Help! Latin name for Vietnamese Birdeater?

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Hello all!!! I am new to this site, and I am glad I found it! It looks very informative, and there is no one else in this area of VA that enjoys Tarantulas the way I do. And I stumbled on this site through Google ;)

Anyway, I was delivering some pinktoes to the local pet store yesterday, when the owner asked me if I could get any Vietnamese Birdeaters. I thought a minute, and couldn't think of an answer. Is that just another name for the T. Blondi??? I couldn't find any info on one, and when I did, it was
cross-referenced it w/ the Goliath Birdeater.

I just want to be able to give him the correct information, and to know what I am talking about as well, :)

If anyone can help me out here, it would be great!!!

I am looking forward to posting on here, and learning much, much more :D

Last edited:

priZZ

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't know which T You mean, but T. blondi is for sure not from Vietnam! :D

Just if somebody in Vietnam keep one! {D

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When you are doing a google search "birdeater " is what the cross reference is...as far as what a vietnamese bird eater is I have no idea...it is definatly not a T.blondi (goliath birdeater)....

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

brgn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think that Haplopelma sp. "longipedum" has been sold under that name on the US market. But it could also be H. sp. "Vietnam"(alot of sp. "Vietnam" have been sold under the name "longipedum")

Robert

m@rvin

Arachnopeon
Maybe he's thinking of some sort of Haplopelma species
I'll never understand why people use common names..!! :?

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
That is what I was thinking. It is like one of those *pet store* names. Just like I have seen them label curly hair t.'s as rose hairs. Things of that nature.
I will just tell him I need to see a picture of what he wants.

He has a customer asking for one, and saying he already owns one. I guess I will just tell him to tell the customer to get a pic to me somehow.

There are no spider people in this area. I am not kidding lol

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most likely to be Haplopelma sp."Vietnam", a slender velvety black tarantula with a patterned abdomen.

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
That is what I told him, that I need the scientific name. I figured it was a mislabled tarantula when he bought it. I thought about the Vietnamese Tiger.
Pet stores always try to make it sound like more than what it really is.

The Critter Connection (store) I visit, allows me to help them w/ their spiders,
and teach them thing. I wish they were all like that.

(Note: When I say pet store, I am not referring to the one I visit, or my first paragraph)