Extended Settle in Period?

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I bought my L. parahybana a few weeks ago who ate voraciously up until a transfer from the pet store critter keeper about two weeks ago.

Now I've rehoused a couple of my little guys, and with the exception of my Avic who took her sweet time, they all seem to settle in pretty quickly.

My LP hasn't eaten or moved more than a couple inchs from her log that I brought with from the old enclosure. I'm wondering if this is prolonging the settle in time. Is she just busy reminiscing about her old enclosure brought on by the old log that probably 'smells' of home? She doesn't appear to be in premolt, BTW.

Has anyone ever seen this behavior? Could it be linked to using parts of the old enclosure?' Did I miss some 'rule' about using old cork bark?

As a final note, I'm not worried about her, I'm sure she'll settle in her own time. She has water, peace and quiet in her heated closet, (76-86F) and food (dubia) offered every 4 days or so to see if she's hungry.

Thanks everyone, Happy Thanksgiving!
IMG_20151126_072618.jpg

Chris11

ArachnoBat
I cant tell how big it is, it doesnt appear mature but it is normal, they all take their time....

SpiderDad61

Arachnoknight
Yea my LP ran into the starter hide I made for it, when I transferred it to its new one. It stayed there for a week until it finally
exploring the enclosure and finally taking food. It's a jarring thing I assume for them to become accustomed, and I'm sure
every T has its own time it takes. As long as it has water , and u keep offering food, I'd say give the bugger time to adjust

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just leave her be she will settle in her own time. I'd try not to worry she looks in good health and as long as she has a water dish she should be fine and just keep offering food as you are doing

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I cant tell how big it is, it doesnt appear mature but it is normal, they all take their time....
She is far from mature, she's about 3.5 inches right now.

Has anyone ever noticed tarantulas sticking to familiar objects upon moving?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nothing wrong, leave it alone. People way over think the behavior of their critters, me included at times.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The big rump probably plays as big a role as anything IMO.
So turns out it was in premolt... Today the abdomen turned black and shiny... I feel bad for moving to a new enclosure now, though I was pretty concerned about the flies and swampy substrate the store included...

It's now moved up to 3" away from the log, though I suspect the impending molt is what is really motivating a broader search of the environment.
IMG_20151130_222130.jpg

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So today I got home after leaving her in the relatively same location she's been in since moving her to the enclosure. This time though, she was a little further in a corner stretched out like a star on 'er back. Do they usually molt out in the open like this?

soundsmith

Arachnopeon
So today I got home after leaving her in the relatively same location she's been in since moving her to the enclosure. This time though, she was a little further in a corner stretched out like a star on 'er back. Do they usually molt out in the open like this?
Individuals will vary. Some will do it exclusively, some will do it only sometimes, some will never.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Individuals will vary. Some will do it exclusively, some will do it only sometimes, some will never.
That is too strange to me. Either it's a very bold species (though I figured that wouldn't happen until it was a bit bigger) or a very brave tarantula.

soundsmith

Arachnopeon
That is too strange to me. Either it's a very bold species (though I figured that wouldn't happen until it was a bit bigger) or a very brave tarantula.
It just comes down to how secure the specimen feels. I have two LP's smaller than yours, one burrowed deep and is skittish as hell, the other doesn't even use the hide and is always out. The burrower molts in his burrow and the other one molts out in the open every time. They have identical enclosure setups, etc.

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
End of the day there is no specific settling in period/time frame. Every individual T will settle in their own time. As for molting I've noticed most of ours have molted in the open. Only had maybe 4 or 5 molts below ground/behind bark.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So I thought I would update seeing as she still hasn't really found a home other than the back corner scrunched up (I guess that's different than on top of the cork.)
Here's her in the top right of the image (she's my only tarantula who throws boluses in the water bowl EVERY time).
IMG_20160102_080742.jpg
Here's a side view. I removed the cork bark that was a little too big for her to fit around without dragging across it.
IMG_20160102_080712.jpg
Here's some concept art as to what I'm thinking of doing. (Yellow is cork bark)
IMG_20160102_081803.jpg

Will that work? I'll start a small hole with a couple fingers under the bark to let her (hopefully) build it herself.

cold blood

Staff member
Block everything with yellow and we can't tell....what is it you are hiding?

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You mean you didn't know I meant the the yellow that is more yellow in the yellow background?

My bad, how's this:
IMG_20160102_091458.jpg

For a direct comparison, the image directly above my 'yellow' image is the exact same picture without the art on top (it was cropped a touch).

cold blood

Staff member
why are you cropping it, what don't you want the public to see? The image you refer to does not show on my screen.

Its a beautiful enclosure, but I despise the ventilation.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
why are you cropping it, what don't you want the public to see? The image you refer to does not show on my screen.
See today's first post on this thread (from me) with pictures, picture number 2 is the 'unedited' version. Also, I was trying to reduce glare and get an up close picture all while avoiding pictures of my messy closet... :(

Unless... You are referring to something else you see? :anxious:

Its a beautiful enclosure, but I despise the ventilation.
Tell me about it, I worry about her getting stuck or sneaking out some day when she gets bigger and decides to mess with the mesh... I'm glad Jamie changed to the new enclosure type.

cold blood

Staff member
I just re-started my computer, I can't believe I am having to do this with AB, but NOW I see your other pics, prior just the last one appeared.

My computer set up has now been altered for some reason and there is a delay in everything...grrrrr.