T stirmi bleeding? I noticed two clear drops coming out of my t stirmi

JustSomeDude

Arachnopeon
Hey guys I noticed two clear drops coming out of the joint area underneath the spider on the identical legs on both side I believe three back at the base of the joint. He also now refuses to eat when he is normally one of my most aggressive eaters. He also molted 2 months ago any ideas

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Fell? That's the most likely injury. How tall are the sides on the cage? Hard/sharp objects in the cage? I've got a bunch of stirmi and have never had bleeding.

JustSomeDude

Arachnopeon
t stirmi bleeding!.jpg

cage is covered in moss and about 4 inches of glass to the top of the screen. He literally was crawling around upside down on the mesh and rolled onto her back. Now I go to take a picture for sexing which I assume is a male and I notice this dot of creamy white substance on his underside.

cold blood

Staff member
cage is covered in moss and about 4 inches of glass to the top of the screen. He literally was crawling around upside down on the mesh and rolled onto her back.
Screen tops are bad news, not only do they lead to falls, but all too often they get the claws on their feet caught in them, they can easily lose limbs, be left hanging till you help or worse, die from a resulting fall. I suggest getting a piece of plexi-glass or acrylic cut to fit, then drill out ventilation and use that instead of the screen top...which is better if you are keeping hamsters.

SpiderDad61

Arachnoknight
I agree with Cold. My stirmi non stop roams around her enclosure, looking to escape. If it were a screen top, it would have
hooks caught or worse long ago. They tend to wander so keep it safe in there. As for the leakage, I'm not informed enough to
Comment on that

JustSomeDude

Arachnopeon
Yea I hate the screen tops I'm gonna pick up some plexi tomorrow can I get away ripping plexi down on my table saw or jig it?

---------- Post added 11-29-2015 at 09:42 PM ----------

Update the big daddy is no longer bleeding but running around the enclosure a lot more at night. He is also feeding again

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yea I hate the screen tops I'm gonna pick up some plexi tomorrow can I get away ripping plexi down on my table saw or jig it?
Can't comment on the jigsaw, but an acrylic cutter works just fine. They're about $5 at any hardware store. You just score and snap, works every time. Maybe someone else with experience in saws can comment? I'm not exactly handy, and I'm fond of my thumbs, so I'm lucky that I own a drill let alone a table saw.

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

---------- Post added 11-29-2015 at 09:42 PM ----------

Update the big daddy is no longer bleeding but running around the enclosure a lot more at night. He is also feeding again
A jig saw will crack the acrylic and leave an ugly cut. A table saw will work ok if you are running at high rpm and have a very fine sharp blade too courrse a blade will also crack the acrylic and leave a rough and ugly cut.

JustSomeDude

Arachnopeon
I am guessing that this material is better off scored and snapped like sheetrock right?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I'm not sure if this is the best fix but,I have a screen lid and I lined the inside with tape, covering all of the mesh. Then I poked a lot of holes through it. I also open the lid just in case it's not enough ventilation.

JustSomeDude

Arachnopeon
that's interesting! Not a bad idea. I am going to check my local hardware store and then go for the major ones like HD and Lowes. Update on my T Stirmi He has now finally burrowed down under his cork bark den I set up and it seems He used moss to almost completely close off his den. Pretty cool if you ask me I am just glad that he is not out wandering the nights!