Hoarding: Buried Alive [Molt Edition]

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So two of my tarantulas molted in the last week, my A. avic and my gbb. Both decided to take their molt and stash them in the back of their homes. I can't possibly get out without ruining their webs and I was really looking forward to the GBB molt to try and sex him. (It was my first time trying to sex and I destroyed the last molt. :wall:)

I've seen others with little hoarders that keep molts in their borrows and I was wondering how 'excessive' some people's tarantulas were.

What species kept the most molts and how many did you not get to see until a rehouse or your tarantula finally kicked them out?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Mine almost always toss their sheds out; some shove them into a trash corner.

It's a good idea to get experience vent sexing; I learned by looking at lots of pictures in that section of them forum. Most species can be sexed with a good degree of accuracy at 2". If having a female is important to you, it's also a good idea to get 3 to 5 unsexed slings of the same species. Sex ratios vary widely, and in my experience, a ratio of 60+% of males is common.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Had my B. vagans since it was 1.5 inches, molted 3 times,
and I have only ever seen pieces of the shed when it rearranges the sub. ;(

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So two of my tarantulas molted in the last week, my A. avic and my gbb. Both decided to take their molt and stash them in the back of their homes. I can't possibly get out without ruining their webs and I was really looking forward to the GBB molt to try and sex him. (It was my first time trying to sex and I destroyed the last molt. :wall:)

I've seen others with little hoarders that keep molts in their borrows and I was wondering how 'excessive' some people's tarantulas were.

What species kept the most molts and how many did you not get to see until a rehouse or your tarantula finally kicked them out?
Do NOT worry about ruining their webs. Also do not worry about their exoskeletons, they don't mold. I used to fish them out all the time in the beginning. Over time you realize they don't need a human hovering over them for their care. Crickets/water, the rest they can handle.

Chris11

ArachnoBat
Do NOT worry about ruining their webs. Also do not worry about their exoskeletons, they don't mold. I used to fish them out all the time in the beginning. Over time you realize they don't need a human hovering over them for their care. Crickets/water, the rest they can handle.
Great advice, Machiavelli couldnt have explained it better

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes of course, but that molt is just sitting there, mocking me...:drool:

On a more serious note, it probably wouldn't hurt to mess with the web, but really, I can wait. Why stress out my little one unnecessarily?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Yes of course, but that molt is just sitting there, mocking me...:drool:
I feel ya. GBB incorporates her moults into her webbing usually and A Avic has a lot of anger issues with hers -- completely trashed. I admit, I have a container I collect old moults in -- I do like to save them -- if exo is intact (not really into a bunch of random torn-apart exo parts).

Chris11

ArachnoBat
I feel ya. GBB incorporates her moults into her webbing usually and A Avic has a lot of anger issues with hers -- completely trashed. I admit, I have a container I collect old moults in -- I do like to save them -- if exo is intact (not really into a bunch of random torn-apart exo parts).
I save them too! only if theyre ine one piece!

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
My C.elegans when they were alive were the worst (they both turned out MMs :/ ). They only ever had one rehouse for obvious reasons but during that rehouse I found a whole treasure trove of things pushed down into their burrows. They'd been in condiment cups since they were tiny blue dots you could barely see til about halfway full grown and boy had they accumulated. There were a bunch of molts and boluses, all in a hoard down there. And when they moved into deli cups, they kept at it. When I sent the first one out on loan, I got a look at his burrow and found the same mess all over again. For a tarantula called 'elegans', they aren't very elegant in their house keeping.

Radium

Outlaw Valkyrie
What? Why? This needs explanation. XD
I get really grossed out by dead skin, so I guess it's that. Though I was so excited when one of my Ts molted with me for the first time that I forgot to feel itchy all over.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk