Humidity levels

StephM

Arachnopeon
Just curious... I have 2 slings a G. Pulchripes and P. Metallica. Both are approx 2-3 months old. Their containers are too small to have a hydrometer in them so is it the humidity in the room I need to monitor or is their individual containers? Please help.

soundsmith

Arachnopeon
A lot of keepers are going to tell you to forget the hygrometer altogether, they are often inaccurate. You want to monitor each enclosure's humidity, but don't overthink it. 2-3 months old isn't really descriptive, you are better off posting the sizes even if it's just a rough estimation. For my smallest slings I just keep sphagnum moss on one side and drip water on it every day or two to keep it moist. If you see the specimen hanging out near the water source a lot, be it moss or water dish, that is usually an indication that they want more moisture in the enclosure. Also, a lot of people here are going to disagree with you getting a P. metallica as your first tarantula because they are considered an advanced keeper species due to their speed and venom potency, just so you know. Is it possible for you to post pictures of the enclosures?

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, smith is right, for a t enclosure a hygrometer is a WORTHLESS piece of equipment, not only are they notoriously inaccurate, but they are also completely unnecessary. Just keep a water dish available and keep an area of the sub damp, its really as simple as that. Beware anyone telling you that you need a number specific humidity level for any t....simplify.

The poec especially should be in an enclosure big enough for a water dish, like a 32oz deli cup....I'd have the pulchripes in a 16oz deli.

Make sure both have good cross ventilation.

Chris11

ArachnoBat
And also make sure the pulchripes has enough substrate dor digging... the poec might burrow as a sling but still make sure the enclosure is vertically oriented. +1 to what the previous posters said.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Keep the room humid; use a humidifier when the furnace is on.