Augacephalus breyeri

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For now this is the best I can do for a photo. Too cold outside to take a photo. It's about 3" inches right now. The last time I owned one of this species was back of early 2000, purchased the adult female through John Hoke. I will be taking photos of it after each molt. I think she's female but not quite sure, ventral sexing baboons can be a bit tricky. I could be wrong on the sex for now until I get conformation with a molt or if it matures to a male.

Augacephalus breyeri

Last edited:

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
There's one in the classifieds that I have my eye on. Gorgeous spider.

cold blood

Staff member
Males mature really small, I'd bet that they generally mature at a smaller size than yours. My other Augecaphelus matured at maybe 2"...they were ezendami though, but I know the genus is known for tiny males.

Cool spider Jose, thanks for sharing....love those Auggie carapaces.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm surprised that only a couple of people posted on this thread.
First I like to start out by saying that when I purchased this spider from Joe Rossi he had it for sale as unsexed. I decided to go ahead and purchased it as unsexed and took a gamble of hoping that it would turn out to be female. Once I received it I examined it and after examine it for a couple of hours ventrally I confirmed it as female. Yes I know you can't always sex a spider ventrally blah! blah! blah! So I've heard many times. I'll admit it's hard and it's tricky specially with old world tarantulas. Well I'm the type of person that will push myself to the limit of how accurate I could be and I was right.
This is her a few minutes ago she finally molted for me and is 100 percent female, her spermathecae is tiny still so I won't bother taken a photo of it yet until is bigger maybe next molt.
I'm very exited cause she will be my second female in more than a decade since I owned one of this species. I gotta tell you guys you need to purchase some of this beauties when available cause they are worth the investment. I can't wait until her next molt to show off her spermathecae. Here are a couple of photos of her she molted hours ago. Thanks Joe for a species that I've been waiting for years to own once again.

Augacephalus breyeri - Female

Last edited:

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
I'm surprised that only a couple of people posted on this thread.
First I like to start out by saying that when I purchased this spider from Joe Rossi he had it for sale as unsexed. I decided to go ahead and purchased it as unsexed and took a gamble of hoping that it would turn out to be female. Once I received it I examined it and after examine it for a couple of hours ventrally I confirmed it as female. Yes I know you can't always sex a spider ventrally blah! blah! blah! So I've heard many times. I'll admit it's hard and it's tricky specially with old world tarantulas. Well I'm the type of person that will push myself to the limit of how accurate I could be and I was right.
This is her a few minutes ago she finally molted for me and is 100 percent female, her spermathecae is tiny still so I won't bother taken a photo of it yet until is bigger maybe next molt.
I'm very exited cause she will be my second female in more than a decade since I owned one of this species. I gotta tell you guys you need to purchase some of this beauties when available cause they are worth the investment. I can't wait until her next molt to show off her spermathecae. Here are a couple of photos of her she molted hours ago. Thanks Joe for a species that I've been waiting for years to own once again.

Augacephalus breyeri - Female

Very happy it turned out female for you and can't wait to see you breed her when the time comes. I am hopefull you breed her and get many offspring as she is a beauty :D

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wanted to point out the fact that the Augacephalus breyeri was sold as unsexed by you and that this A. breyeri that was sold as unsexed is actually female. As we know through past history with certain vendors, dealers, or private collectors have sold unsexed species which this people knew that their specimens were in fact males.
As you pointed out to me that you couldn't get a clean molt because it was always destroyed and that's why it was sold as unsexed.
Baboon spiders as well Poecilotheria species can be very hard to get a clean molt from them so I completely understand your point of view.

Yeah I'm hoping to get a male someday but I won't be looking any time soon. I want to be positive that I get a male that is far from being related to this female. After seeing the hobby form of the Brachypelma albopilosum vs wild caught specimens I want to keep any future breeding pure as possible.

-=}GA']['OR{=-

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is another great species, I had a female around the same time in 2000. They are imo the best looking of the Augacephalus. The orange fringe that develops on their legs as they mature makes them stand out. They are fairly docile as well. Nice buy, I wish I still had mine.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is another great species, I had a female around the same time in 2000. They are imo the best looking of the Augacephalus. The orange fringe that develops on their legs as they mature makes them stand out. They are fairly docile as well. Nice buy, I wish I still had mine.
My only one time single adult wild caught female I purchased through e-spiderworld (John Hoke) do you remember who you purchased from?

-=}GA']['OR{=-

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got her in trade from a local guy. I believe she was originally from Gearheart's stock.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She molted again a day ago. Finally got a good molt to determine sex. And I suspected when I first started this thread she is a female. I didn't do to bad for ventral sexing.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm using vermiculite for her.
I see. I use vermiculite as well (only for few of my T's) as a help for mantain humidity (mixing a bit of that in the substrate) but I use the fine grain, pulverized only one. Basically looks like a sort of... sand. You use the "biggest" one, I wasn't able to figure out that's why I asked. Thanks man.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I see. I use vermiculite as well (only for few of my T's) as a help for mantain humidity (mixing a bit of that in the substrate) but I use the fine grain, pulverized only one. Basically looks like a sort of... sand. You use the "biggest" one, I wasn't able to figure out that's why I asked. Thanks man.
I use both the fine grain and the thicker vermiculite. Depends where I shop the fine grain I can pick up at Home Depot. The thicker substrate of vermiculite I get it through my work. Either way both are expensive.