paint the nasty bits. Keep the spider as dry as possible and hope for the best next time it molts.

scotland

Arachnopeon
1% solution enough? Hope it's not near the book lungs I will need to have a look maybe get him a clear deli cup he's sluggish also put cotton wool ball in soaked but substrate is bone dry for him/her

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Yeah, 1% is what I used. Alcohol will take it off nonporous surfaces if you spill it, but seriously, lay down some newspaper or something. Just give him a little dish instead of the cotton ball. Good luck - that's not a species I'd want to have to paint. Maybe once he's in the deli just poke the paint brush through a hole or something. Don't use a Q-tip. It won't get the GV on the affected area.

scotland

Arachnopeon
Yeah you've hit nail on the head I'm sure there's a slight smell from him :( when I placed him in deli cup. The cotton ball will be taken out in 24 hours or less so not keeping in permanently. Tbh I don't think he would bother he's not clinging onto cup that great he's not really responsive a great deal (not the way they are meant to be!...) he's moving spinning but again just a poor spider. You had great success with this soultion or is it really a 50/50 chance?...

---------- Post added 11-24-2015 at 10:02 PM ----------

Just placed him in enclosure with deli cup opened so he can come and go substrate is dry enough and I'll need to get on it ASAP with the soultion is there any other things out there that can help haven't came across white patch like this before not had that problem before

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
It was not a 100% success for me, but it has saved a few spiders. I think the TKG says that some people used athlete's foot treatments too, but that scares me a little, personally. Give me a minute and I can look that up. Sorry your spider is poorly. I'd leave him be as much as possible and just keep him dry with access to a dish until you can paint him. My sick ones generally would take pre killed prey but weren't feeling up to taking it down themselves.

---------- Post added 11-24-2015 at 06:18 PM ----------

K, the TKG suggests Nystatin. Disregard what I said before!

scotland

Arachnopeon
Sorry excuse my ignorance what is tkg? And yeah so g.violet and nystatin?

---------- Post added 11-24-2015 at 11:25 PM ----------

Yeah it's not good in wild he would be dead I'm sure but can smell it off him so hard to say how bad it is. So yeah paper and dish for him sounds like the plan high hopes he can pull through. How
Long did your treatment go on for?.. Until you seen results was it before or after a molt?

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I had/have a different fungus. There are many different kinds. Some of mine have molted out and recovered, some died prior to molting and one died in the process of molting. The whole thing has been really unpleasant. I believe only one application is necessary for the GV. I did two because I didn't think I had gotten everything covered the first time. Paint brushes did well, though. Just be prepared for a purple spider. The fluffy part should disappear soon after treatment, but the wound won't heal until the spider molts.

The TKG is the Tarantula Keeper's Guide, a book by Stan and Marguerite Schultz. It's a little out-of-date, but still the best book about the captive care of tarantulas currently on the market to my knowledge. Nystatin is supposed to be the most effective, but harder to find than Gentian Violet.

scotland

Arachnopeon
Yeah ok yeah I know the book. Listen great help was something I only came across when I unpacked him hopefully he can get through it he's juvi/sub adult so hopefully molt won't be too far if can pull him through it good it's on back end have two females and seen the back end dips down at back so it's just a case of a small patch of infection for him i say