Frequency Response of Tarantulas

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I recently found a great report on tarantula vision that talks about the different wavelength responses of tarantula's eyes.

I was wondering if anyone has found/knows of any studies or information on vibrational frequency response.

What is the upper and lower limit of vibration can they feel? Plots would be cool.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No idea. You should do some experiments!

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So the only way I've found to collect data on sound/vibration response on animals without the ability to learn from a reward system (birds,dogs, monkeys, etc) is to use needles in the brain or electrodes near the brain on the scalp.

Now I assume my guys and gals will profusely object to me putting electrodes on their carapaces and I object to killing my tarantulas with needles, so it kinda seems I'm stuck with behavioral response to sounds. Should be nice and tedious...

Anyone have anything that might be useful as far as behavior goes? Should I just be looking for a sudden jump or movement response?
I've read posts where people play the guitar with an amp and it made their tarantula(s) go crazy.

I will probably write a program to have my computer speakers cycle through frequencies and wait for an input from me to tell it if there was a response. Other than that, I might be able to setup a motion detection formula to cycle through frequencies until movement happens...

Anyone have any thoughts?

If I ever ended up writing a standalone executable, would anyone be interested in running it for their tarantulas for data?

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
It would be hard to know if they're affected or not since their reaction can range from running away to staying perfectly motionless(which they may already be doing). You'd have to wait for them to be active first to see if it disrupts their normal operations(which also often include long motionless pauses).

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
this is a very thought provoking idea! It seems though that any data that would be collected re: reactions to the different frequencies would, by definition, be very subjective. You would have to rely on body language as much as movements. For example, Them scrunching up their legs over they're body or stretching all their legs out and "hugging" the ground. something along those lines, then you would need to interpret if either one or both are signs of pleasure or otherwise.

I don't think I'm getting my meaning across, but I'm hoping people will get what I'm trying to say anyway. :)

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well this sort of throws a wrench in my thinking... I have relatively little experience in tarantula body language. Does anyone have any recommendations as to whom I can speak with about these movements?

I've seen the following:
Motionless ("this certainly is a nice spot", or " I think I saw something... I'll wait and see..." :unsure:)
Exploring ("I've never noticed this chunk of substrate before." :geek:)
Cautious movement ("Oh boy, oh boy that cricket looks tasty! It'll never see me comin'!" :ninja:)
Teleport ("EEK! A human!" :eek:)

Now, sure there may have been a bit of personification here, but are there any other tarantula motion/reactions that could be relevant to this experiment?

I was assuming I'd be seeing more of the last one but I guess that would probably be a level or two after the stop of movement which could be from vibration... or them just deciding to stop moving...

Though this would be why I'd like help gathering data. I could analyze the data statistically and possibly remove outliers.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
Those 4 are pretty much all of their possible motion, but the reaction is not as easy since it can vary depending on a multitude of factors and between specimens.

The subject would have to be observed and you'd need to take notes on the normal activities of the subject as well as their reaction to a stimuli you know affect them(like flicking the wall of their enclosure or something like that).

Depending on where it's at in the enclosure, it could decide it well camouflaged where it currently is if it sees a threat, it could decide to flee immediately if it's right next to her hide or it could decide to take it on and do a threat posture if she feels like it. They won't always react the same way to a certain stimuli in my experience so that would make it pretty hard to gather accurate data.